Fast forward dreaming?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by tweakpower, Aug 4, 2012.

1. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Dreams within a dream!!!
    Wow^....That happends to me about once a year....Im older than you...Dreams are just a part of life:)...Life still goes on while you are Sleeping...:nerd: I Guess???

2. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    I had a dream within a dream. they were about the same thing
    I woke up feeling weird

3. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Yes fast forward dreams sound quite tame. I've had sleep paralysis on occasion (seems to be related to eating before sleep) as well as sleep walking when I was younger.

That's not the most interesting part though. I have found my dreams to be interconnected at times. What I mean by this is that I have dreams that are related to each other as in I continue from where I left off previously, also a lot of the things that happen in the dream seem to be a consequence of what happened in a previous dream. So in effect it's a dream world almost completely cut off from reality, it seems.

This isn't always the case when I dream but it does happen regular enough for me to remember it's happening, most of the time I do not remember exactly what happened in my dream but just that it was connected to a previous dream, yet while dreaming I remember the previous connected dream's events fully, and this particular chain of dreams is lucid.

Yet when I wake up I have once again mostly forgotten the events of the dream. Must sound freaky, but I think it's the emotional effect of the dream and it being lucid that makes me remember after waking up and most likely it's also an emotion that triggers a memory which connects it to a previous dream.

I'm sure I've said the exact same thing in a previous thread. Unless I was dreaming it :3eyes:

4. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

Lol...Me to^...this thread is going places...Dreamworld...To boldly go Where no man has gone before...:nerd:

5. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    I'm also of a similar age and have indeed experienced something similar it seems. So yes, I do agree that we may hide/forget certain things, perhaps to protect ourselves or due to some method of data prioritsation our brain uses, and these can then be triggered by events or perhaps my theory of an emotion triggering a memory can explain this too.

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    But the mirror was in your dream...then you started at the beginning again...:3eyes:

7. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    you lose only stuff considered extremely useless by the brain, eg. what you ate for dinner @ 8:00 PM ..August 5th 1992 (20 years ago).

the brain remembers "forever" only stuff he considers useful, dreams are useful, doesn't matter if its a nightmare or a nice dream, the brain has to store the dream in order to use it again in a different way.

that's why you sometimes dream the same dream many years later.

the brain however will spice up your dreams if required.

eg. you dreamt that you saw your granny feeding the ducks..

next time the brain might show you a duck feeding your granny...

if the sky was blue next time may be purple, red, green or whatever. small details are mixed with other elements.

the brain has to do this in order to bring your body into the deepest sleeping state (5 levels) this will achieve the highest relaxation state. ;)

however not everything is good.. when you sleep your brain is overworking while your body is completely relaxed, it doesn't matter how many hours you slept, you might wake up unrefreshed and more tired, there could be a headache too (strained brain).

dreaming is important for many reasons, but not dreaming is often better because it puts less load on your brain, less load on the brain which controls almost all other body functions = a better working body.

the idea is very simple, imagine your brain as a CPU..

if you don't dream you're not stressing the CPU too much (temp 45-50c), but if you dream you are pushing the cpu temp too high, the deepest state of sleep is 5, translated say to 80-85c cpu temp.

it takes more time for your cpu to cool down @ 85c than 50c, now replace cpu temp with body exhaustion, your body in order to feel refreshed after a night of heavy dreaming, will require MORE hours of sleep (even beyond the common 6-8 hours) in order to wake up refreshed.

that's why most of the time, people who don't dream can get away with 4 to 6 hours of sleep.

all this is my own interpretation of what i read and studied about sleep, dreams, also my own and my friends experiences, my interest in sleep and dreaming is because i always suffered from insomnia, through the years i thought that by understanding sleep better i would be able to find a fix for my own sleeping problem.

i haven't, but at least i learned something. :)

EDIT - holy craps that was a long post lol i very rarely do that :D well.. hope it was useful.

8. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    For me, when that happens, is usually that i dream i woke up, and then i realise i dream and wake up again, I'm not sure, that can happen even 3 times (dream in dream in dream) or more. The most disapointing part of that is when i was in army, and i woke up i was home, in my room, and everything seemed strange, then i realised that i do still dreaming (how I'm home? I shuld be in army, something is strange here, oh, I'm dreaming) and then i wake up and get very bad feeling (holly cr** I'm steel here... lol).

