FarCry 4 Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Feb 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I can't use a controller for FPS games, K&M is much easier for me at least, I can't aim with a controller, but for driving games, controller all the way

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Well playing with a controller = no competitive gameplay. You will be massacred online.

3. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    The Far Cry IP has always held a special place in my heart but the way Ubisoft are taking it has taken steps further and further away from the kind of gaming experience I wanted from it. Far Cry 3 a game which I still enjoyed and was hardly the worst game I'd played felt like a mere shadow of what Far Cry should have been destined to become after Far Cry 1 and especially Far Cry 2. Yes FC2 was flawed but there's no denying the massive steps the game took over the first outing in terms of graphics, gameplay, locales and everything else that worked as it should have. FC3 then came along and very much shunted much of what made FC2 so great while at the same time improving much needed aspects such as enemy AI. My main gripe with FC3 aside from what happened to Vaas was just how quickly the game ran out of steam when you reached Rook Island number two.

At that point you almost felt as if the game had little left to offer and it became a rather disappointing slog right to the closing credits. This is something I especially hope that the region of Kyrat being a completely connected location won't become a game of two halves with varying amounts of quality as FC3 did. I know I still won't get the Far Cry experience I felt we all deserved after FC2 out of this still. Of that I have no reservations. I am however willing to give it a try in the same way I did FC3 that there's still enough in there to enjoy regardless of what I feel as yet another missed opportunity for the IP overall.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I get massacred offline trying to use a controller lol

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    No ones ever argued against that.

--

The thing is though, outside of personal preference, mp, rts, simulators (SC/ED/ARMA etc) and PC games mostly prior to 2008 (Stalker, crysis 1), mouse and keyboard are pretty much obsolete and can probably considered legacy devices as far as todays gaming scene is concerned. Every game is designed to be played with a controller first and foremost now. I myself dont use m/kb unless im playing Stalker or Crysis 1 or older and thats it. Theres imply no need to tether yourself to m/kb setup for 99% of games now.

Modern day games are centered around controllers, like it or not. Everything is adapted for that control method. Everything like the speed that ai move and how accurate they are and so on, driving, shooting etc have all been adapted for the controller.

Imo, consoles should be blamed for nothing more than slowing or halting the progress of game mechanics due to everything needing to be "dumbed" or slowed (in a manner of speaking) down for the controller.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Esports (the pro's) are also mainly using controllers for FPS i think. (well for cod it is :p )

7. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Yeah, the ones playing on CONSOLE... not the ones playing on pc...

8. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    As far as COD goes, i dont think that there is a PC entry anymore due to lack of pc support and ded servers.

9. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    What's "weird logic" about finding a hidden scene that's meant to be a funny gag.... funny?

10. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    not the most uber demanding on the hardware but one of the best looking games out there, by quite a margin. water is best ever, fauna /flora best ever. less cartoony that fc3.
    totally nailed it hope they make millions from it. i'll get it free with next card or buy it.
    max vram up to first mission point seen 2.85gb.

11. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Good to hear. What were your average frames?

12. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    i made it through the excellent prologue using single card, all ultra but low postfx and no aa /blur.
    dunno say around 60 - 75fps i imagine, i got it full screen HUD-less 1080 75hz.
    the save option appears after the prologue.
    all the animals have fur and do some very cool things, like gang up and chase you :D.
    once at village 7000ft up after prologue i noticed vram usage getting near 3gb.
    basically very well optimized, animal furr ain't demanding as you'd expect either and the monkeys are incredible, you see an elephant in the prologue.

13. darrensimmons

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Wow, well optimized by the sound of it. I think the sli profile from fc3 works in sli from what I've heard.

14. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    horrid stuttering and corrupt textures though.
    single 680 will see you proud till fix.

15. Hisenburg

Hisenburg Guest

GPU:
    HIS 290x
    For FPS there is no plus to a controller what so ever. And it doesn't matter per say but it shows us your level of intelligence.

16. darrensimmons

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    I have a few sli profile(bits) for fay cry 3 so Ill give them a go.

17. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    What does his intelligence level have to do with why he prefers a controller over a mouse and keyboard?

18. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Such a pompous thing to say.
    Just because he prefers a controller setup that you don't mean he is wrong or you are right.
    And it definitely doesn't say anything about his intelligence, but since you were so quick to insult him because his opinion is different from yours... it does say something about yours.

19. dave6479

dave6479 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780ti SLI
    Yeah have been trying different SLI profiles myself today on the game but like SLI-756 said it comes with some corruption and stuttering. Going into the game options and dropping the Terrain Quality to "low" does get rid of some corruption.

- 0x081902F5 (Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon DLC, Far Cry 3)
    - 0x080942F5
    - 0x081912F5
    - 0x0C1902F5

The SLI bits above are ones I had saved from Far Cry 3 and thought I'd give them ago but mostly performed the same with some extra FPS.
    The game does look great and even though I'm doing a try before I buy, this one I will be buying.

20. darrensimmons

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Ah..that's the same profiles I have. Oh well, getting 2x 980gtx on wednesday so if the 680 struggles I'll just wait a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.