Favorite Retro Console

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by IcE, Sep 24, 2012.

?

Favorite Retro Console

1. Pre-NES

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. NES

6 vote(s)
    9.0%
  3. Master System

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  4. Genesis

13 vote(s)
    19.4%
  5. SNES

21 vote(s)
    31.3%
  6. Saturn

4 vote(s)
    6.0%
  7. PlayStation

13 vote(s)
    19.4%
  8. Nintendo 64

6 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. Dude111

Dude111 Member Guru

GPU:
    Ahhhhh you liked so many games you couldnt decide which to play huh? (Arcade games were excellent in the early 80s (As was most everything else))

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Im going to say NES because it was the first console that we ever owned. Besides gaming on the PC. This was the first time gaming on a different format. Me and my bro pitched in on so many games for that thing. I grew up playing Mario & Duckhunt
    Mario 3
    all 3 TMNT games.
    Double Dragon 2 & 3
    etc.

I own an actual original NES top-loader for collecting purposes.

3. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Poor Master system is getting a pretty bad rap. I can't see why, that had some fantastic games.

Poll threads are a prime example where one vote really does make a difference.

4. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    Honestly, that was a great system. A couple friends of mine still rave and reminisce about it. Actually, few know it but the Sega Master Systems hardware was actually superior to that of the NES! Speaking of the NES, I am surprised to see that system with so few votes. Come on people, this is the original Nintendo... Super Mario Bros, Mega Man, Castlevania!!! I can understand the SNES votes though, that was a killer console.

5. Dude111

Dude111 Member Guru

GPU:
    I have an SNES but lost interest in it within a month or so....... (Not as fun as Atari 2600 (@ least not in my opinion))

6. fxmercenary

fxmercenary Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC Edition
    Agreed! There is nothing better than kicking back to the 80's and 90's for some internet-free multiplayer! And the best part of it all is the look on people's faces when they walk into the room, see the old TV, furniture and games!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  7. Damage_Plan

Damage_Plan Master Guru

GPU:
    Glalaxy GTX660 Ti GC 3GB
    I voted Playstation because it truly was an engrossing experience! it also had a large ass library of games (in the battle of Original XBOX/PS1, PS1 had more titles than the XBOX,

That doesnt mean that ALL games for the PS1 were awesome.. with that said it had some extremely hard hitting titles that had almost all bases covered (THPS series [THPS1 being my all time fave], Coolboarders, Star Ocean, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, and Twisted Metal just to name a few greats) If I wasnt playing Twisted Metal games, I stuck VERY close to Vigilante 8 Second Offense- that game was badass! ALSO: who remembers Croc: Legend of the Gobbos??

Untill the XBOX came into the picture, PS1 was my favorite console.. I had almost every console before the PS1 except for anything pre-NES.

Now when the XBOX appeared under my x-mas tree, it was all over for ps1, right after I got my xbox, I sold my unlucky, sad and worn out PS1 to the local EB games for credit towards XBOX titles. I have played a great many games, but not one FPS even came close to HALO Combat Evolved.

Then I quickly got taken by Doom 3 Ultimate and Halo 2..

I also favored the stealthy killing and awesome scenarios in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow- one of the best tactical stealth games I have ever played... The only thing that came close to that game was Deus Ex: Invisible War(no one liked this game as much as the very first Deus Ex) but I loved it.

Then I went on to buy the complete Burnout set with my favorite being Burnout 3 Takedown....... After playing with my XBOX for a couple of years I finally went to my store and bought a PS2 to sit next to my XBOX (and at that time it was as worn out as a hooker's p*ssy) but it still worked like a charm!

PS2 had all the titles I wanted to see for a while: THPS 3,4, Underground 1&2.

Amazingly, I wasnt very impressed with the console so after about a few months of having it, I traded the PS2 and all my games and got more games for my XBOX.

Its kindof sad lol, I was once on the Playstation team. Now I'm all XBOX!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  8. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Wow fxmercenary, that's quite a nice collection of swag. Hopefully my collection will be comparable at some point.

9. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    Wow, I forgot how big the boxes were back then....kinda makes me laugh.

Battletoads....how I hate thee for your impossibility.

I had an Atari 2600 but it was already old by then (1989/1990, I was born in 84). My dad then got a Nintendo and a Sega Genesis and for some reason I really loved Sonic so thats what I voted for: Genesis. I have sooooooo many memories with it, Sonic, that super hard Jurrasic Park game and whatever else I played back then haha. Nintendo was a very close second just because there were so many more games and its what all my friends had so we could play together.

