Ff13 steam!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Hisenburg, Sep 18, 2014.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Yeah it's going to be a grind alright, primarily to get the characters upgraded but also to upgrade the actual items.

Unfortunately it also seems like you won't be able to revisit any location from chapter 1 to 10 after finishing the game but you can visit parts of Gran Pulse and the two other areas, that said it looks like you can buy everything in this game so no chance of missing some rare item although if you do miss stuff purchasing them will cost a bit.
    (For achievement purposes finishing the creature database is something you can miss for certain rarer enemies if you forget to use the Libra technique.)

2. Emille

Emille Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    From what I have read it is not so much grinding as exploiting the weapon upgrade system.

You basically keep all your components through the game, keep all your money and don't buy weapons thaat aren't that much better and then pump components into them to give the weapons xp and when they reach the threshold you use the catalyst item to push it to the next weapon level...then do it again.

Do that for all your gear to buff it up.

3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    So i decided to persevere with this on the ps3 given the previous post from others that mention the game opens up and gets better once you get access to the paradigm (or whats it called) thing. But...

While im sure it may open up more further on, the battle system and the characters are just beyond forgivable imo.

First the battle system:
    Gone are the days of selecting each party members attacks during battle, instead your left with only choosing your own while also playing doctor to your other two party members as potions are one of only two interactions you have with your party members during battle with the other interaction being able to select Defensive mode or Attack mode. I fail to see why the player is responsible for the whole parties HP, yet cannot select specific attacks for each party member. This just leads to most battles of harder difficulty being won on sheer luck as even if you know party member Y has a better attack, since they're constantly on auto pilot, they just spam their most basic attack leaving you at constant disadvantage. It feels like an artificial difficulty since pretty much every battle can be won just by pressing X.

The Characters:
    Hope needs to be shot, lighting... i have never come across such a bland character in all my time gaming. How the hell does she have such a massive fan base? Theres nothing to like....or really even dislike...cos theres nothing there, shes just completely void of personality. Sach is probably the only likeable character imo. Oh and that twat with the pink pigtails! Whoever did the voice acting for her is terrible, she goes from sounding Australian to Boston like to sounding like a digimon character.

Theres nothing Final Fantasy about this game, it just feels so void of anything that made the previous entries (whether good or bad) feel like a final fantasy game. This just seems so mediocre and again, would of been far better suited to being a mobile touchscreen game, hell, you could play this game using a controller that consisted of nothing but a d-pad, an 'A' and 'B' button. The entire time im playing 13, i just want to load up FFX or even The Last Remnant. Even the last remnant feels more 'alive' and FF like then this beyond avg game. A terrible FF and terrible... well, I wouldnt call it an RPG as its devoid of anything RPG like beyond word play ( magic,HP,MP etc) and equipping weapons and unfortunately it seems the next FF is going to be more this style.

Everyday modern games are giving me a reason to not even bother.

4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    If you want a game like final fantasy was, check out bravely default on 3ds, class system, work map, equipment, not totally linear

5. Hisenburg

Hisenburg Banned

GPU:
    HIS 290x
    Who the f*ck is sach? Do you mean Sazh? If so then your post is completely null and void. Sazh is the worst character ever put into any final fantasy game ever. In fact hes the worst character put in any game...EVER!

6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Oh sorry sweetheart... did i offend your waifu's honor Hisenburg Son.

[​IMG]

On a more serious note, im saying sazh's is the least annoying out of all the characters. This game has successfully managed to have an entire cast consist of emo wrist cutting whiners whos parents were far to over protective of them and their emotions that even just going to a different location requires that the entire cast take a handful of anti-depressants.

The problem is not just with FF13, but all of anime and Jrpgs since about 2010. Its been taken over by whiny little children who seem to have never experienced anything else in life except being spoon feed, so once out in the real (fictional) world, they crumble at even just the thought of conversing with another human being. Its almost as if anime and jrpgs are now created by the fans that have those weird arse pillows and character shrines.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  7. typeAlpha

typeAlpha Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi 7850 2GB
    Try Trails in the Sky/Sora no Kiseki for a good JRPG on PC, turn-based, likeable non-whiny characters and interesting story. I completed the 1st chapter just over a month ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Graphics are old school but do the job well and still look nice. I'm just starting the 2nd chapter now and it should be out in English later this year for those who can't read japanese.

As for FFXIII, I have to agree with all your points. I managed to put 2 1/2 hrs into the game before I scrubbed it from my HDD. I got tired of pressing 'A' and the gibbering bland uninteresting story and characters, found my gaze wandering from the screen during battle it's that mundane. It is pretty though, I'll give it that. RIP Final Fantasy.

