Far Cry 5 Stutter Issue - Has It Ever Been Resolved

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by mgilbert, Sep 6, 2019.

1. mgilbert

mgilbert Member

GPU:
    16 GB DDR3
    Has anyone ever found a solution to the Far Cry 5 stuttering issue? It occurs regularly and randomly, regardless of what video resolution and detail settings I use. I've tried every trick I know, and every trick I can find online, and nothing helps.

The game is plenty playable. It just glitches, very briefly, every few seconds, which is just annoying...

AMD 1700 @3.75 GHz, MSI RX-480 Gaming X 8Gb, 16 DDR4 at 2,666 MHz, NVMe SSD, Windows x64, etc...

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I think its a engine problem. FC4 had some serious stuttering issues that got "resolved" with FC5 but as you can see its still present at some point. FC New Dawn has even less stutter but sadly its still there. Beside some tricks like you said there is nothing you can do.

3. mgilbert

mgilbert Member

GPU:
    16 GB DDR3
    In Far Cry 4, I had stuttering issues if I chose settings that allowed the FPS to drop below 60. If I chose settings that allowed 60 FPS or better all the time, I got no microstutter. In Far Cry 5, even that trick doesn't work! I get glitches, even at 1080 with low graphics settings. Nothing gets rid of the glitches. It's not a dealbreaker, but it sure is annoying.

I was wondering if the problem might be the Dunia engine. Sound like it is, which means it can't be fixed.

Thanks for the feedback...

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Streaming and the way the world is loaded and the game not using more cores so it's down to efficiency and brute force for CPU and RAM in particular and then for CPU single thread performance at that giving newer Intel CPU's a advantage though the Zen+ and newest Zen2 from AMD should hold up better but I don't think it's fixable due to engine limitations carrying over from early Dunia and Far Cry 2 even if it was overhauled in Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4 though for the Ubisoft engines of Anvil, Disrupt and Dunia it feels like Dunia never really caught up to the features in the other two. :)
    (It does what it does but overall it's less complex though carrying some bottlenecks as well.)

EDIT: Actually the 60 FPS sounds interesting so it could be timing related too and maintaining a certain framerate value from how that updates though I don't remember Dunia Engine having a issue like that but it could be a area where it might improve even if it's not a complete fix for the stutter issue if it's updating around 59.24Hz (~59) rather than 59.94Hz (~60) if that could be a thing then.

5. mgilbert

mgilbert Member

GPU:
    16 GB DDR3
    I understand. Thanks. I guess the best thing to do is just play the game and not worry about it.

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Yeah I would probably agree with that and it's going to be a bother but there's not much to be done and capping to a lower framerate just hampers enjoyment too and overall smoothness and feeling of fluidity so that's not something I'd advise either even if it might lessen the stuttering.

Frame pacing and smoothness isn't going to help whenever the game engine has a moment and tries loading the next chunk of the world or during prolonged sessions it might hitch and stutter until restarted too so it's something Ubisoft would need to work with for future installments though it's not the worst engine either but even on hardware well above the recommended it can act up because it hits certain bottlenecks.
    (The game isn't exactly on a level where it would warrant 4.5 - 5 Ghz CPU power and DDR4 3200 memory and just brute force the symptom away.)

Think it scales up to quad core but the threading and streaming doesn't use too many threads and then the regular spawning of AI and other activities and events and yep stuttering and loading which can be felt even if the game tries processing it in the background. :)

PC ports have improved overall as well and take better advantage of hardware so that also makes it so one is more sensitive towards these little disruptions when they do occur and even if they're short the frequency of these stutters and hitches can get really annoying but well there's unfortunately not much that I know about that can outright fix it.

Which I guess is basically saying the same thing again but hopefully the game itself can still be enjoyable though it's not easy to filter out and if it occurs during combat or other moments it gets worse as it directly affects the gameplay.
    (High speed airplane sequences or other fast traversal means can be problem areas well forcing the engine to load and unload data much faster even when it's done through a SSD.)

7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Funny thing with FC4, FCP, and FC5 if you set graphics to High (Ultra barely gives any IQ upgrade) and cap the fps to 30fps but play on a 1080p60Hz screen and force Vysnc+Triple Buffering through NVCP on a profile for these games the stutter completely goes away. This is how I played the games using my second PC in the living room for a "console experience). Setting the game to 60fps and 60Hz or above seems to incur stuttering.

On my main PC I played the games at 1440p Ultra 144Hz and the games ran fine with high fps but stutters/skips where still there. Even moving the game over to an NVME drive with 3GB/s read and 2.5GB/s write speeds didn't improve stutters much. Like other have said it seems to be an engine limitation.

Hope is here though for future Ubisoft games as one of the internal devs mentioned the company as a whole across the board is moving each engine over to Vulkun API and ditching DX altogether. This alone should mitigate most of the stutters if they do it right.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Try it without CFG enabled on the process.

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Cool, from where did read that, about Vulkan? Out of interest.

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    It was in an inteview with one of the devs from division 2 he let it slip and they just brushed over it and never talked about it again.

11. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    2070 subpar RTX OFF
    Yeah the stutter is still there. I've reinstalled it 2 times; once when I upgraded to an 8700k a year ago and again when I got my 2070s. No change. It's the reason I haven't done a second playthrough.

12. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Dunia engine is crap, it always maxes the 1st thread and it causes hitches.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Rubbish, never had a stutter on any Dunia title.

14. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I played both Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4 and I didn't have any stuttering in either of them that I can recall.

15. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I had stutter in FC4.
    It got better with patches, but still showed up a little.

But, Primal, FC5 and New Dawn all played very smooth.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    high framerates?

17. mike2299

mike2299 Member

GPU:
    nVidia
    No, never had this issue. Running it nicely on MSI RTX 2060 with Soundblaster 7.1 USB souncard.

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I can recall stutters in FC4, FCP (wow there was a lot of it here), FC5 and FCND. But the amount and severity has greatly depended on my hardware which has changed a lot during that time. FC5 didn't have a lot of stutter and FCND even less (now with an AMD rig and way more cores).