Far Cry 5 Thread:

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ramthegamer, May 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    The cult is a bit strange, they have some tie-ins politically including the local law enforcement and possibly beyond yet they only really seem like a heavily armed doomsday saying crazy gang even if they are prepared with the bunkers and all and the weird bliss drug (Real life plants, renamed though and well dialed up to 11 in what it does in-game. https://www.reddit.com/r/farcry/comments/88bc3w/bliss_what_it_actually_is/ ) although the war isn't their doing that's going on when the game is already starting and you can hear the global crisis escalating between missions on the news castings on the radio from economical collapse to chem attacks in major cities to armed conflict and eventually closer to the end the nuclear attacks start though the games two endings divert a bit as to how far it goes but New Dawn makes the nuclear one canon.

There's also all the biblical stuff and usual Far Cry 2 and on writing where the player is shown one thing and then the game is "subtly" showing you the other side (The Alice in the Wonderland thing from Far Cry 3 and all that where it really started.) opening the seals and possibly unleashing this catastrophe but it's never really cleared which is your role and which is Josephs. (Tie-ins to other game franchises too but these are considered non-canon and more like easter eggs such as Joseph looking like a seer from the Assassin's Creed story and lore.)

EDIT: I enjoyed the game for what it was though yeah suspension of disbelief I guess, Far Cry 3 and Rook Island and crazy gangs kinda makes sense, Far Cry 4 and the dictator role of Pagan (And the Golden Path being not that different.) and then there's the 80's action spin-off with Blood Dragon and stone-age journey with Primal.

Here? Well story wise and how it'd go in actuality they'd probably just airstrike the compound if they started too much crap and call it a day really, well perhaps not quite but three local law enforcement officers, one marshal and one helicopter pilot against a cult of 100's of members ha ha. Probably not. :D

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    cerebus23 likes this.
  2. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    Ok, played through New Dawn.
    The graphics seem to have gotten worse indeed, couldn't get it to look sharp no matter the settings. In the second last boss battle it was difficult to see anything, the lighting settings seem to be made for HDR to demonstrate light that makes it impossible to see, some enemies respawn infinitely, and reloads seem to take a longer time before.

The story did not drag me in (I never really got why the twins went so evil), but I really liked that you could truly beef up the difficulty on the outposts, I've had some of my toughest battles in a shooter for quite some time. I also like that it has more RPG elements, although it leads to some silly things like some animals being total bulletsponges. Another downside is that you will look for resources to upgrade yourself as well as the weapons quite a lot.

Overall the game is shorter, but at least the changes to the map are so many that it didn't even really feel like the same place. As a whole I had more fun in New Dawn than in 5. It's something to purchase at a discounted price for sure.

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    FC3,4,5 appear to have the same stoner script writer who thinks its cool to have psychedelic drug elements as part of the gameplay. It horribly destroys the gameplay imo. Wish the writers would grow up and deal with improving the gameplay instead of trying to be cool with their fellow stoners.

DocStrangelove likes this.
  4. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti
    Playing on max settings? I thought this looked a lot nicer than FC5, A few nice tweaks here and there.

I always thopught the twins went bad because they could. Their dad was a bad person and in the fallout there would essentially be a power vacuum. No one to stop them doing what they want and gathering power and people.

I love the rpg parts though, Ive upgraded the mp5 around 25 times, so even the elite bison go down in a quick burst

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah, that's pretty much how I've taken it.
    Sometimes... people are bad for no other reason then "they can be". There doesn't always have to be a big narrative reason why someone is evil.

Also, with the high res texture pack installed, New Dawn looks pretty damn good. Very sharp, crisp and for a change... bright and colorful. I like it.

6. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    There is a brief moment at the very end though.

If you spare the sister who survived - a few dozen .50 cal sniper rifle rounds and who knows how many 7.62 MG42 rounds....bullet sponge bosses! - you can come back once you've taken out the other boss and find a note where she says she's going back to look for her mom again and you won't have any more trouble from her, not so much for the underlings though who continue to spread their blue and pink graffiti car art all over the place heh.

Story wise it takes a few notes to piece it together* but it works as a nice little spin-off into a what-if epilogue to Far Cry 5 or perhaps not so much what if after all and it could be the canon though I think the tie-in to their other games are more like easter-eggs, will be interesting to see what the next Far Cry will be about, think they took a poll a while back asking for settings and where fans would like to see the series next.

Ethan and ex-Faith and how they came about and why they weren't around in Far Cry 5 for one thing, some prepper stashes and side quests also have notes for what the other characters were doing though it's more side fluff than fully story related.

7. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I've said it several times before....
    But, future FarCry titles... I would love to see them go to rather extremes compared to the contemporary settings they've been using.

