Far Cry 5 Thread:

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ramthegamer, May 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    KF2 3090 SG
    I finished this the other day. It was the most fun Far Cry since 3, but that's no high praise - 4 was poor, and Primal was boring. The omission of knife takedown was quite honestly a disgrace - that's the defining element of post-Crytek Far Cry. But overlooking that it was a fun if utterly throwaway game. Plot was ok, but I'm fed up with Ubisoft giving binary choice endings and you basically have no way of knowing which one is the 'good' or 'bad' ending... or 'definitive.

fwiw thought both endings kinda sucked - bad ending was almost good until 'only you', and 'good' one was just absolutely ridiculous.

The single player campaign was also very short - 17 hours in total and that included me doing as much of the first two regions' extra missions as I could. Not the best value for money this one. Zero replay value either - once the story was over, there was zero urge on my part to run the game again for any reason.

Overall fun for what it was but I think the Far Cry franchise has run its race now.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Title update 1.7
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/552520/announcements/detail/3428810198736554829

3. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1904051-Patch-Notes-Title-Update-8-July-5th

TU 1.8

EDIT: Hmm wonder if this added support for any more weapons?

Let's just dig that out of the .dll and see then.
    EDIT: Looks unchanged, a few of these were never fully finished like the additional melee weapons and others are coming in the weekly challenges.
    (Unique skin for completing that, regular version for everyone once the next challenge rolls out after a week.)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  4. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc

5. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    I thought the ending was turrible but each to their own I guess,
    I mean there's two options, The Good ending where the world gets blown to bits or The Bad ending where just as you think you can get away you get pulled back into the cult with the hypnotic music, personally I went for the good ending but neither really satisfied me as in both situations Joseph Seed survives so there's no real resolution, honestly the endings felt like a cop out considering the amount of time I sunk into the game.

jura11 and signex like this.
  6. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I went as well with good ending, but if this has been good ending hard to say, because I wanted that ... just kill nothing else

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

7. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Yeah I mean from a moral aspect Joseph Seed was the bad guy and it's your job to capture him or take him down but regardless of what we choose in each ending he gets to live and get away with what he's done no matter what so kind of makes the game pointless and both endings have zero resolution. It's messed up and its stupid really because it ruins what is IMO a fun game up to that point,

I really don't know why the developers chose to do this, maybe they are just trying to show us that life isn't black and white but I think there's subtler ways to do this, it just felt rushed to me like they where hammering this point down at the last minute.

And as far as Joseph Seed is concerned and I quote this from the movie A Time To Kill

"Yes he deserved to die and I hope he burns in hell!!"

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  8. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Well, with the good ending... it basically shows that Joseph was right. While he went about it the wrong way, he was right in what was going to happen.
    But, in the good ending... you do arrest him and take him into custody. So you are still accomplishing your end game goal. It's just the world ends before you can really take him in.

I personally liked it because it wasn't a standard "GOOD ENDING" where the badguy dies, the good guy is a hero... and all is right with the world.
    It's a darker ending that goes more along the lines of showing that even if the good guy does everything he needs to do, sometimes, there are things at work that are outside his control

FC5 is still my favorite in the series.

9. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Really find it hard to believe that people would think that if there's a happy ending then all is right with the world, bad crap happens regardless, nobody is thinking this is a fairy tale but when they set you up as the hero and rob you of the victory then it's a bit of a crap way of ending the game. It invalidates everything you do and makes you think meh what's the point in even playing it, I mean I might as well go and watch Barry Lyndon.

10. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    The end..
    It's not certain that he was right, as it could very well be a self-fulfilling prophecy in which the religious fanatics listen to the news and think he world is coming to an end, and even want it to happen so they hasten it. You visit a few silos which could house nuclear weapons, it's not impossible that the sect would have gotten their hands on them. It's quite strange how the bombs detonate exactly when he says when he has no way knowing that it will happen at that point. And the player himself cannot be fully sure that what he hears on radio is real either because he or she is brain brainwashed for a long period of time. So as it is I'm not even quite sure what happened in the game

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    You do realize "all is right with the world" is an expression. It does not literally mean that all worldly problems are solved. It's a vague expression that basically states the problem at hand is fixed.

