Farcry 3! - part 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Jan 13, 2013.

1. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    A targeted damage system like Dead Island. Anyone remember the Soldier of Fortune games? Ubi went arcade style on this game. I still find it fun to stealth kill but it barely requires any skill from the user (aside from a little sneaking).

2. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    I played Soldier of Fortune 2, man that was heap of fun. But I don't see how that or Dead Island's damage system relates to my post, which was talking about animation fluidity of player controlled actions stringed together.

3. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    Yes...I surely did. That's why I posted because I really thought the devs were seriously upping the ante for player controls and wondered how it would be accomplished. FC3 is the first game I've played with so much automation built in to reduce demands on the player controlling the action. I've played other games that have been dumbed down but I knew that going in. As I've said many times in other posts, after playing FC2 I honestly expected FC3 to be along the same lines but even better in terms of user controls and immersion.

I don't mean to repeat myself but FC2 has a genuine feel to it when controlling your character that FC3 doesn't. It pulls you into the game and makes you forget everything else. Sure, in FC3 you can go wherever you want when doing recon on an outpost, choose your attack, which weapon to use, aim it, fire it, etc. But the feel of the game, especially with all the screen prompts and cutscenes built in just serves as a constant reminder that you are playing a game...right at the time when that's the last thing you want to feel.

4. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    I played FC3 once. About half way through I got sick of dealing with all the collecting of junk that does nothing for you...nothing. At that point, all the weapons I actually needed were free, I had money coming out the kazoo with no place to store it, I had to ignore all the loot boxes, half the game map was devoid of enemies, each of the storyline missions were essentially a pre-determined movie where the demand on the player is not to use strategic thinking and skillful game control but simply to press buttons correctly when prompted.

Yes, the islands were beautifully rendered scenic vistas and the map is huge. If the FC3 map was used in FC2, one could get lost in time playing it.

I thought about this and wondered why the game was not set up in a similar manner. Instead of one group of pirates, they could have had two or three factions who were battling each other. They could periodically attack each other's outposts or you as the player could take one out, freeing it up, and if not visited regularly enough it would eventually be commandeered by one of the factions. Or you could lure members of one faction close enough to an enemy outpost that a battle would ensue and you could take advantage of the diversion to accomplish some task inside the outpost.

Instead of having all the weapons become free, you would have to earn enough money to buy them. And if you lost a weapon you would have to purchase another (ammo could be resupplied from caches just like FC2). The controls would be there but not automated. The player would actually have to DO THE WORK! There are lots of other things I could list but you get my point.

I guess people are getting too impatient with gaming or simply don't enjoy having any demands put on them to play a game. FC2 was moving away from arcade style play...FC3 jumped right in to the deep end of the arcade pool. I still don't get the "best Far Cry ever" comments except maybe for the pretty graphics.

5. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Best FarCry for me because, while I liked the first...I hated the trigens.

The 2nd FarCry for me, well it sucked so bad I just could not even play it...stupid respawning, collecting diamonds...flipping malaryia.

FarCry 3 for me is the best....if you like FarCry 2 the best...then that is your opinion....but I could not even play the game, no matter how many times I tried.

6. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    I liked the first FC with the exception of a couple points along the storyline where you must do some dorky things to move things along. For example, there's one point where you must push an office chair from another room into an area that has a door that will close and lock behind you if you don't prepare for it...cutting you off from getting a resupply of much needed ammo.

As far as FC2 & 3 are concerned...I guess some of us like playing a game while others would rather watch a game play itself. That's not my opinion...that's my experience of the two. I cannot even imagine what it is about the things you pointed out about FC2 being such a show-stopper. Respawning?...don't backtrack. Diamonds?...there are 212 diamond cases to be found (roughly half in each of the two maps) and you actually have to look for them. Compare this to the thousands of loot boxes in FC3 that are all laid right out for you to just walk by and pick up giving you 10X more money than you will ever use. Malaria?...what's wrong with an element of risk such as having an attack unexpectedly in the middle of a fight?

I'm not arguing with you here...just describing how things look from my end of the telescope. Clearly not all players are looking for the same experience. I liked the realism in FC2...the realism of how you interact with the world created in the game (which also happens to be more believable than either FC1 or FC3 since there is no science fiction, bizarre magic potions, or the ability to see enemies through buildings, trees, hills, etc.). X-ray vision! I'm supposed to be a guerilla fighter...not Superman.

Even the enemy in FC2 is more realistic in their portrayal of mercenairies. Lots of different guys doing all sorts of things (trying to get a good cell phone signal, swatting mosquitos, exercising, taking a leak, picking their nose, smoking, sharing a beer with a comrade, talking on the phone, drinking from a canteen that's almost empty, chatting with a comrade, taking a nap, reloading ammo, walking around at random instead of a repetitive path...the list goes on and on).

