Far Cry 3 Crash makes no sense

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xtreme512, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    no my friend ım not getting any stutter.. and just finished the game , can say that 306.97 did the trick for CTD's.

for stuttering have you change the in game vsync 2 apply then 1 apply and try ?

dont know how to check vram but use OSD in game and see the usage.. my vram usage is 1gb approx. in fc3 but in hitman aboslution anf bf3 I saw 1500 mb :) if you have 4 gb vram then dont worry.. but also you need to have at least 8 gb ram. and dont disable the pagefile.

2. Donny_uk

Donny_uk Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 Classi 4095Mb
    No, I didn't try vsync when I reverted. RAM shouldn't be a problem although it is bottlenecked by the CPU clock. Page file is on.

I've actually noticed that my 680 is running on PCIe 2.0 x8 under load. Bottleneck? :s

3. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    it should be x16 ... does your mobo support pci ex 16x ?

4. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB

5. Donny_uk

Donny_uk Member

GPU:
    Yeah, it does but I think it may have something to do with the fact that I have a PCIe wireless card. I'll remove and see if it makes a difference.

6. cps1974

cps1974 Active Member

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX770 4GB
    glad you got prob solved i joined up to add my tuppence, far cry
    3 has a great single player campaign but seemed to get far too easy after i got a silenced ms16 rifle let alone the signature weapons but still a very nice looking and fun world to explore

ive not seen any evidence for significant performance leaps on PCIe x4 vs x8 vs x16 if i missed this please post

metro 2033 bf3 skyrim can all use over 1GB vram at ultra on 1920*1080
    prob others also

i have 310.70 game patch 1.04 not 1 crash but card and cpu run hotter on far cry 3 when compared to bf3 (64 mp) and skyrim

my card idles under 29c and maxes at load = 66c

its winter here in uk but its not very cold winter mostly wet and my heating has been up enough for me to wear tshirts indoors

glad i finally signed up here as i expect to have some future probs yall can assist with

i have haf-x case with phanteks on the cpu @ 4.8GHz

7. Nchinmay

Nchinmay Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G
    Its funny it was crashing for me with the older driver and updating to 310.70 fixed it for me. Or was there some 310.xx beta. I may have used that.

8. Donny_uk

Donny_uk Member

GPU:
    Actually, there is a GPU scalling graph on different PCIe connections.

[​IMG]

And as soon as I changed a few things on my rig such as, internal PCIe wireless lane I was able to get it running on PCIe 2.0 x16 which coincidently together with the cards switchable bios on the OC bios, allowed me to overclock higher.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  9. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    guys I think ManuelG is right.. reducing clocks by -50 on the card OR upping the voltage a bit is the fix without changing the drivers..

As far as I understood, I dont know if you remember the GTX 400 series but in my case when I was using gtx 460 with a rock hard stable OC without an issue, a new driver was released at that time and I installed it and it ruined my OC stability somehow.. then I needed to increase the voltage or reduce the OC.

the very same thing happens now ! new drivers not all of them ruin the card stability.. even if card is not OC ed. So in my case using 306.97 fix the issue for FARCRY 3 but not other games..

for example, Im using 310.70 whql right now and taking crashes in hitman if I dont reduce the card clocks -50 offset..

its a specific driver and specific game compatibility issue.. and nvidia has to fix it.

So, ManuelG s advice is working but his team has to fix it :) I mean we dont have to always reduce our card speeds or rise the voltage.

note: people who dont take crashes most likely they have good GPUs that can work at low voltages which doesnt annoy the new drivers.

10. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB

11. cps1974

cps1974 Active Member

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX770 4GB

thanks for the performance comparison chart!

im currently running gtx 670 phantom on my board at PCI-E 2.0 x8 rather than the x16 the card will support - I'd guess the difference is a few percent going by the GTX 680 chart (2 to 4%?) - is this running at x8 because I am having to use the 3rd PCI-E lane rather than the 1st or 2nd lane on my mobo? (the size of the 670 phantom cooling solution wouldnt allow my Asus Xonar D2X any other way) - should i create a new post for this question, apologies if I offend with posting my question here

ta
    cps

12. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    always install latest driver and up your min voltage to test, it works.

Because last drivers and games are really sensitive to slight changes in speed and voltage so iy may crash at low voltages or higher speeds of GPU.

Just test it, increase your voltage. I got mine to 1125 to minimum and it solves it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013