After that I got into PC gaming (thanks dad) and the next console we had was a PS and I got my own N64 just for Goldeneye, Starfox64, DonkeyKong64 and Zelda.

10. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    My favorite? Turbografx-16 w/CD-Rom add-on drive. It was a groundbreaking system, being the very first with a CD drive. The musical scores produced for all their CD games were incredible.

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Dreamcast, it was a huge step forward in graphics and so many of their games were just plain fun to play. Sonic Adventure, the only 3d Sonic that was truely good imo. Shenmue for its original, low key gameplay and first really detailed, interactive environment. Too many to list.

SegaCD, i really liked it and they brought some nice PC ports with voice and music for those of us kids too poor to own a proper PC back then. Was big into adventure games and this was its strong point. A few genesis ports were nicer because they had CD music and CG footage compared to the originals.

Snes, lot of nice arcade ports here. Arcade games were typicall so much better than your average console game and the Snes had a good variety of ports, from SF2 to Knights of the Round. MarioWorld was epic of course and i spent tons of hours into that one (though i favor Mario 3 of any now)

Nes, only last on my list because its so old and their more difficult for me to replay nowadays, but probably the best gaming experiences i ever had, mostly cause of my age at the time. Never again will games offer that kind of magic like you get as a kid.
    River citry ransom, mario 3..c'mon

Not mentioning Genesis because their was a long period of time after SNES debut, of really poorly done, generic titles. Very few reached the quality of Strider, most were 2 and 4 meg hack jobs done as if to make a quick sale. Like Sword of Sodan or LastBattle. They had a number of gems, though much of which had a SNES version making Genesis somewhat of a POS really when choosing.

Along with the 3DO and CDi, that was one system i never really liked back then. $399 for the cd rom that didn't contain much more than the music and some cartoon or low res video clips that caused serious eyestrain.
    I remember playing it and a ton of loose games in a box at HHGregg store. Most of the games were like crisper versions of generic NES titles..Bonk,Legendary Axe, china warrior..etc...well two 8 bit processors didn't really fool anyone. The arcade ports they did were mostly the arcade titles few had heard of which didn't help them either. 1 game port, mono sound, too many peripherals needed to make it complete. Most rental stores never had it either, so many of the kids at the time rarely even had a chance to play one to make them want it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeap i agree, a whole 6 years(1988) before it really became standardised by Sonys infamous Playstation 1(1994).

6 years is a massively longtime in the computer/hardware/gaming industry,well it was back then,still is now but nowadays the evolution has slowed up quite abit,Turbografix was way ahead of its time even more than the Neo-Geo in some respects,why Hudsonsoft never released it in europe officially was a stupid move as it woulda sold by the bucketload especially with those Arcade perfect Conversions,in 1987 most gamers infact 99.9% of all gamers were using zx spectrums,c64's,Atari 400/800s and Amstrad CPC 464's,compared to what was available and being used in Japan at the time is literally mindblowing.

I dont think Europe was ready for the technological advancement at the time and the reason why hudsonsoft left europe alone,also games were a hobbyist thing back then,not like now were everyone has some sort of gaming device in the home next to the dvd/bluray/skybox,50inch 3D TV etc.

Way ahead of its time.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Snes, Nes, Playstation. Snes mostly cause that was the golden age of jrpg, now there to few and far between and few that do come out that are actually worthy of note arnt even on consoles.

14. Sabbath

Sabbath Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    My Favorite Retro Console was intellivision 2 & Favorite Retro game was lock n chase. It was so :supercool

15. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    hmmm...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotec GTX 1060 6GB
    I never was a fanboi until the Sega Genesis came out, then I became a Sega Fanboi and cried when they stop making consoles.

17. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i tried to be a sega fanboi back when the Master System was released, i thought the system looked much cooler and had better graphics, but when you realize the games sucked to play and all your friends are having a blast playing Punch Out, River Citry Ransom..etc, kinda hard to be the cool kid with the "Rebelious" system in comparisons

18. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    N64 was my first console and my favourite. Borrowed a PS1 for a short time but didn't really use it (had a ps2 as well that never saw more than a few hours use).

Still got my N64 in the loft, was the transparent turquoise blue one, it's boxed and in perfect condition.

19. bobdude

bobdude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
  20. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Megadrive + streets of rage + beers = win :)