Anyway...to each his own I suppose.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  7. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Yea, to each their own...I for one don't care about it being realistic...it is just a game for me.

I like FarCry 3 & you like FarCry 2

8. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    Sounds like a plan. But for the record, I enjoyed our exchange and you make a good point...some folks are just looking for a game to play and not put more into it than that. I have games that do that for me as well (ever play "Evolva" or "Tron 2.0"?). I think if I had never played FC2 my experience with FC3 would have been more positive. Funny how we build our own perspectives.

9. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    I told myself years ago that I would play Tron, but I never did.

10. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    Well if you can get a copy I highly recommend it. There's also a third party mod that significantly improves and updates the game including wide screen support without distortion. It will work on all versions of Windows including Win8. It's called the Tron 2.0 Killer App Mod. The website has everything you need to download.

The game has the look and feel of the original TRON movie and is very accurate in that respect. It's an FPS with throwing disks and a few other weapons not in the movie but fit well in the game.

The story is good and stars two of the actors who were in the movie (Bruce Boxleitner and Cindy Morgan). You play the part of Alan's son.

11. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    No game has ever done anything similar like that to me. No matter how exciting a game gets, I can't even imagine how one could forget that they are playing a game.

I mean taking multiple bullet hits has to be pretty jarring mechanic to maintain any semblance of immersion through. Not to mention monitor borders, your peripheral vision of your room, your hands holding a mouse, the comfy chair, etc.

How do you ignore all that???

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  12. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    By using an active imagination :D

13. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    I need to reserve those for... other extra curricular activities :wanker:

14. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    That's a very interesting question and with you asking it, makes me wonder if I've been assuming that everyone experiences gameplay similarly to myself. I have always had the experience of literally forgetting everything around me (even myself) as I play a good game. The same thing happens when I watch a good movie.

I can remember countless times when I was still living at home with my sisters where I would be watching a movie on TV by myself...then when a commercial came on and I snapped out of my immersion, I was surprised to see one of my sisters sitting in the room with me. I never saw her come in! And sometimes it would be the case where to get to the chair she was sitting in meant walking in front of the TV screen...and I still didn't see her.

When I play a very good game, I don't see anything but the game. My attention is 100% "in" the game. I don't "do" this consciously...it just happens spontaneously. Perhaps that's got a lot to do with why FC2 attracts me over FC3. As soon as those screen prompts appear, it breaks the spell.

This is an interesting point to bring up about the experience people have playing games. Another thing I should point out is that as a child and teenager, I was seriously into hobbies such as building model cars, rockets, and aircraft. I used to build balsa wood and silk flying model airplanes, some of which would take 2 or 3 months to complete. For years I built Estes model rockets (the old style that required you to make all the parts from scratch). I stopped when Estes started selling the kits with plastic parts that simply snapped together. What's the fun in that?

When I did hobbies or now when I play games, my experience was always similar. It's like I was meditating...I became one with whatever I was doing. I would sit down and start and the next thing I knew 3 or 4 hours would have passed. Maybe this is the basis for what I want out of gaming.

15. ibitato

ibitato Guest

when I play a game, that TO MYSELF is good, I even loose the sense of time and space
    I can really transport myself into some other state where all that matters is that I am really into having fun and enjoying the ride.

It's really easy to separate good games from bad ones, but the line in between good, really good and excellent is completely up to the gamers perspective.

As an example, I played Zombie Shooter for 4 hours without noticing and I was completely out of this world, while I was unable to play Fallout 3 for more than 2 hours in a row.

Even sometimes, I go to bed and dream / think about what I am going to do next on Divine Divinity or re-thinking my team tactics and the magic I should memorize on the Baldurs Gate II run I have opened, until I fall sleep.

Any, ANY game that takes me into that type of thinking and behaviour , for me is GOOD, regardless of graphics, game mechanics or anything else.

The less time you have to play, the older you grow, this need of inmersion and forget-the-world-exists objective, is what it moves me to play a game for more than 1 hour, not graphics, not mechanics, not franchises, etc

I am more of a SP gamer, while I do have a buch of MP games as well, but they lack of depth to me and only play them for a adrenaline rush

16. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    anyone heard rumors about the next patch? ubi seems to be silent about the future of this game regarding everything. dlc, next patch....

17. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    Ubisoft's support for their games sucks... I doubt we'll see another patch. "Take the money and run" style...

18. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    Good...so I'm not the Lone Ranger after all. LOL

I'm also an SP gamer. I have never played multi-player or online...it has never appealed to me and I think this is the main reason why.

19. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    \/\/\/\/\/\/\/

+1 You both are not alone on the SP gaming. I feel pretty much the same. :D

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    http://www.gamershell.com/news_148205.html

EDIT: Can be redeemed via Uplay as well, no cost.
    http://static3.cdn.ubi.com/far_cry_3/FarCry3_mp_dlc.exe

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013