Fermi Cards - Powersavings Driver Issue (GTX460 only or all Fermis)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BetA, Jul 31, 2010.

?

DPC Issues or not? What u got?

1. GF100 - Yes, i also have these Issues

10 vote(s)
    5.5%
  2. GF100 - No, I dont have these Issues

45 vote(s)
    24.9%
  3. GF104 - Yes, I have these Issues

39 vote(s)
    21.5%
  4. GF104 - No, I dont have these Issues

31 vote(s)
    17.1%
  5. Other GF - Yes, I have also Issues

6 vote(s)
    3.3%
  6. Other GF - No, I dont have those issues

8 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. What the Hell are you talking about ?

42 vote(s)
    23.2%
  1. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    Fermi Cards - Powersavings (Downclock) Driver Issue (GTX460 only or all Fermis)

Hy Everyone...

I recently made an Discover...

So i make an Poll (THX to Shadow Myth with Helping;)

Please write what GFX u Have and what Driver u are using.
    Also what OS (32 or 64bit) and if or u use dualview or have more then 1 monitor installed..
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Problem is that i get High DCP Spikes, while the GPU is on Throttle (2dMode) or has nothing to do..

when its in 3D Mode (kombuster or Video playing in Background) Everything is fine, no Spikes at all..

When its on low power mode, Idle, nothing to render, no video etc etc, the Spikes are damn High...

Hers a sample of what i mean: (pics say more then Words in that case)
    Red lines Color is no spike 3d half mode, Video was on play..
    Blue lines color is when player is stopped and the gpu in 2d mode..
    [​IMG]

i also rechekked this with my old 9800gtx that has no power savings option or downclock in 2d mode, and there are no DPC spikes, issues or whatever....
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i even reinstalled windows, etc etc, everything u could imagine;)

Heres teh Thread with Pics and Proof.....

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=326155
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So, lets see your Cards Guys, and let us Work this out...

What u need:

DPC Latency Chekker
    MSI Afterburner for Monitoring
    DpcIsrTracing (dunno anymore where i got it from but ill upload it)

and you need a lil time....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Downloads:
    -------------------
    DPC LAtency:
    http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    MSI Afterburner, i dont really need to tell you where u get it, do i?
    DpcIsrTracing:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?yz46ghfaxhvqq83

some info:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff190898(VS.85).aspx

Tutorial for this Tool:

How to get a DPC/ISR trace report for Windows 7 (and Vista)

- Run the setup.bat file to install the correct version of the Windows Performance Toolkit for your system. Choose the "Complete" install option.

- Right click the RunDpcIsrTrace.bat file and select "Run as Administrator".

Now wait at least till the Number counts down to 100 or 90..u can also wait till its complete finished, but it takes awhile and the result will be big (700mb in some cases...)

- Once the process is complete, double click the "Home Folder - Shortcut" to go to your home folder. The output file with your DPC/ISR debug info should be saved here with the following filename:

%COMPUTERNAME%-dpcisr-report.txt

it could be that the file will be somewhere else.
    it looks like this:

[​IMG]

the first is the Graph, the second the Text file....
    now Please read the Other Thread First, so u have an idea what im talking about...

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=326155
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I hope we @ Guru3D will get that sortet out...;)

EDIT: if u guys dont understand what i mean, then just read the other thread or google..

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  2. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    Great, People voting but dont say what driver or vga they using..
    @ the guy who dont have this issue:
    please make a statement..what did u try? how did u chekked?
    what OS or anything u have?

just voting is kinda worthless..

greetz Beta....