Hahah, it happens to me very rarely, but i have a friend who almost daily continue dream from yesterday ;).

Your interpretation is actually very good, but from what i learned (not sure if is true) you actually always dream (every time you sleep, that scientist says, or i remember it wrongly) but when you think you didn't dream anything, is actually you don't remember even that you dreamed. Also, you can't quite compare it with CPU ^^, it is true when you look it at that way, but, you have to have in mind that when you awake, your brain process much more data (enviroment, keeping your body working nicely etc.), but when you asleep, all those functions, except autonomic nerve system are put to rest (not completely off). And even dreams, stress the brain very little, or do not stress it at all, because sometimes you dream something that is completley non logical. Scientists says that dreams help brain to rest, and for example, sometimes when i sleep only 3 hours, but i have "long" dream, I'm more rested then when i sleep 6 or 7+ and dream "short" or do not even remember i dreamed. And while I sleep those 3 hours whit long dream, when i wake up, i always think i was sleeping 10 hours until short look at clock ;).

Other than that, all assumptions are in place ;).

9. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    nice :)

i think it largely depends on the person though and many other factors, what scientists said is true, but i also believe what me and other people experience, scientists give you only a general idea, but everyone's different.

for instance i always and i mean always 100% of the time wake up tired if i dream, if i don't dream, i wake up refreshed, so even though dreams theoretically helps the brain, the effect on people can be a bit random.

and you're correct that often we dream but don't remember it, it happens when you wake up from each state gradually, eg. deep sleep state 5, 4,3,2,1.

if at any time you skip a state, you are more likely to remember the dream, eg. if you're having a nightmare you might wake up screaming, what happens is this, the brain in order to save you from possible harm will wake you up real fast by skiping a few sleep states going from 5 (deepest) to 0 (awake) in an instant, no time to erase or hide the dream, as such you'll remember it.

gotta love the human body, it's truly a machine with a billion variables, cool stuff, i also wonder if my laptop dreams when it goes to sleep mode lol

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  10. The Michael

The Michael Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    All i know is that my dreams are always a mess and make no sense what so ever, no matter what speed.

11. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Yes, people are different, and that's also something that amazes me, human body (especially woman body, there is so much variables, even on internet :D) and brain are so perfect (even animal have same perfection), that really makes you think.

Lol, for laptops i don't know, but PC's def. do some sleep thing, i also wondered what they dream about, not about this one tho :).

[​IMG]

12. Tranceholic

Tranceholic Banned

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 570 Fermi
    dreams are what your conscious thinks so if you dreamed sucking on a guys dick and enjoyed it you aren't gay in real life because it was a dream.

13. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    what you're describing is a nightmare, not a dream. :D

14. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    It is only a nightmare if you didn't like it while dreaming :D

15. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Lol yes you are :)

16. Belz

Belz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5870 1GB
    lol!

To the OP:
    Just enter the BIOS and set the sleep-mode to S3 instead of S1. :nerd:

edit: don't try S4 as thats for cryotech and S5 is for the afterlife since you wont be able to reboot

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  17. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I agree with Year that brains stores dreams. I cant even count how many times i had pretty much exactly the same dream but with different outcomes etc! It is pretty amazing. I dont really pay much attention to them tho, my dreams can be so ****ed up sometimes! :)

18. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Ahaha, i don't need reboot, just shut down when is my time ;).

You should pay attention to dreams, only one mystic thing about them (can be explained trough controversial theories...) is when you dream something, and it happens in same order/situation months/weeks/years latter. Even sometimes you remember every detail, so you do something dif. on purpose just to change the outcome (ex: bad outcome, even impossible in reality, nuclear bomb etc.). It can be explained by taking dif. theory of how universe work, but that is dif. topic, anyways, sometimes is useful to pay attention to dreams :).

19. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790

yep, strangely enough a couple of months ago i had a dream that towards the end i found myself within the dream knowing what would happen, and thinking
    to myself during the dream that i had dreamt it before and even thinking like "when i wake up, i need to write this down" then idk how long later i woke up
    and realized that it was an exact step by step dream i had when i was 17.

the thing that amazes me the most, was the amount of details involved in this dream, like creating stuff and faces for tv and hell even dialogue for people
    talking in the dream, and tv, music and stuff like that. i remember waking and being blown away.