Far Cry PC vs XBOX360 vid

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Snowski, Feb 14, 2006.

1. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    This is the most retarded comparison ive ever seen. You CANT compare crytek 2 engine to the original farcry PC. 360 is runnin a form of crytek 2 engine. Its stupid to even compare them and say "this is better than that" We've already seen crytek 2 running on PC and its far superior.

2. Snowski

Snowski Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800GT 660/1650/1900
    Well I hope to see eye candy like that with future PC game engines, thats why I upgraded from a 6600GT

Dont have the money to upgrade every 3 months ;)

Im playing thru Joint Ops again with my m8, its an old game but man it still looks good. I can just stop and watch the scenery. Specialy now with transparancy interference turned on (all a bit smoother then before)

Well just wanted to share the info lads, keep it friendly n enjoy the gaming ;)

3. Marley

Marley Don José Cuervo

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 275 GTS
    Well first I would say it looks great but I will also say this you cannot compare a game that came out 2 yrs ago on the PC to a recent release. Crytech as made many changes to the engine since then, so it is not exactly apples to apples.

4. otaku

otaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800,640gts sli
    it looks ok but i still have to say i think it looks better on my pc and how old is farcry for the pc? the only thing that looks nicer on there is the wave shapes but it looks like poor texture just my opinion

5. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 MaxQ 8GB
    the Xbox360 ver. looks truly awesome ... but its not just to compare that one to the PC .... its more like comparing a MX4000 with a 6600GT ... lol ...

6. Xaser04

Xaser04 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super

Why do people think the Xenos(R500) GPU from the 360 is just a X1900XT?!

It is totally different. The Xenos physically has 48 Unified shader pipelines. The X1900XT has 16 pixel pipelines and 8 vertex units.

The architecture is nothing alike.

Whether a pc could render those shaders is a different question. Hardware wise it has the power but the way they are coded it couldn't do it as the 360 doesn't follow a shader model in the same a pc(graphics card) does.

7. Lethal Abz

Lethal Abz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    ive played on the xbox360 and it looks as good as any latest gpu. im sure the ps3 will kick its box tho hehehehe

8. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V
    Dont count on it at launch though, as the xbox has much better developer kits than the ps3, and the ps3 is also much harder to program for because of the technology it uses. They are basically the same, and will be for the first year or two; xbox 360 has much stronger developer support so the games will make better use of the hardware whereas ps3 is a more powerful consol on paper but doesnt actually mean squat til developers figuer out how to use the goods ( cell processors are mad hard to fully ultilize in any app, let along gaming ). Lastly, take into account developers being lazy for either consol, as no xbox 360 game even uses much of its potential. It will be just like the xbox 1, it launched with halo 1, and by the end of its cycle the graphics went to halo 2 and far cry insticts, all on the same hardware. Its just a matter of how much is learned and used.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  9. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    people far cry for pc use a difference engine. its like unreal engine 1 from unreal engine 2. far cry use crytek engine 1 as someone said and xbox 360 verison use crytek 2 engine so that why the xbox 360 verison look better DUH!. its like putting half life 1 engine with Half life 2 engine.

10. cyenz

cyenz Member Guru

GPU:
    7970M
    nop.its not crytec 2 engine, its the original but heavely modiefied engine

11. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    I think that they can compare the two..... They did. Well sort of..... They weren't comparing it like everyone thinks they were. They were comparing how much it was improved over the older one. Like you would with an old corvette to a new one. It wasn't a competative comparison but a maketing comparison. No one would buy it again if they didn't make the necessary graphical improvments. The gameplay changes (be it good or bad) can't really be shown they have to be experienced and the best explanations usually falls on deaf ears. So they depend on the comparison of graphical changes to draw in the crowds and get them to at least try the game.

Why anyone would get offended by the comparison is beyond me. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  12. kahulbane

kahulbane New Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800 GS 256
    One other fact that you have to remember about the PS3 and the XBOX 360 is the CPU: in both of these is seated an IBM PowerPC tri-core at 3.2 GHz. IBM has a 5 core going and breaking records.

But when you look at the whole picture here, the ATI custom GPU and the tri-core cpu, and the game being 2 yrs new and a new version all together, you will need a high end system with at least a dual core cpu and or 64bit, and 7800gtx, or the new 7900 and or ATI equate.

But it can be done if the game were released to pc.... But tri-core CPU is going to be hard to beat, let alone an IBM PowerPC tri-core.
    :frown:

13. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V
    Well since hl1 and hl2 engine both have extensive quake 1 and 2 code inside it, you could base them both together. All hl2 did was add shading and physics to old quake code, which is why it actually looks so flat and the lighting so crappy. It uses the same dynamic lighting thats been used by quake 1,2, just backed by today's dx9 to make it look a bit better. An example of how crappy shadowing in hl2, is how the shadows that are under people go through walls and doors, because the old code lacks the ability to render believable lighting/shadowing.

I cant comment on the far cry issue, but my guess is the 2 engines are the same or very similar, with just little diffferences here and there to make it look better. After all, if hl2 can use quake 1 code from 1996 and look that good, I think anything is possible then.

14. shrapnel22

shrapnel22 Master Guru

GPU:
    Chaintech 6800GT @ 400/1100
    If developers made a game just for high end PCs, then yes, we would be able to see that. As it stands, there isn't much money to be made in games just for high end pcs, so they have to scale everything back. SLI'd 7800GTX 512, or XFire 1900XTX's could do that no problem, probably even in single card configs.

And like it's been said before, 2004 version vs 2006 version on different engine = unfair comparison.

15. omga14

omga14 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 745/915 for now
    please do not confuse Unified Shader with Pixel pipelines. as explained here in the xbitlabs review the architecture is the same: VIEW

i've read alot of things people are saying here and would like to have sources of information cause alot of it seems purely speculative.

16. Shaider

Shaider Active Member

GPU:
    Palit Geforce 6600GT 128MB

Good , good point. :)

17. Xaser04

Xaser04 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super

Er I am not confusing anything. What I have written is the exact specifications of both the 360 GPU and the X1900XT to show they are not the same.

That Xbit review shows the architecture of the x1800xt and the x1900xt. I know they are the same. The Xenos (R500) however is totally different.

18. BlueDragonXP

BlueDragonXP Guest

my friend got a xbox360 and he plays it at 1080i.... owned.... :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

anyway it looks amazing, way better then Far Cry for PC.

19. freeman28

freeman28 Member Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX 670
    thats right.
    i dont think is that nice to.

20. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Its a little bit more technical than that my friend.........

A believe you've read a comment on the net, that there's still some base code lurking around in the source engine somewhere and deciphered that to mean that the source engine EXTENSIVELY uses the quake code somehow......

All the new engines developed will use small insignificant parts of other engines as there is no need to write them from scratch. I think there will most probably be snippets of the original Unreal engine in Epics latest offering......