Fastest CPU for Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by WhiskeyBravo, Nov 26, 2009.

1. WhiskeyBravo

WhiskeyBravo New Member

GPU:
    Asus Nvidia GTX 275
    I've lost track a little with all the latest CPU offerings but I'm trying to squeeze a little more performance from my PC before I go for a major upgrade next year.

I've been looking at the Phenom chips and I inderstand that my mobo will take a AM2+ CPU, but there seem to be quite a few choices for AM2+ and I'm not sure which ones will be compatible with my mobo. The ASUS site specifies several Phenom chips but doesn't mention Phenom II chips for my mobo. So I'm a bit confused.

Ideally, I'd like a quad core for around the £100 mark. Is this realistic or am I better off just waiting till next year?

Regards,

WB.

2. gandalf21502

gandalf21502 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 260GTX 216, 700/2300
    I have been running the 940 for a couple months now...gave me a NICE upgrade for this 'ole' motherboard...:)

3. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    You could try the PII 620 or the X3 720.

4. WhiskeyBravo

WhiskeyBravo New Member

GPU:
    Asus Nvidia GTX 275
    Thanks for the replies folks.

Gandalf, is your 940 the same as this one?:

If so I can't match the manufacturers code to my mobo (or yours) so I'm guessing the codes/list of compatible CPU's may not be up to date at the ASUS website.

There's so many different models numbers etc these days it's a bit of a nightmare. I remember my very first upgrade was a choice between a Pentium 166 or a Pentium 200 both with MMX!!! Dead easy back then. :)

Regards,

WB.

5. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
  6. gandalf21502

gandalf21502 Master Guru

GPU:
    Looks to be the same CPU. AM2+ cpu's don't give the M2N32 SLI-Deluxe much of any issues. The AM3's will work, but it takes some 'work' to get them set up correctly. Update to the the 2209 BIOS and the board will see the CPU fine. I have mine o/c to 3.6 stable for almost 2 months and love it! This CPU will keep me from upgrading a good while...this board STILL ROCKS!

7. WhiskeyBravo

WhiskeyBravo New Member

GPU:
    Asus Nvidia GTX 275
    Gandalf, I see you've got an M2N32-SLI - slightly different to my M2N-SLI. I think the 32 version is abit more resilient with these processors according to my research.

WB.

8. gandalf21502

gandalf21502 Master Guru

GPU:
    I do aplogize for that, you are correct! I have heard that people are getting the 940 to run on the board, but with a tad more issues!

9. Synapzz

Synapzz Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 6950 1G
    also using a 940 with my m2n-sli deluxe, works great :)

10. Alexis444

Alexis444 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX Vega 64 8gb
    If work with AM2+ 45nm Phenoms will work with AM3 processors.
    Get the 955 instead of 940. Because in near future when you need or want to change the board you can go easily for DDR3. Also you can get the Phenom II 720 or 810. They offer impressive performance.:biggun:

11. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
  12. WhiskeyBravo

WhiskeyBravo New Member

GPU:
    Asus Nvidia GTX 275
    Hi all,

Thanks for all the info. I went ahead with a 940BE. Install was easy; cleared the CMOS, popped the new CPU in, entered the relevant BIOS info and fired it up. It worked like a charm first time.

Thanks again,

WB.

13. Alexis444

Alexis444 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX Vega 64 8gb
    Congrats!!!!!!!!!

Have a charm gaming time:banana:

14. bbvdd2

bbvdd2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 960 WHITE SLI
    For all the info you could possibly want on your mobo
    http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherboards/366989-asus-m2n-sli-m2n32-sli-club.html

And yes AM3's will run in your board but the 940 is a good chip too.

15. AceTK

AceTK Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX-560TI @ 1Ghz
    this mobo has still got it

Id just like to add that i'm currently running a 955 black edition in my M2N-Sli Deluxe. Also given that the 955 is AM3 and it works this means the new X6's will work too. On the 26th April the new Thuban 45 nm X6 chips will be released and the following flavors will be available

Phenom II X6 2.8 GHz 95 W AM3
    Phenom II X6 3.0 GHz 95 W AM3
    Phenom II X6 3.0 GHz 125 W AM3
    Phenom II X6 3.2 GHz 125 W AM3

Also this board has given me great overclocking results and i'm only limited by heat atm till i get my corsair H50 then im going to go for 4.2Ghz. But you can see the potential for this board. Imagine six cores on a 95W cpu at 4Ghz+, even with the HT on 1000Mhz / 2000MT this board will still be fine. I looked into benchmarks and the HT speed does not make much difference and infact it just makes your overclock flakey at the top end and alot of people just reduce it to 800Mhz / 1600MT to keep the stability. Plus with a final rev the TDP of 95W would make further overclocking possible

Sadly though the fun comes to an end after the last X6 as AMD have decided to end the AM3 in favour of a new MCM socket G34 later this year. This however does give way to 8 / 12 / 16 core cpu's.

Anyhoo, anyone with this mobo and wondering if to replace mobo and buy new ram and cpu etc seriously check out the other forum for help on getting a current cpu running first as you'l save a bucket load of cash and still get the reward. I mean even sticking this AM3 chip in makes the mobo 1066Mhz ram capable too so if you liked you could up the ram speed. Also if you get a black edition overclocking is easy and with the money you would have spent on a new motherboard you can buy a watercooler.

http://corleone.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=286970

:p

16. MainframeTM

MainframeTM Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX Titan 6144MB
    I used a AMD 955 x2 be in mine. After a week or so I upgraded the motherboard to a M4n82 & the difference in the performance was amazing. If your thinking of going to one of the new cpus I'd also upgrade the board. My2 cents

17. zerep42

zerep42 Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX260
    Dual-power plane question

Did you have any issues with the 'dual-power plane' requirement for the higher-end AM3 chips like the 955? I've read that many people's MBs will revert to 'safe mode' / 4x multiplier (800mhz) unless they tweak it using a Windows utility (like nVidia system tools: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_system_tools_6.05.html ) to force the multiplier to the correct value.

18. AceTK

AceTK Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX-560TI @ 1Ghz
    Nope if you check in the AMD AM2+/AM3 docs you see that all the chips will work in single power plane. The only issue is the p-state is locked and power savings are not made as things like cnq and c1e wont function on higher end chips like the black editions.

19. honkeykrakker

honkeykrakker Master Guru

GPU:
    Wow, way to keep somebody hanging on a Question lol. That was 3 Days short of a year for your Reply.

20. Raptor5150

Raptor5150 Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX460 SC EE
    Running the 940BE, no problems at all.