Far Cry 5 Thread:

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ramthegamer, May 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    That's ofc a sound alternative :)

2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    I made this comparison, showing what a big difference just upping render res by .1 makes.

Native 4k

[​IMG]

4k 1.1 render res

[​IMG]

4k 2.0 render res, just for lols

[​IMG]

The effect is obviously not as pronounced on still shots compared to ingame, but even on stills, you can see the effect that increasing render res just by .1 gives. With 2.0 render res any shimmering is completely gone. The shimmering is close to gone at 1.5 render res, but at 1.1 there is still some shimmer present, although a whole lot less than at native 4k. Will be nice when i have enough hardware power to run 4k 1.5 render res :p

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    2.0 is double width and height or 2x2 I assume so 7680x4320 yeah that's going to require a bit of hardware.

1.5 would be 5760x3240 so a bit above 5120x2880 but even at 1.1 for a 4k res that's a nice increase in total pixels already so I can see why it's effective even it doesn't sound like much but it doesn't completely tank framerate either.
    Native 3840x2160 must be quite stunning but downsampling still helps although yeah it's going to need some pretty good GPU power for current games even if they're well optimized when total pixel count is in the millions ha ha.

EDIT: I can barely see that extremely green text but 25 - 30 FPS isn't bad actually considering the render resolution used.

EDIT: Ah so that's why, a good SLI (or Crossfire for AMD.) profile doesn't hurt either, nice of Ubisoft to not have completely forgotten about multi-GPU configurations and ensuring they scale well.
    (DX11 so helped by AMD and NVIDIA's driver supporting it.)

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Still wouldn't hurt for Ubi to get a texture pack out, I guess AMD prefers if Ubisoft is keeping tessellation a bit low but that terrain texture itself is pretty low resolution.
    (EDIT: Even if Polaris and newer are somewhat better at handling tessellation and geometry in general.)

signex likes this.

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    Yeah, the 2.0 render res is 8k downsampled to 4k... it's truly glorious ! But yeah, with my hardware at least, it isn't feasible. 1.1 render res is the best i can do, while maintaining 58 fps, which is what i cap my fps at for g-sync.

I completely agree... i don't mind if objects don't get improved textures, but the ground is in desperate need of higher quality textures, and a higher LOD range on the textures aswell !

6. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Stryx Rx 580
    Game desperately needs a ground or terrain lod fix...landscapes look extremely flat in far distance i dunno if this can be fixed

7. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3 GU
    It's because of the parallax occlusion mapping... It's the same problem Crysis had in 2007 on those kind of surfaces. The anisotropic filtering doesn't apply there and it results in blurriness and somehow it looks flat because it's also LOD related. I think they used mixed techniques, there's indeed some kind of displacement mapping on the roads for instance (unfortunately it appears only 3 meters away from camera :( ) but also POM.

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Getting ctd's ... oh well.

9. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Stryx Rx 580
    Problem with buying ubisoft open world games....well assassins isn t like this...watch dogs 2 wasn t like this, somehow they will mess up.something.and it comes in this game, anw at least game never drops below 65 fps, i have set res scale to 1.1which somewhat took away the blurriness but still can be found a bit

10. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3 GU
    It's a different engine which still carries on its own limitations. I think they can't do miracles.

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    Yeah, time to ditch this ancient engine !

12. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    There is also game engines that adjust POM or Tesslation dynamically based on your Anisotropic level.
    I've used AF 16x in all games, but I was shocked that in some games (I think ROTT is one of them), I got a much bigger performance penalty to run at 16xAF than most games.
    For this game, yeah, it seems to be separated from the rest of the AF option.

13. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3 GU
    Yes indeed, the Dunia doesn't belong to them though. There's always this inconsistent look in my opinion, if it wasn't for the (volumetric) lighting the game would be graphically much more outdated.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  14. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    Apparently FC5 doesnt work on old Phenom cpu.
    I was going to get it, at the risk of having to play it at lowest settings. But with my old trusted X3, no chance.

15. ObscureangelPT

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    @pedropaulo Yep it doesn't, same with AC Origins, it also applies to every other CPU that don't support SSE 4.1
    This have been happening to many games but all end up patched after a while.
    Ubisoft latest games don't and it's curious that it stopped working since they start to use VMProtect on their games.
    So it might be DRM related, since Dunia has nothing special that a Phenom II wouldn't handle it at >30FPS.

pedropaulo likes this.

16. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Stryx Rx 580
    Bro phenom cpu is too old,i guess its time to get urself a modern i7 :p

17. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Stryx Rx 580
    Bro the graphics and coding of the dunia engine in farcry 5 is totally different than of that farcry 2 dunia engine, its miles apart in graphics vs that game...get a new cpu this is the only thing

18. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    Not going to buy a new cpu. Also i had to buy a new mobo+mem and probably a graphic card too.
    Not worth it. Mostly because i´m out of cash:)

19. ObscureangelPT

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Still, both AC Origins and Far Cry 5 are the only games that actually requires SSE 4.1, and curiously are also the only ones using VMProtect.
    There were games before like RE7, Mafia 3, FF XV and many many others that initially never ran on a Phenom II, but all them end up being patched, because SSE 4.1 was not mandatory at all to run certain instructions.

I'm fine with the fact that the CPU was able to run all games during 8 years, and obviously I accept it's death since I wasn't even expecting to maintain it for so long time and I don't expect it to get a patch in the future for those 2 games.
    Altough, the reasons why those 2 games don't work on it for me sound like Pure DRM stuff, and I usually don't point fingers at DRMs, like most people did on AC Origins Denuvo + VMProtect.
    But it's a too big coincidence for the only 2 games that don't work being the only 2 games that makes use of VMProtect :D

Just like @pedropaulo I'm also going to upgrade, but in my case will be next year, Zen 2 + new Navi and nvidia cards sounds a lot of choice and competition to me, so prices will certainly be good and my Steam Backlog it's huge, so I'm not even concerned.
    Cheers

20. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Stryx Rx 580
    Whats the zen2? And new navi?