Faulty graphics card or drivers?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by kazzz_2004, Jun 11, 2020.

1. kazzz_2004

kazzz_2004 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 760
    Hi everyone

I got a new GPU the MSI Mech 5500XT. Popped it in and power on, installed AMD drivers from their site and while its doing its install progress screen , the screen goes black and resumes as you would expect when installing new drivers. Once it comes back to normal though it says Display Driver failed to start and that its using the Basic Display Driver instead. Device manager is showing :
    "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

I have tried using DDU and going into safe mode etc. I have also tried installing on a fresh copy on Windows 10 also and no luck.

Any ideas?
    Thanks!

2. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    If you have noticed lines, odd flickering, or scrambled stuff in the BIOS or the start-up screens for Windows, RMA it with the merchant now.
    Make sure your monitor is plugged into the ports on the 5500XT card and NOT the ports on the motherboard. This is a stumbling point for those new to PC hardware (so please don't be offended).
    If you've already cleared the CMOS, good, if not, it might be wise to reset it to defaults now. Just make sure to write down your current boot order before doing so, incase Windows gets 'lost' later on and can't seem to find itself to boot.
    First, make sure that your motherboard's EPS12V power connectors are all plugged in (up top by the CPU). Read the motherboard manual to see what plugs need to go where, and if any are optional (hint: most times they are NOT optional! If so, get a better EPS12V power supply that has all the plugs you'll need). Make sure you've also plugged in any 6-pin or 8-pin plugs on the graphics card, if it needs one.
    Try it on another computer if possible (that has the appropriate power hookups and slots), one that isn't mission critical. If the drivers install there, the card is good.
    If you have another PCI express x8 or x16 slot on your computer, try the card there. Keep in mind some cheaper motherboards cannot boot to PCI express graphics cards (like your 5500XT and many many others) if they are not in the top x16 slot, so read your motherboard manual to be entirely sure. Other boards may have a 'lookup order' from which to search for a GPU. Make sure this is set to PEG (Pci Express Graphics) or leave it on Auto if you don't have an iGPU in the processor.
    If the driver install fails on another computer, likely the card is bad, proceed with the RMA process through the merchant.
    Consider trying to update (safely) your card in question's BIOS and your motherboard BIOS (make sure if using a Ryzen 1xxx processor that you don't lose support for the processor you're using with newer BIOS forks for your motherboard), and update your chipset drivers in your system. If you've never updated BIOS before, don't mess with the BIOS on your motherboard as you COULD brick the system. Have someone experienced with PC's do it for you and don't do it from Windows. This 5500XT is an x8 PCI-express 4.0 card, it's possible an older PCI express 3.0 motherboard could get confused, and also, older systems might not always play nice with the newest video hardware (but the fact you even got to Windows, leaves me thinking this is a non-issue).
    If the card has an external power connector, try a different one if your supply has more than one, or a different power supply (this is rarely the cause, but it HAS happened).

If you cannot get it to properly work without a lot of wrangling, or at all; RMA the card as I said in the first line, to the Merchant, not the manufacturer, if possible. Get a different model card or just another one like you have, if you specifically researched and picked that card out. Bad hardware happens from time to time, most likely is a bad card that got slapped around in shipping too much.

Just thank your stars you don't have to fool with jumpers.
    None of this was attempting to sound harsh, condescending, etc. It's just generic help printed out as I don't 100% know your tech level.
    If most or all of this is intimidating, or you don't have extra slots to try the card in or extra computers, RMA / exchange the card with the merchant as soon as possible.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    386SX likes this.
  3. kazzz_2004

kazzz_2004 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 760
    Hi, sorry for the late reply.

One thing I noticed is that the BIOS start up logo (like this https://i.imgur.com/mBvL2o8.png) does not display correctly, so I turned this option off in the BIOS and it instead shows stats for the CPU like this. Is this what you mean by garbled output?

I tried setting the BIOS to PEG as it is in the PCI-E slot 1. I have tried on a clean install of Windows. Ive tried quite a few different things. No offence taken to your comments, I have some experience with PCs but I dont mind, its very kind of you.
    MB BIOS is up to date. I have even tried using a different PSU just incase and no luck.

I think at this point it will probably be an RMA. I have tried several things AMD have support have said to do too but no luck.

One question - will I lose my bundled games if I return the card?

Thanks