Far Cry Primal Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Oct 2, 2015.

1. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    I have been trying for two days to get this game from Asus, supposed to come free with the card, really looking forward to trying it from what i have seen plus i missed FC4 totally so i am going into this totally new.

2. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti
  3. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Yeah that video is laughable bad, it's like saying these two are the same:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just because they show a bridge, a river and a building.

4. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    From where is that second pic ?

5. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Well Paris is in the URL so i'm gonna have to guess London.

(but it's the louvre)

6. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I understand what you're saying as well. But keep in mind the points you make against FC2 are all things that were either bugs or simply features that could be changed in a next release. I have been discussing the pros and cons of the Far Cry series for several years now. I have played the FC2 campaign at least 40 to 50 times easily. I know the game like the back of my hand and I can tell you a lot of people are missing out on the game because they gave up on it too soon. I played FC3 once and FC4 for about an hour. I literally hate what has been done to the franchise.

The main criticisms of FC2 are:

Re-spawning checkpoints
    Lack of wildlife and people (sparse environment)
    Too much driving
    Weapons wearing out
    Taking malaria pills
    Simple mission objectives
    In game characters are shallow

Here's what I don't like about the subsequent releases....

1. Automated controls and screen prompts telling you what key to push and when
    2. Pre-recorded "take downs" that automate close combat and are unlocked in a menu system to simulate experience and skill (except that you don't have to learn any skills to achieve them...just progress through the game...in fact I doubt if you can learn any skills even if you wanted to).
    3. Way too much cash littering the entire map which removes any need to apply effort at procuring better weapons (weapons are quickly available for free just by climbing the towers).
    4. Side show contests (games of skill?) found all over the map
    5. Over the top hunting missions (such as hunting wild dogs with a flame thrower...who would do that?)
    6. Excessive crafting that becomes pointless and tedious rather quickly
    7. Day/night cycle is too short (including weather cycles)
    8. X-ray vision (see through buildings, mountains, trees, etc.) where is the realism in that?
    9. Juvenile enemies that just come across as a bunch of morons
    10. Way too much animal presence to the point it becomes annoying and distracting.
    11. Reliance on hobby collecting and crafting that would never really exist in real life. Just busy work with no reward or point to it all.
    12. Viewing map takes you out of the game
    13. Mushroom drug trips, voodoo magic dreams, fighting the bosses in some sort of dream event? Fighting supernatural demons...where is the realism in this game?
    14. Vehicle controls are loose and sloppy making it nearly impossible to ever develop a "feel" for driving.
    15. Snipers have laser sights that give away their locations immediately upon entering the combat area. You can even see them as you approach (day or night)
    16. Friendly combatants do nothing
    17. There's much more. Too much to list.

Yes, FC3 and beyond are everything FC2 isn't. Everything is overkill and the game is so saturated with unrelated activities and distractions making immersion difficult to maintain, never mind keeping a focus on the mission at hand. Of course all this is offset by the mainstream gamer's continuing love affair with graphics. How many people here have noticed how much graphics is the focus of judging games anymore. It's great to have realistic graphics but the game has to create a sense of realism for those graphics to have any meaning to the player. If all you care about is great graphics, go watch a Blu-ray movie in HD.

The company is clearly taking measures to cut corners in development. The first example of this is the "take downs". It's much easier (and cheaper) to program recordings of close combat and then play them by pressing a key than it is to program a game so the player can actually engage in simulated close combat. Another example is the realization that Primal has the same map as FC4. I'm willing to bet there are other examples not so salient.

I've been gaming for over 30 years and take it seriously. It's difficult to find a good simulation type game with an open world and a long campaign. FC2 was definitely moving in that direction. But most people want easy instant gratification so they can shoot anything that moves and not really be challenged at all. Who wants to work for anything or actually have to develop skills? And then there's the usual statement that it's meant to be fun. So Far Cry is now more like a circus than a tactical FPS simulation.

7. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    I know what you mean about farcry 2 that it left everything for the player, no predone take down animations etc...I agree, but things turned out differently for people who found that iteration mixed feelings. I enjoyed farcry 2 back then, but I was sometimes dragging myself to finish the long rides I had to do to cross and go to next objective, I was running and then walking, jumping in the water, swimming, not even bothering to find a car to go to next objective, I was doing shortcuts and even shortcuts were so long that I found it tedious many times, even though I finished the game back in 2008.
    I like your detailed presentation of what u liked and hated about the next iterations, I was gonna say about what u said concerning fighting voodoo stuff, well as u know that the main protagonist was drugged, and they made it that you fight this ink monster etc... he was drugged, same as fighting vaas at the end.

8. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    That video of IGN's is just... pathetic.

9. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Thanks for that. I know I go off on this franchise a lot and for those who get tired of it I apologize. It's just that Far Cry represents the epitome of everything that's going sideways in games these days.

Once in a while someone will write and point out that it's all subjective. Yes it is. But I have been around since the beginning of computer gaming and I can tell all of you there was a time when there were so many different types of games out there that anybody's subjectivity could be satisfied. But now that the games being produced have been narrowed down significantly and some made into franchise series (like Assassin's Creed, COD, Battlefield, Far Cry, etc.) it's become very difficult to find AAA title games that offer the kind of gaming experience many of us enjoyed or would like to enjoy today. It's like the choices are being taken away and we're being told by others (or telling ourselves) we must learn to like this very ironic turn of events.

Younger people aren't aware of this...because they weren't born yet. They go off and get all jacked up about games that look wonderful but are really shallow in terms of the experience that is possible. And the sad part of this is they are the marketing factor that drives what types of games are developed.

10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Sorry, but my biggest complaint with FarCry 2 can't be fixed with a patch. It can't be addressed and improved through a simple update.

The story and voice acting.
    The story itself is rather basic and forgettable, but... it could've been much more engaging... if it hadn't been for what is truly simply awful voice acting.
    Each character, each actor... reads his lines off as if he's speed reading them. Rushing through them as fast as possible with no character, no emotion... and nothing engaging to draw you into the story and or conflict.

This instantly put me off the game the minute I started it.

11. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    It's pretty much what I thought it would be. I mean, you're only going to have so many things to do in 10k BC.

Is there any way to lessen the damn fog effect? It's all you see in the not too far distance. I want some vivid colors, not washed out fog.

Any decent mods yet? I have it set to ultra, and my rig isn't even close to breaking a sweat.

12. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Well, you just pointed how two people can have very different values driving their judgments. My bar is set much lower on the actors and the story. I just wanted to get through it and get back out in the bush where the real story (mine) is being written. But I don't mean to diminish the importance of it for you or anyone else.

Something similar to your experience that I had with FC3 was being tasked to go out and hunt wild dogs with a flame thrower! I mean come on...who came up with that idea?

I played FC2 so many times I lost actual count but I know it's been at least 40 times. I really know the game inside and out. It's gotten to the point where I challenge myself by trying a different weapons combination through the entire game...or trying different approaches to attacking checkpoints just for the challenge.

I know a lot of people don't like all the driving but I made driving a game in itself. Unlike FC3 and above, in FC2 the enemy will chase you if they can't shoot you. They will ram you or come up alongside and try to push you off the road or even do a pit maneuver. So I would bait them into chasing me and then go off road and use the terrain to wear their vehicles down before mine. This required me to drive better then them. It's not easy. You can't do this in FC3 and above because the drivers are too simplified.

The company could have improved the game and not jettisoned all the realism they achieved with FC2. Anyone who says FC3 and above are realistic is hallucinating. There may be parts of the game where it's somewhat realistic but the overall experience is like a carnival. It's like they decided to embed as much side show type activity as possible and call that a game. It's more like a suite of activities to keep you busy (aside from the story and missions). I really don't get the appeal of that at all.

I watched the review video of Primal posted earlier in this thread and the author tells it like it is. Just about everything he states are the same issues I have with FC3 and FC4. It makes me wonder if something got into the water of the general population and everyone has gone daft or something.

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I have no issues with people who like FarCry 2. You like it, great.. honestly, I love it when gamers find a game they can enjoy.

But for me, it didn't matter how great the graphics were. How solid the gunplay was. The minute the reason behind the gunplay, the reason behind me being there... was put down in front of me in such a poorly executed manor... I was all but kicked out of the game world.
    And, I didn't mind the driving. What I minded was the tedium involved with the driving... because every single time you got in a vehicle to go do a mission... you were going to experience the same thing.
    Drive out of town, hit checkpoint (most likely two or three)... kill enemies. Get chased by enemy vehicle. Fix your vehicle/steal enemy vehicle. Get to mission location... blow up stuff, watch pretty fire... kill target. Drive back to town... rinse, repeat.

The game just didn't have enough "content" to warrant the open world setting... and in turn, for me personally, became boring.
    I liked the map system. Liked the health system. Liked the idea of the weapons jamming (even if it did happen WAY too quickly)... but it was the execution.

