Favorite Resource for Game Reviews?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ShadowMyth, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690

IGN and Gamespot, IGN mostly but i also check Gamespot because i like the site layout but i never take their scores too seriously, they're highly unreliable.

2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Metacritic + Pelit.

3. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    4players.de, guru3d forums, then youtube / gametrailers.com and finally ZeroPunctation lol. If the guy can't find anything to joke about a game it must be truly awesome. Watch the Batman video and you know what i mean. ;)

4. rayzorz

rayzorz Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680
    Don't trust many reviews these days. I go after what the majority of people who played it thinks instead.

5. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    Skoar is the only magzine I get here. Other than that, Gamespot, IGN. I watch a lot of youtube videos on games, atleast 2 or 3 a day:D

6. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
  7. horse

horse Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColour HD4870
    I find a good way is to look at a few reviews of games you enjoy on a site, to see whether they know what they are talking about.

To clarify my earlier comment, I find some review sites slam games that I really enjoyed - and that if I had listened to their review, I might never have experienced!

8. DannyBoy27

DannyBoy27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    Giantbomb and Zero Punctuation are usually pretty much all i need to make my decisions...

9. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ Zeropunctuation?? That guy is hillarious.. and hates everything! As funny as his posts are I don't think I would make a game decision based on what he says..

I prefer VGReleases and Gametrailers.. lets me know release dates and opinions.. I find it handy ;)

Worthplaying is good too..

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  10. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    There are some sources listed I haven't heard of before, must check 'em out.

11. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Wow, well I just finished playing The Path Demo after about 3 hours and went to Metacritic to see what people thought of the game, and I'm quite surprised that quite a few reviewers seem to think it is not a game, hmmm I think it is a game personally and a quite nice one at that. :thumbup:

So my point is, sometimes it's better to just try a game rather than read reviews all of the time. :thumbup:

12. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Agreed, but sometimes I don't have the time to try everything I may be interested in, so I like to have something to at the very least point me in the right direction, especially with a little known developer. In some cases there's no demo either, that when a review is most helpful.

13. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Yeah true, those days when I used to get home with my PC magazines and try out all the demos on the CDs are long gone, although I'm doing the same sort of thing on Steam now, just it would be nice if they had a lot more demos available. :(

14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Would be awesome if we had a industry standard for demos, like try out the full game for 2 days... oh wait nvm, you'd be able to finish 2/3 games these days.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Metacritic to get a "feel" for the game. If reviews are all positive then thats a good sign that I'll go for the game (though not necessarily that I'll like it). IGN, Gamespot generally reflect my outlook on a game.

16. Grahf

Grahf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    Again, same for me as well.

I trust ComputerandVideogames http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ to a certain extent, 1up to a lesser extent, but Metacritic is the bottom line for third party opinions...
    ...that, and believe it or not, forums like this one. Forum threads for major releases are usually a pretty damn reliable source for unbiased player reactions.