Fermi Cards - Powersavings Driver Issue (GTX460 only or all Fermis)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BetA, Jul 31, 2010.

?

DPC Issues or not? What u got?

1. GF100 - Yes, i also have these Issues

10 vote(s)
    5.5%
  2. GF100 - No, I dont have these Issues

45 vote(s)
    24.9%
  3. GF104 - Yes, I have these Issues

39 vote(s)
    21.5%
  4. GF104 - No, I dont have these Issues

31 vote(s)
    17.1%
  5. Other GF - Yes, I have also Issues

6 vote(s)
    3.3%
  6. Other GF - No, I dont have those issues

8 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. What the Hell are you talking about ?

42 vote(s)
    23.2%
  1. tehalirigsho

tehalirigsho Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 SC
    this is similar to what i was thinking...
    so why cant they just offer another bios update for these cards that would force full power mode at all times?

2. terau

terau New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB
    The cause of the problem is that screen buffers are transfered too slow between ram and video ram in the low c-state.

When you disable aero there is no compositing manager so there are no buffers to be processed and transfered because of direct rendering. Thats why you dont see a lot the problem there.

The vram memory is stressed when you have a window producing e.g. animations in the background (not focused, but still visible).

To see the bug in dpc you must not have the DPC latency checker focused. All motherboards are affected, some more some less because of different quality of interrupt timers. The nvidia low c-state can cause sound problems everywhere, even if the dpc seems good.

The best way to test it is to make the dpc window maximized and then open an other small window to take away the focus.

In my opinion, the gtx 460 lowest c-state is broken by design. It was selected to be that low so that it can be competitive with idle power consumption of ati 5xxx cards, ignoring the serious problems.

If nvidia fixes this problem it will basically be a workaround, not fix, that will make the gtx460 draw 30 or more watts on idle. If this was done on release noone would buy that card. The reviewers as always have no idea what is going on and just look at the watt-ometer.

A bugged DPC like that can not only cause sound problems, but also reduce cpu performance and disk performance (esp. ssd).

The exact same problem remains unsolved for nvidia notebook users for year(s), (look at notebookreview forums).

Thats why I hope Im wrong...

3. Theliel

Theliel Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7600GT 600/1800
    Im not in agreement with you, sorry:

1º. Not all nvidia 460 card and configurations are afected. For example, some days ago my own system had the DPC latency problem. Now, my system work perfectly when 460 work on idle mode, without any DPC issues or audio problems (ASIO or WASAPI). You can check my past images (and yes, with and without windows focuses). The same are applied to other users.

2º. Microsoft WPA confirmed that DPC latency was caused by nVidia Driver and Windows Component. I dont know if notebook problems will be the same or not, but in this case im sure its a driver problem.

3º. Even in pure idle mode (P-State P12) , 460 cards dont have any problem to manage some simple and short transfers of RAM, neither vRAM speed (130Mhz aprox on idle mode), PCI-e Bus (2.0 <-> 1.1) or GPU clock (shaders/clock)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  4. tehalirigsho

tehalirigsho Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 SC
    this is crazy... my system can play crysis perfectly now but it has troubles dragging a file browser window around the desktop... wtf?

5. texasrattler

texasrattler Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    The only problem I see is when more than one app/window is open you can get a slight pause/jerk when moving it around. I can't say for 100% that is related to dpc,nvidia or whatever. I do not recall having these or any issues with my gtx260. As one poster mentioned, there has only been 1 driver released for the 460(officially) so you do have to take that into consideration. I still believe though that to many companies just ignore quality testing that should be done in-house and not by the end user. But companies have deadlines to keep and shareholders to please.

6. Mastertje

Mastertje New Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 460 1GB
    I temporarily have quite an old mobo and cpu, so these problems are really bothering me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was planning on a new mobo+cpu+memory.. but not just yet.

No problems at all with the microsoft video drivers, or an older 7800GT with the same new drivers.

7. stiviwow

stiviwow New Member

GPU:
    MSI Cyclone GTX 460 768mb
    Hey uhh, I'm having this exact same problem too, my specs are in the sidebar thingy.

Just posting to let you know that this problem is very real and pissing me the **** off.:bang:

Is there any temporary fixes so far?

8. tehalirigsho

tehalirigsho Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 SC
    thank you BetA13 for bringing this issue to everyones attention.
    as soon as new 260 series drivers are released i will give update and hope others do too :)

9. Ukraver

Ukraver Master Guru

GPU:
    msi r280x oc
    IS A BIGGY THIS

real problem for u new 460 owners id be real pissed if i had bought 1

quick question tho , why has none of the expert reviews picked this up ?

10. stiviwow

stiviwow New Member

GPU:
    MSI Cyclone GTX 460 768mb
    I dont think they'd post that in their review after they got those free cards from the company :p

Also, whats the ETA on these new drivers?

11. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
  12. Darkje

Darkje Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX660ti DCII
    have gf100 and nothing is wrong... voted so
    [​IMG]

13. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    oh boy, another one who cant read :)
    its only about gt104 (gtx460)

if u have a gt100...be happy and learn to read threads before u post..lol

14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I don't bet, I just hope people would sometimes read my posts, before whining about DPC latency, FIRST turn of HPET support on your BIOS.

HPET: High Precision Event Timer

Sounds all nice and dandy but it really adds DPC latency and if you get timing issues when it's off:

- Windows XP: /usepmtimer in boot.ini
    - Windows Vista/7: type cmd in run, type: bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

I'm not saying it's the cause every time, but I had massive dpc latencies aswell until I turned of HPET and as far as I can tell, it's enabled on most BIOS's by default. I shouldn't be a problem in Windows XP though, since Windows XP doesn not support HPET (but applications still can).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  15. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    that was allredy discussed and didnt helped it..
    Its Nvidia-driver relatet....

So the new WIndows Microsoft Drivers 259.47 fixed it from what i was reading...so i hope in the new Nvidia Drivers, 260.xx they fix it too and the Prob is gone ;)

lets wait and see what happens...

greetz Beta

16. Mastertje

Mastertje New Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 460 1GB
  17. Theliel

Theliel Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7600GT 600/1800
    the next monday/Tuesday doubts will be clarified if 260.X fix the problem

18. Darkje

Darkje Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX660ti DCII
    I see my fault now ;) not having the best of days... srry peeps

19. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    no problem...
    everyone got his days, lol..:)

greetz Beta

20. terau

terau New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB
    259.47 completely fixed the DPC problem for me as well. Good job NVIDIA.