Far Cry 6 to feature DirectX RayTracing, FidelityFX CAS and Variable Rate Shading

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 26, 2020.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah the Fangs of War for the animal companions are stranger than ever before what little Ubisoft has showcased so far in artwork and promotional material and the pre-order incentives.
    Trying a bit too hard or how to say but that shows up in a lot of their games in various ways sometimes it kinda fits the game other times it clashes a bit or feels overly forced.

Far Cry has had this dissonance for a while but not to the extent the later installments are now pushing same with Assassin's Creed and Watch_Dogs.
    Possibly the two new Ghost Recons games though these go with being really extreme and over the top from the start whereas some of the other franchises keep it down a bit more but instead players might be wondering about some of the included content or how to say.

EDIT: Or be put off by it for that matter, Valhalla almost feels like it's taking inspiration from the Yakuza series so there's a more focused main narrative and then the side stuff now just about anything goes.

DocStr4ngelove likes this.
  2. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Interesting features. Now add a bit of not extremely boring gameplay to that and you might actually have something here.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Agreed, although I guess he's supposed to deliver ammo to you when you call him and not actually blow up lol.

Fox2232 likes this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I prefer dogs (animals) not being in harm's way. And especially not puppies. Inevitably, in game like this, there are going to be explosions.
    And I quite dislike when game pits you against them forcefully outside of small scope where animal has to be put down to end its suffering.
    (Like in Wolverine grizzly scene.)

5. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    I'm waiting for a new game to play. Just finished Death Stranding. A little weird but refreshingly creative and actually immersive without the distractive bloat this series is saddled with over and over again. One would want to think they are a serious game production company.

6. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    What is "DirtectX12" never heard of it? Im thinking you need someone who is good at spelling working for you guys, I catch misspelled words on every single article and a lot of headlines.

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    So it can become generic shooter #133. Thanks but no thanks.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There was FC1 and then there were generic shooters with generic stories.

I would have rather played continuation of FC1.

9. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    I agree with you...except the Far Cry "clones" really began with FC3 (FC3 being the template for every clone that followed). FC2 was a departure from FC1. It was a fictional story of a merc stranded in a country run by competing factions headed by warlords. The player operates as an independent contractor for hire more or less.

There were no carnival-like mini-games, drugs and/or supernatural filler (aka, "crap") incorporated in the game. It was also not written to be a social media magnet in disguise. The game had its share of issues like most games always do and all of them could have been ironed out in a remake or sequel. But as we have all witnessed, the franchise was turned into a clown show full of eye candy and a lot of features that really kill any sense of immersion.

And it has yet to be done different ever since.

Fox2232 likes this.
  10. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    If i had to pitchfork on something that bothering me with Far Cry/ Assassin Creed is that the quality of the world goes from extremely generic to really beautiful.
    The scope of their world might be too big for what they can realistically deliver in artist time.

I find games like RDR2 and Horizon Zero Dawn have much more consistency in quality.

DocStr4ngelove likes this.

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Great tech, now if only I could buy a card that would be great....

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    RTX 2000 cards have 2/3rds of the tech and you can get those!

13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Totally agree, this is so spot on. Ubisoft games seems to always suffer from grand scope but also emptiness. AC is a perfect example, the games visual design is near perfect (some rough edges but who doesn't have them). But from an open world perspective they seem to go insane on the scale of the world but they never fill it with anything interesting apart from the main story (and even that can be hit or miss). You are then left with a map littered with repetitive missions, needless collectables, and a few easter eggs.

Then you look at a game like Witcher 3 and the world, whilst large for its time, was filled to the brim with interesting locations, a believable world, excellent side missions, expansive and believable characters and settings. There is no part of the Witcher 3's map that feels empty or devoid of life.

Far Cry is even worse in my opinion, I liked 3 as it was different and new for the time. Ever since then each new game has just copied the last. It's like Ubisoft have a check list of things a new FC game needs to have in order to be a FC game. I think they fell into the trap of "we have to have a new game every year, we need to compete/copy Activision who has a new generic boring COD game every year". And the games just suffer because of it.

XenthorX likes this.
  14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    2000 series cards are still really expensive here in the UK for anything that would beat or be a worthy upgrade to my 1080Ti. I waited this long for a true successor to my, still awesome gpu, I can wait a little longer as I think things will be much better by mid-late January. Just annoying that both companies felt like they HAD to release cards now even though both sides simply couldn't meet demand.

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    3070's are slowly stocking up at least and the 3090's are somewhat available but the cost over the 3080 which is missing until tentatively mid-December here isn't really worth it. (Double the price.)
    3070's are at least plenty fast while less costly than the 2080Ti which is still around it's original price level meaning the 3080's a better pick, if any were actually in store.

Mid December to early January possibly February and no info at all on how much of a stock that will be for the 3000's and 6000's and AMD appears to have cancelled the November 5000's delivery(?) so those CPU's might be coming in late December now. :D

Hah this situation is something, a few thousand GPU's in pre-order queue too so getting one in the span of a few months is going to be tough with existing orders and how fast the stock sells out.
    Even if the 6900's are similarly or even more price/performance displaced than the 3090's might be I expect the initial batch to go fast anyway.
    (6800's and 6800XT's for 900 to 1100 Euro the 6900 is not going to be favorably priced at all.)

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    There was FC2, and then the rest. The first FarCry was closer to an engine demo by Crytek than anything with any really interesting story.

FC2 and, in a lesser extent FC3 were great games doing different things. Even FC5 was interesting in some story aspects. FC4 was ok, and interesting in how you could finish it in 15m.

None of them were generic shooters.

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    So... does this mean it won't have RT support for nVidia cards?

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No? RTX uses DXR.

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    As its base, yes, but that doesn't guarantee support.

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    As long as RTX cards can output expected values upon receiving same input values, everything will work.
    And even if RTX cards were not able to accelerate some math, they can still run it via shaders.

Same way as AMD could have add DX-R to GCN cards. Bad performance, but it always can be translated to elementary mathematical operations GCN could do.