Far Cry 3 massive micro stutter when under 60 frames?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NudeDragon, Dec 6, 2012.

1. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
  2. abollo

abollo Guest

GPU:
    HD7970
    Yes, but on HD7970 it runs way smoother.

3. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    Not sure it's fair to blame the games for this since they seem to run without stuttering on AMD hardware.

4. Jakshi

Jakshi Member Guru

GPU:
    PoV GTX680@1300/3700
    Not true. I had AMDs before the 680 and it was exactly the same. I still have a 5870 here and I did test far cry 3 with it, EXACTLY the same. And you can clearly see the 7970s also stutter in the video. I don't know how you can state something you don't know **** about. It just seems to me, and I'm talking about personal experience, AMD has MORE pc-noobs buying their hardware because they're cheaper. I'm not saying AMD hardware is noob hardware and don't want to offend anyone but u can clearly see this by reading the posts in the official forum. This results in less people complaining.

Also I'm using D3DAntilag since I got my 3870 from AMD, not without reason.....
    There are many older games with the same problem and they were never fixed.

I think that's SLI vs Crossfire. AMD has just a better dual-gpu profile atm, that's why the one stutters less. But let me say, on a Single-GPU setup both stutter the same -> engine fault not the drivers.

Edit: from google translate the video description
    The 680 setup is also dual gpu.

Edit2: Just to tell you one thing I also noticed over the years.
    If a game has engine stutter a dual-gpu setup may fix it. Example: Mafia 2 has occasional engine stutter, with my Crossfire 6970 it didn't stutter at all. With my 680 atm I'm using D3DAntilag. STALKER SoC, Metro 2033, Halo 2 are all older games with engine stutter on single GPU but not on Dual-GPU setups.
    Easily explained: The gpus have different buffer setups with sli or crossire, they only render when snyced, so one card renders then the other one does and they always wait for each other. That's also the reason why Dual-GPU setups will always have higher input lag than single-gpu, not because of more frames in the buffer but because they wait for each other.

Edit 3: The in-video description says that the 680 sli setup, actually it's a 690, renders with 40fps and the 7970s with about 60fps which is why the latter stutters less. Cmon guys I don't want to be the one who has to tell you what one can clearly see himself. LOL i just put NICHTSWISSER in google because it sounded german, it actually is for NITWIT. Spot on.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012

5. RecluSe

RecluSe Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SC/ACX 2.0
    My friend has a 7970 and has the stutter issue too. It's not just happening for people with Nvidia cards.

6. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yup it's likely an game engine issue or both parties need to improve the drivers.

7. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    i have no stutter at all when i can hold 60 fs. but, soon as i drop below 60 fps it feels like 30 fps the lag/stutter is so bad.

and i wont even get started on MP. the performance is way worse than SP. oh and the constant crashing after a round ends in MP for multi GPU machines, that is a real piss off!

hope we see a patch soon. no word though other than they stated they're tweaking the UI. UBI reminds me of EA when it comes to comunication! sad...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  8. Slikar

Slikar Guest

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    I somehow fixed it.. although not 100% fixed but fine.
    I set in-game vsync OFF and ''max pre-rendered frames'' to 3 , in NVCP i set it to 1 and adaptive vsync ON , Triple Buffer ON. Its works much better now .. about 80% of lag is gone but still from time to time i get lags.. but its maybe my cpu.
    I play at 1920x1080 and every other setting in game is ultra , AA is off.

9. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    I know what the problem is, you guys pirated the game. There is a problem with the reloaded crack haha. Well most of you guys have that issue.

10. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Yeah sure, we all pirated the game :rolleyes:

shame no one takes refunds on PC games anymore...I want my $50 back :puke2:

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Na theres just a problem with your crack (your mum smoked it all, marry xmas):)
    I to paid for this game and have this issue also.

And be quiet you, your just a PC gamer. The only thing you deserve is some stut..stutt...stutter, and five patches to go with it.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  12. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    *yawn* not impressed.

13. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    In "C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\Far Cry3\GamerProfile.xml" , try changing "PostFxQuality" setting to False

or

Get back to FC3 v1.02

14. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Sorry man, was just a joke s'all.

15. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    .......Merry Xmas +1 Day

16. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    I don't have horrible microstutter. Sometimes the frames drop about 5fps. Otherwise I have a smooth gameplay. It drops from 52 average fps to about 46-48fps for less than a second. I notice the fps drop but it's not annoying or anything. I guess it's when it's loading new textures?

310.70 WHQL.
    All games settings are set to ultra (no AA, shadows at high)
    1920x1080p

Happy holidays :)

EDIT:
    My GPU usage is about 94/84-89%.

17. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Well... I for one have not been experiencing microstutter issues. I'm currently running 2560x1440 downsampled to 1920x1200 on ultra settings, HBAO, 1-frame in game, MSAA off, vsync off, DX11, alpha enhanced. I'm also using nvidia inspector to force very high on both textures and AO, LOD Bias clamped at -1.0, Aniso 16x, Antialiasing override app setting, AA app controlled/off, FXAA off, frame limiter off, max prerendered frames 1, prefer max performance, single display perf mode, threaded on, vsync forced on, adaptive on.

I'm also running an i7 860 @ 4ghz and overclocked 680gtx @ 1.2ghz.

Hmm.... just a random thought, but what is everyone using for sound? I've got an X-Fi titanium HD @ 24bit/96k and have onboard sound disabled via the bios. Considering I've been stutter free since day one (minus one really bad beta driver) with my GTX 680... i've been thinking certain combinations of hardware or perhaps some oboard controller found on both AMD and Intel boards could be the cause.

18. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X

I assume you've probably already tried, but anyways, turning off, all the in game settings related to vsync or frame limiting. Also disable Vsync / frame limiting from drivers.

Then just use D3DOverrider to triple buffer +vsync? Still stuttering?

19. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Alpha enhanced has any effect without MSAA? Screenshots?

Since you already have HBAO enabled in-game what is driver-forced AO doing for you?

20. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 X Trio
    I've personally found using a custom/tweaked gamerprofile.xml makes a huge difference both in terms of IQ and performance. I honestly couldn't find the perfect mix of vanilla settings that yielded all around good performance. Still the occasional dip here and there but its fleeting and I hardly notice it.

If you're having issues and haven't already done so, I'd highly recommend checking out some of the several good examples that others have posted in the General -> Games forum. I'm personally using one that Veteran posted and it's worked great for me, here's a quick link to the post

ymmv