Fast internet, but slow to connect. Help?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Pigchild, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    I'm using Windows 7 64bit Premium. I have a solid 145Mb down speed and 12.5Mb on my up speed with my internet when checking multiple speed test sites, but when I turn on my desktop I get a 1 minute delay after full boot up before my internet connects. I'm using a Motorola Arris modem model # SB 6183 running to my Netgear AC 1900 Router. From Router direct connection into my desktop. Is there anything that anyone here might advise I try in my Windows settings to get my connection up faster after boot?

2. JUNKIE

JUNKIE Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI Hybrid
    Do you by chance have an Origin account? If you do there is a file it puts on your PC I beleive is called webhelper or something like that. Change it to manual startup and that should do it.

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Modems need some time to sync. It's normal.

But I use a router with built-in modem. That way, the PC doesn't actually connect to the ISP. It only connects to the router, and that's instant.

4. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    I do have an Origin account. It was on there from an old game I don't play anymore so I just uninstalled Origin, but no luck. As for the built in Router... I can't do that because the combo Modem and Router units are very lacking in range. That's why I use the Netgear AC 1900 with a no router modem. For a teat I did try just going direct from my Modem to my Desktop, but same slow initial wait for connection as when connected from Router to Desktop. I did go into msconfig and I have only a few basic essentials set to start at boot. Although boot - PC start up speed was never the issue. It's like my Desktop is taking forever to find the internet connection it already has after each time I start it up. Very unusual given my very fast internet speed. It must be something set wrong with my windows internet settings, but I can not figure out what.

5. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    Give yourself a static IP

insp1re2600 likes this.
  6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Do what?

That's no different than OP. PC > AC1900 > modem

7. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Read this (seen from amazon):
    • APPROVED with Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum (Charter, Time Warner, Brighthouse), Cox and more. If not sure call your cable provider to find out if approved to use. REQUIRES Cable Internet Service
    • Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink