Far Cry 5 Thread:

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ramthegamer, May 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Vision OC 24GB
  2. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Unlocked in Germany right now <3 :D

3. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    it's out on UPLAY

DocStrangelove likes this.
  4. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Vision OC 24GB
    still locked in uk, on steam, 5am release ergh..

5. Pandora's Box

Pandora's Box Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultr
    [​IMG]

SLI is working beautifully!

Consoles can't touch this lmao. Pushing 19 Million Pixels @ Ultra. 6880x2880 Resolution

[​IMG]

Netherwind and BangTail like this.
  6. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    It's not only beautiful, it also runs like a charm. Now that's what i call a PC release.

PRO TIP: don't do a takedown with a baseball bat or other blunt stuff, the physx will sometimes make the body disappear without the possibility of looting it. Switch to fists (assign a key to make weapon disappear / holster) first. Or just use throwing knifes.

7. specialkone

specialkone Member

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080TIOC
    I ran the in game benchmark at 1080P Ultra (video link below). I didn't get Hilbert's 121 average FPS but I don't have his six core i7-5960X either. An average of 115 FPS for me, close enough. I'm thinking/hoping this game will run smoothly.

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Played the game last night... well, in the early hours of this morning actually... and first impressions are that it looks great, a very noticeable improvement in graphics quality over Far Cry 4 especially but also Far Cry Primal. The lighting in particular is impressive as is the switch to, I believe, physical based rendering which makes the game look closer to photo realistic much of the time. Impressive considering the install size of the game at 'just' 26.6 GB which is small for a modern triple A title.

The only issue I have with the visuals are that draw in is evident; not so much pop up but clutter and small objects can be seen drawing in very close by as you move forward, much like the it was with Crysis all those years ago. I guess that's the price you pay for having graphics of this quality in order to maximise performance... which brings me on to my second gripe. Performance just isn't that great on my PC with dips below 60 fps on Ultra 2560x1440 settings, especially during cutscenes. The framerate can go as high as 90-100 fps but then can drop to sub-50 fps in spots leading to the game feeling a bit choppy even though I'm using G-SYNC. CPU usage is generally very low (under 50% as far as I've noticed) so I'm not sure what is causing these dips? Unoptimised NVIDIA drivers? Inefficient CPU (my i7-4770K is from 2013)?

Performance is generally fine but given what I'd been reading about the game's optimisation I was expecting to be able to run this game with ease above 60 fps at all times. That doesn't seem to be the case for me. Note: I am running the game off a 7,200rpm SATA3 hard drive as opposed to my SSD but I cannot see how that would affect performance, only the loading times (speaking of which, the initial loading time for this game was horrendously long at several minutes and then another 1-2 minutes to get into the game itself).

Cannot comment too much on the game itself yet as I only played it for just under an hour (it was 2am!) but I was surprised at the lack of on-screen markers and quest pointers, leading to a confusing opening section where I was not really sure where to go or what to do. Also, I encountered a very, very bizarre bug... at least I think it was a bug as I was playing with muted audio. After the opening helicopter crash where you have to run away from gun fire, I came across my first stealth tutorial. It was here that I snuck up on the enemy guard and pressed the right analogue stick down (R3) as prompted only to have him disappear. What followed was me trying to kill him; every time I took a shot at him or hit him with a branch he would disappear as if my magic and appear elsewhere! After a couple of minutes of trying to kill him, mostly taking refuge in the hut he was outside of, I gave up and ran on another building where I found the surviving FBI agent from the chopper crash. Not sure, what happened there but it was utterly weird and given the game's foundation in reality, I suspect this teleporting enemy was not intentional!!!

Anyway, in the next section with the FBI agent I encountered my next bug. Well, maybe not a bug but a poorly explained section where I was given a rifle and had to fend off waves of (sadly identical-looking cloned) enemies coming in from the forest. I was unable to leave the building, although enemies could come in, and eventually I ran out of bullets until I remembered I could loot the bodies of the dead ones inside the hut. Apparently, I was supposed to pick up a key and exit out the back door. Anyway, I died and was respawned at the part where you enter a vehicle for a chase and gun sequence, a Far Cry tradition it seems.

*EDIT*
    I've just played the game for 20 minutes this morning, same opening area, and performance was around 70+ fps and did not dip below that as far as I could tell despite me taking over two outposts in that time and freeing two hostages (one of whom is my current gun-for-hire).

Maybe the performance I had initially was a result of me testing the benchmark at 150% (1.5) resolution scaling and somehow the settings didn't get reset? Whatever, performance seemed much improved over my first play.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    -Tj- and AsiJu like this.
  9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Tried the benchmark and stock Ultra @ 3440x1440 gave me 81fps average at stock clocks. When I used my usual OC i got 85fps and when I turned down Shadows a notch and switched to SMAA I got 87fps.

The pop-ins in FC4 were extremely noticeable since they appeared a few meters in front of you. I truly hope it's not the case in this game although the benchmark shows some of it already. I really hated how it worked in FC4 since it "grained" itself visible which is sooo very ugly. About performance I see in your edit that it seemed OK when you turned down the Resolution Scale slider :)

10. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Vision OC 24GB
    runs smooth all on high on my girlfriends 3770+1060 6gb, was suprised how optimised and well it runs.

11. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    HDR on the PC
    [​IMG]

insp1re2600 likes this.
  12. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    it runs quite smooth @ 4k with some stuff turned down because they don't matter a lot

in cut-scenes it dips to 52fps

13. nonymous666

nonymous666 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
    My only complaint so far is the surround sound, or lack thereof. Not directional at all. I here people yelling during a firefight and can't tell at all where they're at. And even if they're yards away, they often sound like they're right on top of me.

14. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Maxed at 4K/60FPS (SLI scaling very well) - no drops to speak of, good work Ubi :)

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Ubi is really acting strange... a solid PC port running smooth without any patches even.

Credit where credit is due, very nice work! Ubi is becoming the go-to PC game maker quickly.

Haven't gotten around to testing the game myself yet but given everything posted and HH's test should be smooth sailing.

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    If you go to 3rd Party there is an option to enable Corsair RGB support. I have a Corsair Strafe keyboard but I cannot enable that option. Anyone with the same problem?

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Yes, I have the Corsair K70 RGB keyboard and M65 mouse but the option does nothing in the game.

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    P.S. Although the textures are mostly good/fine in this game, I did notice some shockingly poor low-res ones on rock surfaces while climbing. Does anyone know if Ubisoft plan on releasing an HD pack for this game. It barely uses 4 GB of my GTX 1080 Ti's 11 GB of VRAM.

19. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    O men, HDR in this game is so nice, much better HDR effects vs Battlefield or Masseffect, also better than FFXV and AC Origins.

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I also noticed that this is the first Far Cry game, as far as I know, to give you a physical in-game body as you can see your legs! It's a minor touch but it's one that can break the sense of immersion in a first-person game for me if I look down and see myself as a floating viewpoint that casts no shadow, etc.

lucidus likes this.