3. ßÍöHÅZÅRD§pëRM

ßÍöHÅZÅRD§pëRM Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA-680 FTW+
    lol i just want to know what he had to black out in the screen shot:3eyes:

4. WacKEDmaN

WacKEDmaN Guest

umm i dont think this is a problem....its just the way the fermis work...
    the card in 2D mode is running at 51mhz..therefore it has to work hard just to display the desktop..(i think 51mhz is just too low..even for "idle"..which really isnt idle coz your always displaying 'something' on it while the pc is on)

ive only ever noticed this when running one monitor.. with 2 monitors it will never downclock to P12 or even P8. (P12=51core/135mem/101shader and P8=405core/324mem/810shader on the 470). it only ever drops to P3 (405core/1674mem/810shader)

i dont think drivers are this issue...coz the performance levels are set via the bios, eg..plug 2 monitors in and its always P3 or P0...before drivers are even installed

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2010

5. Trigunflame

Trigunflame Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC+ 850/2000
    [​IMG]

W7 x64 SP1 Beta / 258.96 drivers / 1 Monitor

Nothing wrong with mine.

6. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6900XT
    Windows 7 X64 / 258.96 / 2 Monitors 42' TV LCD - 24" LCD

I got problem with DPC everytime i do refresh to the desktop and it goes up and higher. it happened before firmware update and still happens, but the firmware fixed the higher temperature with the old bios with the 2 monitors, it's still high but the fan doesn't work on IDLE just to cool down.

7. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    No issues here. 258.96, Win7 x64

[​IMG]

@Beta, try typing this into a CMD as admin and reboot:

bcdedit /set useplatformclock yes

8. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX Titan SC
    No issue for me either. 258.96 Windows 7 x64

9. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz

youre not getting teh point, this is not happening when the Gpu has something to work..This is happening when everything is on idle, no matter what clocks or mode the VGA has...

i´ll make a video lol..

10. BCC335

BCC335 Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX 285/Evga GTX 480
    Had this issue on a Asus P5k deluxe w/Q6600 WinXPsp3. High spikes into Red while idle. Went to the Dpc Latency website:

http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

Basically, read tutorial and then go into device manager and disable each non critical device till spikes stop and you find the offending driver.

Turned out to be my Jmicron controller driver that I had just updated a week before from the Jmicron web site. This time i went to the Asus site and downloaded the last Asus jmicron driver for my motherboard. They were older but it solved the high spikes.

Currently with GTX 480 and 257.21 drivers on WinXPsp3/Win7 64 dual boot using 1 monitor I have no spikes.

11. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    i dont use Jmicron, its disabled in bios..
    and as I SAID BEFORE..i did what the tutorial said, i went to hardware manager and disabled step by step to figure out what it is..

It is the Nvidia Driver..read again, go to the other thread i postet there and read again, then u will see that it is Nvidia causing this..
    always when the GPU idles in 2d mode the spikes coming, when in 3d mode the spikes are gone..
    See here:
    [​IMG]

and here:
    NO NVIDIA DRIVERS INSTALLED!!!!!
    [​IMG]

NVIDIA DRIVERS INSTALLED:
    [​IMG]

Test 2:

in 3d Power mode while kombuster running:

nvlddmkm.sys
    554760 0.31 551979 0.31 498322 0.28 475250 *0.26* - latency

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Idle, nothing running, still high power mode enabled in NCP:

nvlddmkm.sys
    971376 0.88 867772 0.79 904130 0.82 905694 *0.82*-Latency

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sorry if this sounds a lil harsh, i had an bad day..lol..
    i know u trying to help and im very tahnkfull for it..dont blame me for it :)
    anyway, thanks for trying to help..

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  12. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I don't have this latency problem with my card either. I get spikes of 1000µs once in a while but nothing higher and not very often. Maybe you could try a different bios version for the card if there is one available.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    He's using a GTX460OC.....even using the same drivers, the GPU architecture varies slightly and thus the drivers will have a slightly different effect from a GTX465, 470 or 480....

14. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    no problem here at all, also DPC shows 40 up to 100 µs max when playing a game with Foobar2000 playing an mp3 and a dvd movie running.

it's known that sata JMICRON drivers are a big cause of this problem (i had this problem and i fixed by uninstalling the drivers), i recommend using the W7 default ones and uninstalling any sata Jmicron drivers you may have (either from manufacturer or the official jmicron drivers).... that is, IF your mobo got one of those.

otherwise it might be one of the many programs you installed, for instance CPU-Z installs a fecking .sys driver under the "non-plug-n-play" in the device manager, many programs also install this crap including antiviruses etc its quite possible one of these is causing the spikes, not necessarily your vga drivers.

15. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    @ year, sorry to say that , but did u read the whole thing here and the other thread?
    because iff, then u should know that i ruled everything out, i dont even have that jmicron thingy..
    and it is Nvidias driver or better the 2d mode..i made a new install of win7 and there where no tools, programms or whatever installed it was totaly empty and fresch..newest chipset drivers etc etc.., and without the nvidia drivers there where no spikes..after the nvidia driver was installed the spikes came back as soonest the card was in 2d mode..

and of course, when i run winamp, mpc hc, there are no spikes no more because the card is not in 2d mode anymore..

If you guys chek if you have the same problem, its IMPORTANT that there is NOTHING else running in the background, like winamp, firefox, gpu-z, etc etc etc..
    when the pc is in full idle and the vga in 2d mode the spikes are there...maybe its because u have an gtx480, thats an different card..

but i found 100% shure out that the nvidia drivers causing this..as u see in all of these pics..

its this one i talk about.
    Idle, nothing running, still high power mode enabled in NCP Gpu is in 2d mode:

nvlddmkm.sys
    971376 0.88 867772 0.79 904130 0.82 905694 *0.82*-Latency

u see that this file is causing high dpc latencys, and this file is Nvidia´s driver..

i tried everythiing, believe me mate..
    as i said, i went to the hardware manager and disabled everything one at a time to see if it makes a difference..nothing there, everything is fine..as soonest i made my win 7 new and had no NVIDIA DRIVER INSTALLED the Spikes where gone and it was like it should..
    but u need the Drivers to have the control panel, etc etc. so i installed them, and the spikes where back as soonest the 2d mode kicked in....see pics in the thread..its all there...

greetz Beta

16. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Hey BetA13 I just got my EVGA GTX 470 in about an hour ago & have tested the DPC latency & my results are superb. The highest I've gotten during gaming & while idle is 134 & the lowest 74, this is with the 258.96 drivers. This is actually much better than my previous gpu. You may want to think about RMAing it for a replacement or return it for another manufacture if possible.

17. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    ok sorry i must've missed a few posts :)

i dont think its because i have a gtx480, its probably has to do with how your particular card behaves with your entire system eg. mobo, pci-e slot etc, which of course happens when the card switch from Full Power to Adaptive (2d mode).

if you ruled out everything then as you said the nvidia drivers are doing this for some reason.

try type in the run box: "services.msc"

then find the nvidia service and disable it, no need to reboot, then watch the DPC tool and see what happens, afterall this is part of the nvidia drivers. ;)

18. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    öhm i did that, and , argh whatever..
    I disabled nvidia service and drivers and the spikes went away but i allready said that.lol.

anyway, i have an statement from Gigaybte..they reproduced that problem..pic: ( yeah im not the only one with these Problems..)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so now they talking to gigabyte in china or taiwan or whatever to see if its either the driver or the Bios of the gtx460 Card..
    so i am right all the way..hehe lets see what happens next..hopefully they will akt fast and quick..
    anyway, gotta say gigabyte has an very nice support there, better then nvidia..but that is not really hard to beat lol..

greetings, Beta13

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  19. GoldenDrako

GoldenDrako Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 460 sli 768mb 840mhz
    NP here!!

no problems here and using for the 1st time qaudro 259.12 drivers

20. Hootmon

Hootmon Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    MSI GTX460 1GB with 258.96 drivers on Windows 7 x64.
    Not having the issue