I've never finished the game. I get so bored that I find myself trying to force myself to play it... and, I'm not enjoying it.

For those that like it, awesome. For me, it's not my thing.

14. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    2070 subpar RTX OFF
    Something like that. People just want to feel like total bad-asses without having to put any effort into it. It's understandable but disheartening for those who would like modern gaming to be a slightly more cerebral, skill based hobby.

15. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I like your perspective as it shows how important aspects of a game can be that are not general to all. So for you, the voice acting and mission scenes destroy your suspension of disbelief (aka, immersion). It's interesting as what you describe as boring rinsing and repeat missions is where I see the core of the game.

For me the missions were simply an end to a means. It was everything I had to do in between that I enjoy. It's not overly complicated meaning there isn't so much going on you lose sight of yourself. And I really enjoy the feeling of being totally on my own with no help. I never counted the rescue buddy as help. It looks neat but it's really just a restart near wherever you got critically wounded.

So to say all this simple like. FC3 and above have so much going on in them it makes it impossible for me to become immersed in the game. And when I examined the game content in detail (all the activities and side-missions) and found how they are totally unrelated to the story, your character, or the missions I just got angry that the same studio that had provided such an immersive concept could turn it all backwards with subsequent releases.

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    While I enjoy FC3 and 4... they both have problems. Problems related to story, and certain gameplay elements that definitely need work.

I don't believe there's anything wrong with the open world formula at work in the FarCry series. As I've said before, it's all in how it's used... how this formula is presented to the player.
    This is something I personally believe Primal has done better then either 3 or 4.
    In many ways it is a much simpler game. No weapons, no vehicles, and certain gameplay elements have been simplified and or removed in favor of the prehistoric setting.
    But this works.
    It leaves you with a game that is fully aware of what it is.
    And, due to the lack or guns, you are far more vulnerable. Making the animals feel like an actual threat. Making them feel just as dangerous as the human enemies... a full part of the game worlds dynamic.
    It's very easy to get overrun by a small pack of wolves, or a single larger animal. Where as in 3 or 4, an assault rifle or supped up shotgun made short work of such interactions. Making them a distraction, but not a fully realized part of the game.

In Primal... it's a necessity. You have to hunt, for supplies, weapons, crafting supplies for health, your tribe... everything. It's just as important as the story.
    And, it works because the story is so simple. You are simply trying to restore your tribe to power. Fighting off rival tribes.
    There's no deep meaning. It's survival. And, it's this simple nature that makes the crafting essential, makes hunting essential... makes animals just as much a major player, or enemy as the humans. It works.
    And it's made Primal one of my favorite FarCry titles.

FC3 shined for me as it realized it's open world setting. Giving you a reason to explore, items to find, side activities to do... and while flawed, hunting. And it made the world feel more alive.
    Add in Vaas' brilliant writing and performance...
    4 expanded on this some.... but not enough to really make it stand apart from 3.

Also, 3, Jason has a fully functioning cell phone. And never once tries to use it to get outside help. :bang:
    And in 4... Ajay... could have simply left. He wasn't kidnapped. He willingly came to this country. And could have just as easily left. There was nothing holding him there.

17. Anth Seebel

Anth Seebel Master Guru

GPU:
    TITAN Xp
    Unfortunately Primal tries to do things that dont interest me (taming animals, focus on melee combat and stealth). The story progression would have to be amazing to entice me. Also, the map structure is too close to FC4 (which Ive played alot), Im certain the map would be too familiar even tho the colours are different. It seems like an expansion game not a title on it's own like FC3. I will prolly grab it when it's about $5.

Ive been replaying FC3 today with some nice reshade settings, and wow, I can really notice how much better FC3 is than FC4. FC3 map is also nothing like FC4 which I do appreciate. The variety in gameplay and story is so well done, to the point where it is rare thing to see in a game.

18. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    yes actually now u reminded me of something of the positives that I liked in farcry 2, the enemy will chase u down no matter what, I agree, it's more challenging AI, but my main gripe on it is that there are aswell many negatives in that game that I just cant forgive and not to say it..no body is saying that farcry 2 Is a bad game, it s a very solid game, and one of the rare games that offer this kind of freedom of approach with minimal hud and map in hand etc, giving that kind of realism to the player, really very rare games give u that.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  19. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    agree totally about the story elements.

20. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    One thing they definitely should get credit for is supporting the DS4 fully, no software needed and displays DS4 icons, so many other devs completely ignore the DS4 and only support Xbox controllers especially with icons. Not sure if Ubi do the same in all their games?