But, in a genre that constantly sets you up to win every time... it was actually refreshing to have an ending that did not culminate with the big bad being killed, the "hero" saving the day and all his friends being saved.
    This entry (apocalypse aside) actually has a far more realistic ending then most as the bad guy does survive... and actually, does kind of come out on top.

Too each his own, but in the end. It's just a game.
    if you had fun playing it, that was not invalidated just because an ending cinematic shows you something you disagree with. You still had fun with the gameplay leading there.

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    That would explain the immediate ending but not the rest you hear through the broadcasts from chemical attacks and chaos to economic collapse and more.
    Including near the end I believe other nuclear attacks over the world.
    (EDIT: Ah assuming it was real of course and not induced from funny-flower gas.)

Then again it's probably a bit of both and less eldritch this time and more human reasons and causes. :D And a little bit of nightshade for the Bliss hallucinatory and mental state drug they're making.
    (It's actually a real one but they changed it in the game of course. https://www.reddit.com/r/farcry/comments/88bc3w/bliss_what_it_actually_is/ )

Into especially is something Joseph uses almost immediately White Horse = Sheriff WhiteHorse - Hell Followed and he stares at the player here.
    (And somehow a unstable cult has connections to major financial and political powers, well it is a video game.)

Though I wasn't a huge fan of the ending and how it played out, there's the wait a few minutes choice at the start but then you miss the entire game trying to do that as some of rational decision of not triggering the cult.
    (Three lightly armed officers against a dozen or so crazy drug addicts and weapons everywhere, amazing planning there really. :p )

EDIT: Though New York falling to a chemical attack I believe is also a shout-out to Division and the nod to every Ubisoft game being somewhat interconnected.
    (No large haystacks in this area though so no assassin activity. :p )

13. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    The original Far Cry is my fav easily out of the series.

Mat and ramthegamer like this.
  14. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Stryx Rx 580
    Me too, i would say the first farcry is best for me, farcry 3 comes second, farcry primal is third

15. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080 Ti
    Yeah I perfer the linear sandbox style that Crytek did. The levels are big, but it's still a focused experience. In the open world style that Ubisoft does I just fast travel between missions because I only want to do the main campaign, so the open world becomes pointless. I'd rather they tried a more linear approach where they can really focus on quality. Sometimes less is more.

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I don't really consider them part of the same series.
    Outside of name, they have nothing in common. The first FarCry was a semi-sandbox, linear, B-level sci-fi/action romp filled with camp and 80s level cheese. It was definitely it's own thing. And I loved it.

But, every game in the mainline series since... has been open world, and a completely different style of game.
    Focused on realistic settings, enemies and stories built around deranged, insane cults/militia. I've always kind of viewed the series in a way similar to the Prey series. Two games named Prey, zero in common.

Seven games called FarCry (I don't count the console titles)... only six of them share a theme. And the only one even partially close to CryTek's original... is Blood Dragon. And even it is played for laughs and camp WAY more then Crytek's title.

Personally, FarCry Primal is still my all time favorite in the Ubisoft series. But, followed directly by FC5 and then 3.
    Blood Dragon is awesome, but it's so short and really does feel like a quick one off. And FC4, well, despite fine tuning a bit of the gameplay... didn't do enough to separate itself from 3.

17. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3070Ti
    I absolutely loved Blood Dragon. I have played through it 3 times and loved every moment of it.

I enjoy playing 5 but I honestly dont care about the story at all. I too would have appreciated a bit more of a focused story but thats not what these games are about anymore. I play this game in small doses.

18. Mat

Mat Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7850 2g CF 1050/1300
    I loved 5, I honestly think 3 was the best, 1 was original, it doesn't really fit with the rest...... I've not even played blood dragon even tho I own it, I'm going to install it and give it a go tonight!

19. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    There was something EPIC feeling about Far Crys scenarios for me. More exciting. More immersive. The rest though visually nice, seemed to lack that Epicness for me.

20. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    It's great fun. Played through 3 times.