8. Hisenburg

Hisenburg Banned

GPU:
    HIS 290x
    I have no clue what your upper paragraph means. WTF is a waifu? Are we from japan? Sazh is the worst character ever put in a video game since the history of gaming. I hate that guy with all my passion.

9. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    As with any game, it depends on what you're playing. Modern iterations of Final Fantasy are JRPG CoD in my opinion, as someone suggested Trails in the Sky is a fantastic game which is nothing like the tropes you've described. Reminds me of Grandia in a few ways, I loved every minute of it.

...I'm also pretty sure I read a post where someone stated the "real-time" combat in FF13 is the best in a JRPG. You really need to play Star Ocean (The most recent release) or some of the better Tales games if real time combat is your thing.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  10. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Thanks for the jrpgs suggestions everyone! I have Star Ocean The Last Hope on PS3 so might start a game of that. Also, Grandia, what a game. Think ill go pick it up for my psvita if its on the store.

Anyone remember Legend of Dragoon... brilliant game.

Might see what mods there are for FF8 and FF7 steam version. Though i remember setting up mods for my steam version of FF7 (was like a 16gb mod pack) and then steam went and did an auto update even though it was set to no auto updates and screwed everything up:bang:.

Its a shame about FF13, I feel compelled to play it, but everytime i reload a game, i remember why i hit Esc last time.

@Hisenburg
    [​IMG]

Also, PCSX2 runs a hell alot better on win8.1. FFX and 12 run at there native fps constantly using DX11 driver.

11. typeAlpha

typeAlpha Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi 7850 2GB
    ^I've actually never played Legend of the Dragoon must have gone completely below my radar, just had a look and I like what I see! :) I'll give it a try in pSX once I've completed Trails/Ch2.

Also, you've probably played it but if not - Xenogears for PSX is brilliant, great turn based combat with combo's, excellent dark storyline and likeable characters, probably my favourite RPG from the 90's. People slate the 2nd disc a bit but it's still a great game, I rank it higher than FF7.

12. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Xenogears, yeah i remember watching a review or two on youtube awhile ago. It seems you have to go pretty far to find someone who was into rpgs during the 90's.. that didnt like and rate it in their top 10.

Yeah, legend of dragoon has to be one of my fav jrpgs, probably my no2. Its just plain old school PSX rpg, cant go wrong really.

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/292120/announcements/detail/251400071459323982

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Nice, always something.

BTW, I stumbled across this guide regarding game folder size. Apparently everyone outside Asia gets both the English and Japanese version of the game. Pretty pointless of course!

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=324566956

You can shave off 20GB by deleting all Japanese pre-rendered movies and that's just a start.

15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2

16. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Does it say added Resolution options!? Its just a fix for ESC, so it asks for confirmation now. Other fixes will eventually come later, no word of other resolutions will be added!

17. Emille

Emille Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I am up to chapter 9. I can't check right now but I think I am probably 20-25 hours in.

Also I did a bit of reading and there is all sorts of post game content, warping to different areas of the game to get things you missed...secret locations unlocked, getting the ultime weapons etc

18. Emille

Emille Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    45 hours in and just started chaper 12 of 13. Probably another 6 or more hours to go.

There is also a lot of post game content from what I have read.

Now that I have the combat nailed the second playthrough should be fun.

19. Riffmaster

Riffmaster Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580 Lightning Extreme
    This game is fun. Haven't played any FF game since VI (unfinished VII and VIII doesn't count). The battle system is probably one of the best in the series. I kinda blitz through chapters 1-10, using just auto-battle most of the time. Some specific skill usage against some bosses, like Cid Raines (which is an awesome fight despite me dying several times), but nothing too major like Paradigm switching tricks along with good skill rotations and gear switching that are needed to kill most of the monsters in Chapter 11 Archylte Steppe. After finsihing Chapter 11 (unlocks stage 9 Crystarium), I completed most Missions up to 62, except the fight against the giant Cactuar, before proceeding to the main storyline again, although most are like 0 to 1 star rating lol. I'll probably 5-star them all once I finish the main story :D

Man this game has great visuals and effects, more than I expected from an aged PS3 port. Playing with Gedosato that downsamples 4k to 1080p plus some settings like HDR and Bloom enabled, among others, boy the game looks really good and comes alive, more so in the open area of Archylte. My FPS drops to 30 fps though, but it locks there and stays constant, so its ok. Sometimes it dips to 15 and 20 (locks at these FPS, not/none in between), but that's only in a few places.

20. Hisenburg

Hisenburg Banned

GPU:
    HIS 290x
    How? I finished it with 17 hours...And to the poster above me. Are you a gamer? This is one of the worst in the FF series. Combat is TERRIBLE. Extremely linear. I can't think of an FF that is worse. Not as bad as your average person said but it was pretty bad by FF standards. FF8 is FAR better than 13.