Fear 3 Huge fps loss during cutscenes and menu

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by cachudo, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Metz

Metz Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 5850 TOP CF
    The player movement and head bob gives an impression of lag but if you sit still and move the mouse its butter smooth. Something is still a little off though. When using no profile with RaedonPro i get about 50% usage, With Fear2 profile i get around 75% and seems to not stutter as much going from area to area. I know its not the same engine but it is the one that works the best for me at least. VSYNC in my case makes the game run a lot worse.

2. shimyns

shimyns Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    I have terrible stutter during cutscenes, too. The game itself is quite smooth, though.
    As mentioned here, CFX is hardly working. I'm using official 11.6 and CAP1.

I'm on the third chapter and there have been a few startling moments so far but not a lot. It's not scary (dead space was much scarier) but I wouldn't go as far as to say "FEAR3 = An episode of Casper the friendly ghost is scarier".

I must say that the graphics are actually quite nice. I'm playing it maxed with AAx2 @1900x1200 and it looks great. Not outstanding but great.

My card is DX10.1 so I'm not experiencing ALL of the DX11 features so I imagine that with DX11 it is slightly better looking.

I'm actually quite surprised that this game isn't getting more attention. This and Red faction Armageddon. While people were/are spending so much time on drivel like duke nukem' but ignoring these great games is beyond me...

3. FDisk

FDisk Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    Finally, I knew I was not paranoid. :3eyes:

http://store.steampowered.com/news/5768/

F.E.A.R 3 Update 1 info:
    Issues addressed in this version:

Stuttering and jerky movement at frame rates above 30 fps is fixed!
    Steam voice communication "push-to-talk" option is now fully supported
    4-player voice chat should no longer have audio drop-outs
    A rare bug that would cause enemies to stop spawning in Contractions is now fixed
    The game will now prefer Steam cloud storage over local file system storage
    Network connection reliability has been improved
    Support for wider than 16x9 aspect ratio displays has been added to support users with non-standard display devices and spanned multi-monitor displays like AMD Eyefinity and NVIDIA Surround
    An "options.cfg" file has been added to the F.E.A.R. 3 install directory for advanced user customization and troubleshooting. Included in this file are options to extend the FOV on narrow aspect ratio displays, reduce or remove motion blur, and to override driver-default settings for full-screen refresh rate, overscan, letterboxing, etc

Edit: Yep, just tested it. Runs smooth as butter now.
    Also added "-fov:85" to "options.cfg". Makes in much better for the eye. :infinity:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  4. Russ369

Russ369 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    Its nice that they finally added in eyefinity support but it doesnt detect my bezel compensated resolution... just maxes out at 5760x1080 or w/e... I need 6100x1080! grrr

5. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700 XT N+
    That's why they added in the option.cfg file in the main folder for advance editing. Just change your Resolution from there. :)

6. Russ369

Russ369 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    There is no setting in that file for custom res... It had some thing that expands the list of resolutions but it still doesn't work...

7. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT 16GB
    Im sorry but you habe got to be kidding me. Did it occur to you that, just maybe the game is not demanding on the gpu side? Especially if its running at 60+ fps, then wtf does it matter what gpu usuage you have. Especially if the game is running smooth. My 5770 doesnt even struggle with this game maxed out.

8. Cyris

Cyris Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    Scaling Problems in Fear3 and Crysis 2 with DX11 Patch :/ with HD6990 and 1920x1080

9. shimyns

shimyns Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    In case anyone's interested in knowing, I found that if you ALT-ENTER to windowed mode during cutscenes, they run smoothly. (Then, when they are done and you're ready to play, just ALT-ENTER back to fullscreen...).