Far Cry 6 to feature DirectX RayTracing, FidelityFX CAS and Variable Rate Shading

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Caesar and Maddness like this.
  2. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    How about IC, RTP and FG? Interesting characters, rapidly thickening plots and fun gameplay wouldn't hurt either.

:rolleyes:

KissSh0t, HandR, toyo and 2 others like this.
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Good, they implemented CCCP. When using VSR, CAS is likely good idea. Well, CAS is good idea in almost any scenario.

4. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    Oleksandr is exactly what I expect a 3d programmer to look like!

Hold on, he wasn't ray traced was he ... ?

I thought Far Cry 5 was a good looking open world which made you think you were there, the game play had a few issues though, too many cut scenes etc etc. Still, looking forward to this new one.

5. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    That's impossible for Ubisoft, when it's in rehash mode.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    On point: here is how the Dunia2 game engine handled the environment for Far Cry 5 (GDC 2018):

and here is a very similar talk for Far Cry 4 (GDC 2015):

It's interesting to see how they stiched these worlds together in the Dunia/2 game engine, and how these newer techniques in DX12U have made the older methods better in some ways, and yet worse in others, because of the necessity to basically change their entire shader pipelines to accommodate things like VRS.

Kinda a shame the gameplay loop of Far Cry games is kinda boring, yet the worlds are so well drawn...

Here's hoping for more of a change, but, will probably get more interest in the design and methodology talks at GDC next year, than the actual game itself

7. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I wouldn't hold your breath, if I were you. It seems that it's going to be more or less the same as the previous games - a big and nice world to wander through, but shallow gameplay, and average shooting at brain-dead enemies. Also, there's going to be a resistance against some charismatic bad guy, and an obligatory "burn the drug field" mission.

Maddness, mentor07825 and gmavignier like this.
  8. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Yeah I'll def wait for video reviews. FC5 wasn't so bad at first but fell apart after 20hours. It's like fastfood basically.

Love jungles though.

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Yeah, you're probably right. Formulaic gameplay in the Far Cry series is very very old now, and pre-dates Crysis!

Now, I might not like the formula, but I can at least appreciate them from a technical standpoint, as their games at the very least run at high frame rates and have very nice environments

mentor07825 and emperorsfist like this.
  10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    @Loobyluggs :

Pseudorandomly generated. (If you like "proceduraly".)
    That's how to fit largest ever C64's world into 42kB available ram.

Something all gaming engines should have available for decades.

Loobyluggs likes this.

11. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    @DocStr4ngelove @Loobyluggs FC3 felt fresh and original, since they streamlined a lot from FC2 (which I still like, albeit it's better with the Redux mod), but since then the main titles stagnated in typical Ubisoft fashion - each new game is ridiculously similar down to individual story beats. The side games like Blood Dragon and Primal broke the mould a bit, but the last main title felt ridiculously vapid and stale - which was funny since Assassin's Creed Origins was a complete overhaul from the previous title.

gmavignier and DocStr4ngelove like this.
  12. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    So true. The whole FC team needs to be replaced esp the senior designer. All these drug-infested visions (mushrooms etc) need to go. This brand could become a 1st person version of Uncharted which we dont have any competitors for on PC.

There's so much potential if they'd get rid of the crazy & supernatural stuff.

13. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I agree. Again, the drug / tribal stuff made sense in FC3, and it was the first time we got to see it. Since then it feels like a checklist that needs ticking. Crazy, charismatic villain? Check. Crazy kooky drug trip? Check. Semi-supernatural themes, which don¨t really do anything since it's mostly drugs? Check. Helping some resistance / guerrilla against said villain? Check. A plethora of weapons that mostly kill at the same speed (since everything has CoD levels of health)? Check. Crafting from skins and plants? Check. Boredom? Check!

14. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    They stopped making you climbing towers since it's became its own meme :rolleyes:. So that's a start.

Picolete, schmidtbag and emperorsfist like this.
  15. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Yeah, and then they sold the towers to Nintendo to put them in Breath of the Wild. :rolleyes:

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Ubisoft put them in the Far Cry 5 DLC to remind players they hadn't forgotten about them.

Don't forget to pre-order for the crazy disc launcher and killer Chorizo. Hah of course there would already be various incentives and bonuses for that.

[​IMG]

From diabetic bears in Far Cry 5 to weaponized disabled puppies in this one.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  17. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I get that it's supposed to be crazy by design, but it feels just tacky and sad...

18. DocStr4ngelove

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Reminds me of the test i failed during my studies. Decided to copy the solution from the guy next to me since he looked kinda confident but we both failed so hard even the professor made a joke about it :D

Be sure who you steal from.

Picolete and emperorsfist like this.
  19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Crippled puppy with bomb attached to cart? It is not what I want in games.

Maddness and Denial like this.
  20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    It's certainly an interesting point: 'At what point does a linear FPS game become an open world game?'.

Now, there is more than enough in Half Life to extend gameplay, by just adding another corridor to run down with a turret - but the question is whether what you are doing is just 'busy work' to extend the gameplay time, or, is actually an important part of the level design or game design.

I would argue that some of the elements in Half Life were unnecessary to the plot, yet did not unnecessarily extend the gametime - just as some of the elements (the canals!) did extend the gametime unnecessarily.

With something that is openworld, the game design and level design is micro: you level design the 'bandit camps' and can just drag n drop them into the level editor as instances, almost self contained spawning points for bandits to just 'pop' into existence/system memory. This is versus level designing a linear ABCDEF[insert miniboss]GHIJKLMN[insert miniboss] method of level design.

When you are designing a Farcry game, you are designing the environment mostly (as indicated by GDC talks) and the bandit camps, with ladders, stairs, inside/outside elements as a secondary consideration.

So - to extend the gametime, they add more camps and to extend a linear game, they add more canals.

Where is the cut off - at what point does a linear FPS game become an open world game?

And more importantly: what is more fun? Openword or linear?