FarCry 4 Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Nov 28, 2014.

1. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    I have to say i didn t like farcry 4, because simply it was farcry 3.5, end of story.it simply didnt have its own identity like 3 did.
    I prefer games who carry their own identity after time, and farcry 3 did that with style, i reinstalled last month and planning on playing it again for third playthrugh on highest diffculty

2. aggregatebuzz

aggregatebuzz Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX1080Ti FE
    I will agree to 4 being a lot like 3,both pretty good play with 4 adding the mighty eagle attacks

3. Straykatt

Straykatt Maha Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    I'm at the part where I'm meeting Raju at the Chal monastery. Every time I go through the temple and get the karma points. Raju wants me to put down the basket. Once I do and turn to follow him the game crashes?

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Disable any nvidia gameworks and/or aa, or try disable sli until you're past that point,

5. Straykatt

Straykatt Maha Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Nice! It worked, Ha! Thanks! I disabled simulated fur and turned off AA.

6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Awesome!

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Eh, still getting hangs requiring ctr-alt-del and even then i have to plug a second screen so i can actually access the task manager as the fc4 window prevents other windows from being accessed on the main desktop.

GG ubi.

8. aggregatebuzz

aggregatebuzz Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX1080Ti FE
    my has ran this smooth maxed at the 2560x1600 with no crash at 68.3% played
    gotta suspect that overclock

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  9. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I'm going to copy what I just posted on the Ubisoft forums.....

I have had a massive headache trying to play this game over the last several days. The Far Cry series is one of my favorites ever since the original game, and as such I actually bought FC4 at launch. I haven't had the opportunity to play it until this month (yeah I go through my backlog slowly). Anways, here are my system specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64bit - running all the latest updates etc.
    Intel i7 3770K OC @ 4.2ghz
    MSI Z77A-GD45
    16 GB DDR3
    ASUS NVIDIA GTX 1080 8GB Strix (Factory OC settings) - latest drivers from NVIDIA
    4k Resolution Monitor (native 4k no DSR involved)
    OS is on a SSD, the Game is on one of my multiple 7200 rpm HDDs
    Thermaltake Overseer Full Tower Case with excellent airflow. --- My temps are stellar in game too.
    CoolerMaster CM SilentPro 1000 watt PSU
    Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
    Corsair Void 7.1 Headphones
    Corsair M90 Mouse

To be clear I do not have issues with any non Uplay games on this system. The only games that are giving me grief are The Crew and FC4. :( I have another system with an i7 4790K and GTX 980m GPU (Sager laptop) and it plays both of those games without a single crash, so it seems to be specific to my GTX 1080... maybe...

I played through the Stater/Tutorial area without any problems at all. Once I finished that I have had for the most part about 15 minutes of gameplay, on average, before it freezes. I had one period of approx 2.5 hours without any freezes, but since then it's been right back to hard freezing on me every ~15 min again. I have had a variety of types of freezes, with maybe 2 exceptions they have been hard freezes and I have had to restart my PC in order to do anything. Originally the freezes could be anything from freezing on the menu to freezing while driving to freezing while in combat to freezing while on a mission to freezing while doing nothing but staring at the scenery. However the last several freezes have kicked me to a FC4 loading screen that says "Setting up Profile". According to the main menu in game I have played almost 10 hours of the campaign and I know I have had 5-6 hours lost due to it freezing etc. Needless to say I'm rather disgusted with it. When I can actually play the game it's very fun, even better then FC3 (unmodded at least). If it wasn't as enjoyable as it is I would have quit it days ago.
    At no point in the dozens of freezes has it ever crashed to desktop with any error message. I have had 3 different BSODS, 2 of which were the DPC Watchdog Violation error message. The other one was unkown error (I think, it was a few days ago).

I run at the Ultra Preset with Blur turned Off and Anti-Alisasing turned Off. I do Not have any of the "Gameworks" settings enabled. This is at 3840x2160 Resolution. I have tried lowering the settings without any improvements whatsoever.

I have uninstalled my Drivers with DDU and installed the latest updated Drivers from Nvidia.
    I have verified that all my other Drivers are up to date.
    I have disabled all non essential Startup programs.
    I have disabled any and all overlays.
    I have set FC4 to Windows 8 Compatible Mode.
    I set Uplay to Run as Administrator.
    I set FC4 to Run as Administrator.
    I have verified the game files in Uplay.
    I have uninstalled the entire game and re-downloaded it to install on a New HDD.
    I have closed all other programs aside from necessary Windows functions.
    I have deleted the Far Cry 4 folder from My Games.
    I have done other things that I can't remember at the moment.....

