Far Cry 3 - Graphical Tweaks & Problem Solving

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by NeoEnigma, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I tried DX9, DX11, MSAA, no MSAA. It will always be like that. Also, if i set Ambient Lighting to low, it disappear mostly.

I think that's why the switch to "storm weather" when they use the flashlight. The environment doesn't reflect the sun. But once it's back to normal, all the walls are reflective like hell like my pictures.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2012
  2. 0xc0ffee

0xc0ffee Member

GPU:
    Asus gtx670
    Heya. My first post here.

Can anyone tell the difference between vegetation on low and very high? I notice ZERO difference. Is it supposed to control the density of grass? Mine seems to be thinning out at too close a range, whereas I can't remember it doing that before. Take a look at this old screenshot. See how thick the grass is even really far off around the palm trees? Now look at this recent pic; see how bald the hill on the right is?

3. TK423

TK423 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 980
    Anyone with SLI (2 x GTX 580 here) getting far superior performance with V Sync off?

I tried it with Adaptive V Sync and that was a bit better than regular V Sync but I am still getting much, much better performance with it completely off.

I'm not getting too much screen tearing either. Barely any.

Anybody else noticing similar results?

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Whats your frame rate like with Vsync on (in control panel), and are you using the latest drivers? And in- game settings.

I'll have a go at what you suggested when i get home.

5. TK423

TK423 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 980
    With V Sync on I'm constantly jumping from 45-60 fps, staying on 60 fps no longer than 10 seconds at a time. Sometimes dropping so low as 25 or 60.

I'm currently running everything on Ultra at 1920x1080. Running 310.70 drivers with DX11 SLI bits changed in Nvidia Inspector to 0x080912F5.

Let me know your results.

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    From how the renderconfigdefault.xml file is set up then yes you should be able to set up multiple quality level sections.

It should be something like this:

<Post>
    <quality GameDepthOfField="1" CinematicDepthOfField="1" MotionBlur="1" SSAO="1" FXAALevel="0" CloudShadows="1" SSAOMaxDistance="200" id="ultrahigh" />
    <quality GameDepthOfField="0" CinematicDepthOfField="0" MotionBlur="0" SSAO="0" FXAALevel="0" CloudShadows="0" SSAOMaxDistance="0" id="low" />
    </Post>

For SSAO it should disable by switching that ssao="0" command but you could complement it by setting ssaomaxdistance="0" as well along with "<RenderProfile SSAOLevel="0"

Should be disabled then, if it's not then maybe the effect you are seeing is simply the self-shadowing the game uses?
    (Plants use it for example or well most anything use it but it's more noticeable on such objects so it's not just used on characters.)

I am also unsure about PostFXLevel, it's not used (Not listed at all.) for the Xenon and PS3 segments and also the low quality preset on PC whereas medium and above all use a value of 2 so maybe it's not related to overall quality which I first thought.

It goes under the "Post" commands like this:
    <Post>
    <quality PostFXLevel="2" id="high" />

I'll have to check up on what it might be used for. :)

EDIT: And yeah I also get that weird specular highlighting in those caverns, unsure what's up with that.

7. Gembel

Gembel Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    Hahaha...that's bitter sweet specular... It looks good on day time, but in dark place or night time, it SUCKS..

8. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    I stopped the stuttering by running the game in Dx9 and forcing AFR in CCC.

Now have the game running vsynced at 60fps everything on highest except MSAA at x2.

9. kaicooper

kaicooper Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 SC ACX
    i wanna run AA ..im using NewInegma sweetfx profile
    i have single GTX 580 and wanna run AA through Nvidia Inspector..whats the best?

should i disable SSAO?

10. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    SweetFX doesn;t do anything (in terms of SMAA) in either dx9 or dx11 in FC3. I have tried it, made screenshots, made my eyes bleed in an attempt to spot the difference but except for fps drop - there was none.

11. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    from the config I've set postFX to ultrahigh but disabled dof & blur & increased max ssao distance from the added post commands, however now my gpu is around 90 - 95% trying to hold 60fps, so when i previously had my postFX set to low something wasn't being enabled cause at that time it was only around 70% previously.
    anyways very happy now, got card @ 1.23 to keep temps around 65C.
    Also thanks to Jonas for including the complete config.

edit : i'm back to pre-render 0 & postfx low. :)
    still x2 ssao view distance enabled (hdao)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  12. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    well, if you like your shadows soft/diffuse-like, set shadow quality to medium and you will get more fps and soft shadows :) (I really dislike those ultra high shadows, they are way to sharp and very distracting). I find it that having something at the highest setting just for the sake of having it on highest can be counter productive at times. For instance I fail to see that any of the ultra-high options in FC3 make any difference to the image quality when compared to high setting. What is the difference between postFX medium, high and ultra-high? I fail to see any :S It seems that above medium/high all that those options do is increase the resolution of certain textures or effects. Please correct me if I am wrong because I would really like to see difference for, say, postFX medium/ultra.

13. NeoEnigma

NeoEnigma Master Guru

GPU:
    ---
    PostFX High:
    Increases SSAO max distance from (medium) 50 to 100
    Disables "depthDownsample" (whatever this is... its present in low-medium)

PostFX Very High:
    Enables Motion Blur

Ultra:
    Sets FXAA quality to max
    Enables CloudShadows (not sure what this does... but it eats FPS)

It's sorta pointless as to what changes in the quality settings, since you can completely override these in the config and set whatever you want for ultra (see first post on how to configure the GamerProfile.xml file)

For example, even though the ultra PostFX setting has motion blur, SSAO and CloudShadows, I disable all of those in MY ultra setting. If you want to make the most out of this game, get in that file and start customizing it :)

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Cloud shadows should allow for dynamic shadows on the terrain from just clouds as they move around, it's rather demanding (Even more so as the shadow resolution is pretty high too.) albeit I've never really seen clouds in this game unless it does something from that 2d skybox, there's no actual clouds as far as I can tell.
    (Then again the sun isn't real either and it still works for light streaks and such so there's likely something for simulating the cloud effect.)

15. gx-x

gx-x Maha Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    @NeoEnigma: Thanks man. I am quite happy with postFX on medium. I hate motion blur btw :) SSAO...I tried disabling it but haven't managed to do so. Whatever I do in xml file I still have those ugly black glows around everything :S

16. freeman28

freeman28 Member Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX 670
    I had a problem running the game on fullscreen on DX11. When I play @ 1440p the game wont run on fullscreen.

I have a 2560x1440 monitor @ 67htz. The issue of the non fullscreen is the refresh rate of the monitor. When I set to 60htz fullscreen mode works perfectly.

Yes, I have the same ugly picture. Epic FAIL :bang:

17. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    do u recommend this xml file for the gt 220?, or does playing with low shadows low post fx and every other thing on medium settings better?thanks

18. NeoEnigma

NeoEnigma Master Guru

GPU:
    ---
    I wouldn't recommend this game on that machine... period. Seems like it barely meets the minimum requirements... if that.

19. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    yep, i've went back to everything at ultra with only some things i don't like disabled from config like soft shadows, blur & dof, i never use any AA though in any game.
    also using this again >
    GPUMaxBufferedFrames="1"
    got it at 1 in nvcp too (it's my default)

20. razord93

razord93 New Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti Lightning Z
    You could try, as i had my graphic card in power saving mode at 40-50 fps,
    and a 690 in power saving is at the same level as rly low end gpu.