Feature request: Display highest-load CPU thread/core

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Luminair, Jul 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luminair

Luminair New Member

GPU:
    It's common to have a "CPU utilization" value calculated as an average utilization across all logical CPU threads (as displayed in Windows Task Manager), but this is of limited use to the observer unless they are using applications which scale across many threads. Most applications DON'T scale across many threads, so you can end up with an uncomfortable situation where a 16 thread CPU is delivering maximum possible performance to an application yet the "CPU utilization" only says "6%". Compounding this poor communication is how Windows can rapidly move software threads around to different hardware threads, precluding the observer from pinning one logical thread for monitoring, confusing monitoring application algorithms, and obfuscating the true single-thread CPU load and application usage. As new CPUs are delivered with more cores and threads, this problem is amplified, and common "CPU utilization" monitoring becomes useless, with many tasks not being visible on utilization graphs despite clocking up a CPU to maximum boost and fully using one thread or core.

I propose a novel "max CPU single-thread utilization" (MCSTU) metric and accompanying "max CPU single-thread utilization application" metric for monitoring applications, so people can see when their CPU is being used, and by what application. These are complimentary to the "average" CPU and GPU utilization values commonly shown in monitoring applications ever since the days of 1-core CPUs where the average and the max was the same thing. Note the same phenomenon of average equaling max in many-core GPUs where all applications are maximally threaded.

Thank you for reading!

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

It is already available in internal HAL of OverlayEditor plugin in RTSS, it is used in sample overlay layout shipped with it.

Luminair likes this.
  3. Verne

Verne New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Are you referring to the bar graph that shows the CPU1/CPU2/etc CPU usage from "Internal HAL" source. If so are they any different than the same ones but from the "MSI Afterburner" source?

4. Unwinder

I'm referring to "CPU usage max", it is really hard to misinterpret the name.

5. Verne

Verne New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Yeah I saw that stat as a data source, I was just a little confused because it doesn't seem to actually be used in the sample.ovl. I could just be missing something obvious, but the sample editor only displays "CPU Usage" and CPU1,2,3,etc values like in the pictures I showed. Maybe that's just what you meant, but I'll play around with that value in my own charts. If I may ask is there a resource where I can find more about this "CPU usage max" and what exactly it means. I kinda get what the OP is saying and I've seen people mention similar concepts on other places, but no one's gone in depth as far as I know, and it's not something easy to just search online given the vague terminology. I just find a bunch of generic threads about max cpu usage and the like
    . upload_2022-8-11_2-29-58.png upload_2022-8-11_2-32-8.png

6. Unwinder

It is used in sample.ovl and it is visible on the screenshots you provided. Max logical processor/thread load history is displayed in background under per-thread usage bars.

Verne likes this.
  7. steviejay

steviejay Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX6800 16GB
    Kinda wanted to pick this up. Recently, I've become aware that the figure reported under CPU Usage is not tracking similarly to CPU Utility like it is in Task Manager.

I guess it happened after a bug I had with the video driver glitched some other settings (I could not get GPU Temps I think) but that got solved with the AMD 22.7.1 update (Series 31 driver). Didn't notice it before that.

I wasn't running MSI Afterburner in the video and had to window to allow HWiNFO and TM to on top. But Afterburner tracks CPU Usage and not CPU Utility like it must've previously. Can't set it in Afterburner.

Afterburner_CPU_Usage.png

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
  8. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti GamingZ Trio
    you set it via HWinfo not in afterburner

Right click what you want to show in the osd and there is a check
    box for "show in osd" it will how in the RTSS osd

9. Unwinder

Learn some basics. CPU Utility is NOT the same as CPU usage, they are not supposed to match by design. MSI afterburner never displayed utility as CPU usage and never will. “Utility” in task manager is stupid marketing trick from MS side, it is clock frequency scaled usage, it can be above 100% or below 100% if CPU is downclocked. And yes, search could give you the answer. Also, it was absolutely bad idea to spam the “issue” in COMPLETELY UNRELATED thread.

10. =GGC=Phantomblu

=GGC=Phantomblu Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6900XT
    I am in favor and say yes to your idea

11. Unwinder

Can we start reading the thread please instead of just adding some unrelated random comments? “CPU usage max” data source is already available for a long time and it was available prior to this thread creation. Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.