Any thoughts or suggestions? At this point all I can think of is to try underclocking my GPU and reverting my CPU to stock speeds. I haven't done this yet since I know from experience that I can OC both my CPU and GPU a fair bit higher if I wanted to. Right now they are running stock voltages and have been rock solid stable in everything except these 2 Ubisoft games.

I'm a former PC repair tech that still does similar things as a hobby (self torture at times), so feel free to suggest anything and everything.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  10. I have gotten BSODs when I had processor DEP (Data Execution Policy) set for all programs. You can check to make sure that DEP is only set for essential Windows programs and services only".

I would turn off cloud saves for the game, but keep a backup of your FC4 saves in my games before trying this.

You can also try using thatguy91's Visual C++ Redistributable tool (run as adminstrator) to remove and install only the latest redistributable for each version, which are backwards compatible (might fix any corrupted resdists): http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=393405.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Add just a little bit more cpuv (idk from 1.28 to 1.285v) and raise ram latency if you tweaked it.

Maybe raise vccsa too if its in offset.

12. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    • FC4 doesnt seem to like overclocking.
    • SSD is best for storage for FC4
    • Turn off all Nivida gameworks features.
    • And dont use the MSAA that is available in game.
    • Set Shadows to High instead of Ultra.

In my attempt to play the game, the only way i could get a less jarring experience in conjunction with the above (minus SSD) was to use a controller. For some reason there is no stutter (unrelated related to fps drops) when walking and looking around compared to using a mouse.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I remember playing it with 780gtx @ almost maxed with all nvidia settings, except fur and it ran great. I had it installed on HDD, but it has the same CFG issue as FC3.

While ingame go to options and reset main settings to high, apply, return to game, now go back to options and set to your old settings, this should fix any fps issues/jitter/stutter.

14. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    that's nice at least there is a game in the world that goes to your liking...

15. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Sorry to disappoint, but i was trying to be diplomatic (for lack of a better term) and address the performance issues without dragging my opinion about the gameplay into it.

BUT,... ramthegamer, SINCE YOU ASKED...
    Didnt enjoy it, found it tedious, poorly balanced, annoying wildlife mechnic, dumb ai, genric story and gameplay..another tower unlocked...
    [​IMG]

Anyone can cook a meal, but theres a reason why some people can open five star restaurants while others are at home drinking and deep frying their toast. Even the lazy can avoid dying of hunger. Ubisoft are simply lazy drinking deep frying f r u a d s.

AAA gaming products = Admissible, Afterthoughts, yet.. Accepted. (there are times when things you think of sound waaaay better in your head than they do when said out loud or in this case, typed out. I do believe this is one of those times). Have fun with your generic AI that hasnt changed since 2004 and gameplay mechanics that are the same since the release of the PS360.

Happy? Is that what you were after?

16. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    hahayeah that's what i wanted, dont you find that you are the only person in the world that is complaining like this, all the gurus here buy the latest games, and play no one says this except u, coz u have the perfect breakthrough idea of making a new type of AI or whatever...

17. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Enjoyed FarCry 4.
    It was, for the most part, too similar to 3... but the small refinements they made to the game were nice additions.
    While I haven't played it in some time, the last time I did it ran really well. At launch, well... that was another story. But, the various patches they released improved it.
    But, that seems hit and miss.
    The updates fixed the game for a lot, but caused issues for others.

For me, FC: Primal has been the best entry in the series in a long time. Hope they continue to take the series into different locations/themes like that in the future.

18. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    So im unique in expecting more than the bare minimum for my money?

19. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti
    the co op on this just does not work anymore. Tried everything over 2 weeks and always a crash on joining.

Ubi said its because of Win10

20. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    i like farcry 4 for what it offered in atmosphere, it's own identity but found it gameplay wise too close to 3 yes, havent played fc primal but i guess i could pick this up soon, and i don't think this game runs nicely, i remember on my i5 and 750 ti i could barely hit 60 fps and it was a stuttery mess under 60, so definitely the game is unoptimized.