A Wild West setting I think would be awesome.
    Or, Medieval times. Castles, forts... various mythical beasts and such. Could be a lot of fun.

cerebus23 likes this.
  8. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    Yes, at max, the rx480 8GB can easily handle it. Only have a short slowdown when fast-travelling and then quickly turning around...likely because the data is not fully cached yet. Will have to check if there are any mods for this game at nexus..
    So far I think Primal looks the best.

And as Damien wrote, they could jump freely in different times, already did that with Primal.

Am I right that none of the followers really have own story missions? Not even Hurk? Or did I miss it completely?

9. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti
    I said that to a friend when we were playing. I know its been done before but I'd love a far cry open world zombie game, With co op. I like their formula for open worlds.

But I think they could do any setting well, I'd love one that did some sort of time travel so its leaping around.

I thought so too, i thought it looked much, much better than 5. The texture pack does make a nice difference/

10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Whatever the next Far Cry game will be using for setting in they'll still find a way to stick Hurk in there, probably more RPG mechanics too tying in nicely with Ubisoft's take on the whole Gaming as a Service and extended ongoing support and bit sized content releases though I am not entirely a fan of how it's handled but the extra support and patches is at least a nice gain.

Western could work if guns instead of focus on melee or more "primitive" ballistics weapon is still a focus though I guess while they have been used a good number of times too Zombies might also work and Ubisoft had some experience with it from Zombi(U though it lost that letter when it was ported from the WiiU to other systems.) but we'll see, focusing on close combat (Well closer ranged combat for a video game.) would be fun but I think they'll keep that to the spin-off titles though we will see I suppose.

Series is free standing enough that just about anything works even if there's been some references and hints to the prior games in Far Cry 3 and on so a different time period wouldn't be a issue and the setting has been comic to dramatic to more serious and more goofy and a bit of all.

Mute protagonist and having players selecting a gender and appearance is a bit of a new thing though I would like to see something closer to Assassin's Creed Odyssey and less mute stand-in for the player themselves. :)
    (Though I think Ajay Ghale was already a bit more quiet compared to Broody from Far Cry 3 and his little quips and shout-outs loved how he transformed throughout that game.)

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I'm not sure it would be the best move, but a zombie themed full title... could work.
    As I've said in another thread (here I think, maybe another site) it's not that zombies are not still viable. It's that too many studios just are lazy with how they use them.

A FarCry game set in a more horror focused world, could be great. And, why stop at zombies. Go full on. Include other "horror" themed enemies like vampires, werewolves... really dive into that "classic horror monster" vibe.
    I really enjoy this series. And, I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever FC6 ends up being.
    But... I would love to see them experiment more, like they did with Primal. Different time periods, styles of combat... how fantastical and super natural can it get...

12. fernake

fernake Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix GTX 1080 OC
    The stutter in this game is insufferable, completely destroys the experience, no matter the graphic configuration you use, Ubisoft always makes the same mistakes in their games

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I remember FC4 was having some crazy micro stutters no matter the settings but later games in the series somewhat fixed that.

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I remember that too, 3 had some of it but 4 was way worse. Primal wasn't as bad and I don't remember having it in 5.

Undying likes this.
  15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    FC4 had a terrible stutter.
    But, since Primal... I haven't experienced it. And New Dawn... no stutter, hitching, nothing.

16. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti
    No stutters here, Super smooth

warlord likes this.
  17. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Exactly what i thought when i was playing FC3 as well - why the hell do i have to play through these nightmare levels? Why not just stay away from eating mushrooms in a jungle you know nothing about? :D

Which reminds me of FC4 btw, i literally stopped playing this game in one of those 'sneak through a red temple and fight demons with your friendly neighborhood tiger' levels. I really had enough of this bs.

18. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    No stutter at all.
    Really annoyed that the game still does not have a volume slider for the music, as it is now it plays way too high and has to be muted.
    Also when I have someone with me on a mission, it would be nice if they had any AI to speak about. For instance, if I release the AI quite close to an outpost perhaps it shouldn't just stand around letting itself to be gunned down.
    Same with idiotic salespeople who basically march close by an outpost and then tries to take on elite enemies with a handgun. Yeah, good luck to that.
    This is where I want to see most of the change, more resources for things like AI and also EAX type environmental sounds.

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    No stutter at all, just cringed out at the way the art style, graphical presentation has turned to. Seriously, I've seen DX9 games from 10 years ago that look better than this. And with todays more advanced GPUs, we've been dumbed down to sub-par graphics like this? Far Cry used to be known as the pinnacle of eye candy in games, so quite a let down New Dawn is on that front. Havent gotten too far into the game, so hope the game play makes up for it.

20. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    There are a few places which look better, outside of Hope County. But yes, it's a shame that 2007's Crysis has better looking vegetation than modern games. It's been 12 damn years.
    Of course these game series are a money making machine for them, lots of resources are re-used which speeds up development time.