Fermi and new drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by darkalexis1990, May 11, 2018.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    better to kill support for a product on a driver thats working and not be amd who does it with a driver thats broken.

2. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Is there anything that's broken for you with the current drivers?

I've got an GT 610 in my HTPC, which I also browse on and have tested a few games on Dolphin, and haven't noticed any issues.
    Fermi will get security fixes until February next year, but Nvidia sadly hasn't resolved to do any more bug fixes.

To be fair though, Nvidia did continue rebranding Fermi all the way into the Geforce 800M series. So Fermi can still be in alot of laptops that aren't even four years old yet.

I agree that performance optimizations and new features won't be usable on Fermi anyway (except for Dolphin/PCSX2 perhaps), but Nvidia's Legacy support could have included bug fixes as well

3. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Any engineer on Nvidia's payroll costs them money. Fermi's EOL now happening could be partly because Nvidia soon will have even more architectures to support.

Fermi did also get WDDM 2.3 support, OpenGL 4.6 and DX12 did also come to it in the end. If Fermi truly was Legacy for years, Nvidia would have just left it at the older versions.

4. at the moment means that will release another driver for fermi but undercover for quadro??

5. i cant understand when you add DX12 support on a product that is famous and popular even its 8 years old and you stop supporting it.

6. does anyone know what INF should i edit in order to install also 3D Vision? cause i need that also. im using GT 540M

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    they added dx12 to fermi to shut people up about the 'promise' to do so.

the architecture is thoroughly incapable of running anything implementing dx12 at a playable framerate.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  8. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The architecture is certainly capable of running DX12 FL11_0 but even the fastest GPUs of this architecture are just too slow for games which actually use DX12. So it was always a bit weird that they've even provided the support.

9. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    eh, i checked the performance against kepler, seems fermi is 1:1 perclock on dx 12 (compared a gf106 to a gk107 similar number of transistors), if your using something like a gtx 570 or 580 probably still pretty usable (gtx 660~ level),
    The bigger issues are lack of vram, litterally nobody targets bare minimum Fl11_0 or optimizes for fermi, and that the cards should be dieing pretty readily since they are ancient, they ran hot to begin with and they use TIM under the ihs which is long dried at this point.

I'm more surprised that kepler didn't get dropped at the same time, since it is also nearly as antiquated at this point, and shares similar limitations, guess there are too many chips still in use.

there may be another 391 branch driver down the line, but it will be purely for security fixes.

10. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    There are a lot of gaming Keplers out there still. It's also NV's fashion to drop one old architecture when there' a new one either coming soon or already launched.

11. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    nvidia tends to drop all gpus of a certain feature level at once,all of the sm3.0 dx9 gpus (6000-7000) were dropped at the same time, same for dx10 sm4 gpus the (8000- 200 series) and the dx 8 cards (geforce 4 and 3).

12. ok thanks for the answers. compairing the 391.35 and 391.58 drivers the folders that are missing from the 391.58 , if i copy them on the 391.58 will be installed from the installer or do i need to do something more?? also what inf should i edit to install 3d vision?? please somebody who knows anwsers me thanks!