Ff13 steam!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Hisenburg, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Damn, I know this is cheap but as mentioned if someone on the net can add higher resolution support in a few hours it's hard to understand why even a super cheap port doesn't support it natively.

I'm not really a fan of FF, even VII so I don't overly care, but was curious to see try this out so this is disappointing.

Sounds like I would be better off with a cheap PS3 copy.

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    That's just the point though: Square-Enix normally DO care about PC as their other games - Hitman Absolution, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Tomb Raider, etc. - have all been great PC games with all the graphics settings you would expect from a modern PC game.

The problem is that, like Dark Souls on PC, this game has been ported over by a Japanese not western developer who are likely not very experienced with creating PC games. That isn't so much their fault though as Square-Enix would really should have made sure that this port was up to the same standards as their other PC games. Perhaps they were trying to cut costs and this is why the game is so unusally cheap? That said, all PC games should have at least a resolution, anti-aliasing and v-sync option IMO.

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Is it not more along the lines of that they're japanese developers and don't exactly keep at the forefront of how pc's work since most things are console related? Pc gaming in japan isn't much of a thing until recently, visual novels mostly.

See this one from From Software (terrible sentence).

4. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't think they are ignorant, they priced it low as they were not willing to spend any money on the port.

I think that is a mistake though, I think this game would make a lot more money if it they priced it higher and spend more money on the port.

5. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If it has to be cheap due to being old then not a surprise it's a poor port, still can't let the resolution thing slip though not when it can be fixed so easily.

No matter the age, making it a good port and calling it a HD Remake would probably make them more money, but who knows as im unsure how large the market is for JRPGs on the PC.

6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970

I didnt know Epic Mickey 2 was on Steam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Me buying now!

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Sorry but, honestly, how much money would it really have cost to have added a resolution option? Is it that complicated to code into a game? Somehow, I doubt very much it. It would probably have taken a few hours to code and test at most, is my guess, even if was just adding a selection of 16:9 resolutions upto and including 3840x2160. :3eyes:

8. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Exactly, if it took a guy on the net a few hours to fix then there is no excuse.

It's stupid as surely someone at SE must of realised skipping a tiny amount of work that would cost them nearly nothing could have a serious affect on sales.

9. Emille

Emille Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    So apparently the tool to increase res has bonus features lik e

*broken lighting
    *extremely blurred image

Is it really native or just some cheap stretching/upscaling that isn't actually increasing the res?

10. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    It is proper resolutions. People are posting screens of up to 15000k in that neogaf thread and i have to say, it looks pretty damn good.

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    You have to use 16:9, other aspects have smaller issues but can still be used.
    (I tested 1920x1080 to 3840x2160 which worked fine but my monitor supports 1920x1200 so I switched to that and downsampled from 3840x2400 instead which has some issues with the depth of field effect, both used lanczos scaling.)

12. Slikar

Slikar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    Uh... i doubt this game was even beta tested for PC release. I try to run it on my iGPU currently and can't. GPU clocks are at IDLE and i get 20fps and 60% gpu usage, stock without any mods. I can't seem to find how can i force clocks in 3D mode so i can get 30fps. This needs a patch so badly , or maybe better driver compatibility

13. typeAlpha

typeAlpha Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi 7850 2GB
    As a big fan of FF upto 9, like an idiot I caved in and bought this hoping it wouldn't be too bad. Used afterburner to lock fps to 30 which would be fine but it stutters like mad in places even though the fps is constant 30. Aside from the technical problems the game itself is awful, I almost found myself drifting in and out of consciousness during battles while hammering the 'A' button, no challenge, no depth. Finding it hard to like the characters too though my bf liked Lightning but he's a perv.

Only just over an hour in but if it doesn't improve within the next I'll be wiping it off my hdd and chalk it down to experience. Sorely disappointed with the way FF has gone. :(

14. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Honestly, the mash A continues on for quite a while, until you can chop and change your characters paradigms it isn't much of a challenge, and even then it's nothing compared to FF<=10.

15. typeAlpha

typeAlpha Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi 7850 2GB
    My will to play this game is rapidly diminishing. :cry:

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Exactly. No-one is going to be buying the ports of Final Fantasy XIII-2 or Lightning Returns if they are the same as this. I know I definitely won't be!

17. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It just makes the game look overpriced, considering many of the flaws make this worse than the PS3 version, £11 is just too much.

£4.99 maybe as i'm sure i could easily pick up a pre-owned copy of this on the PS3 for less than a fiver.

18. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I've been watching reviews/gameplay etc to try and convince myself to give this a go on the ps3. Honestly though, this is about as much of an rpg as far cry 3 is. Not only is it just mash X to win, but it also seems to take nearly half the game to give even the slightest bit of freedom and in combat only.

I would say this FF should have been nothing but a shiny iOS touch-game exclusive for the ipad.

The fact that some find this a decent FF game let alone a decent game and enough to go on about this waifu **** ive been exposed to on my quest to give two squirts of piss about this game (im about ready to sue the gaming gods for mental scaring) is something i find borderline offensive to my hobby.

Seriously, the last gen consoles quest to market to the widest audience possible has destroyed alot of great gaming IPs to the point where they're nothing but drawn out mash button to win quick time events that would be more at home on Android or iOS.

And if i hear that whiny mother****** Hope complain one more time....

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    The game looks better on my 55 inch 1080p LED TV than on my monitor :) Not that I complain :D Nice to sit on the sofa.

20. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I bought it simply to support the JRPG/Japanese market, I don't even particularly like the game. It might seem odd, but if the game sells decently we could see more titles come out in the future. Hopefully with more polish.