Far Cry 3 Crash makes no sense

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xtreme512, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    Far Cry 3 Crash *SOLVED*

Im having crashes to desktop in far cry 3 while gaming, while loading randomly and sometimes sound disappears :) weird issues.. its patched to 1.04.

anyways, my systems stability is full, done memtest86+ no errors and intel burntest at maximum 20 test again no errors. I even increase the stable voltage of cpu and ram a bit for to make sure that system is fully stable. (usually you just have to increase your voltage just a bit even it is already fulll stable).

according to them, reducing gpu clock will do the trick, i tried it and i think it works buy why ? why reduce the clocks even my gpu is not OCed ? :) its something that makes no sense at all...
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1337518/far-cry-3-crashing

by the way, I played crysis 2 and bf3 for hours at ultra full load and never had an issue.

*SOLVED*:

option 1) revert back to 306.97
    option 2) set power target to 80% and gpu mem offsets to -100 MHz

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  2. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    how hot can your card get while playing Far Cry3?

3. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    I think 80 degrees while im underclocking which is normal for a reference card.

but it is 83-85 degrees while im playing at full load and stock settings in other games.

4. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Well the voltage your card is getting is really just enough, not much leg room basically -couple that with very hot temps and the card will just give up at times. Far Cry 3 toasts GPUs no doubt about it -it's like running a benchmark at times.
    Think about an aftermarket cooler which would open up the door for a bios flash, or even just a basic thermal paste change, anything beyond 80C is performance degradation territory for a GPU. when the Keplers hit 70C they start to downclock -if you could keep yours below 70C it would stay full speed. (if you unlocked card with bios flash it would go faster).
    Sorry for hardware talk but if your Kepler is throttling then you really wanna deal with it.

5. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    yes I know the kepler and its OC thing but when you say that far cry 3 toasts GPUs same thing goes for the crysis 2 and I have no issue at all with that game, I get the same degrees and usage 99% all the time :). and why far cry 3 ? its weird

6. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    Different game engines are sometimes more susceptible to heat related issues.... how's the airflow in your case?

7. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    now that makes sense, if it is the case..

airflow is just enough and good 3 12 cm fans adjusted properly.. its a new 1 week build by the way :)

edit: fan speed also adjusted to full speed when the ambience is getting hot.. actually I planned and set every single thing in the system. I am a bit lets say "perfectionist" person heh :D

8. Nchinmay

Nchinmay Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G
    Got the correct drivers for your card? I have lots of random crashes before I installed the latest drivers. After updating the drivers the crashes disappeared.

9. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    310.70 WHQL is installed... are there any newer than that ?

10. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    well its not a heat related issue and I did everything like not using precision x while gaming and downclokickng both cpu gpu or upping voltages cpu and ram even though my system is stable. it comes out that its an driver issue. nvidia forums said that 306.97 is stable than the 310.70..

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...rashes-continuosly-306-97-whql-runs-great-/3/

ım gonna revert back to the 306.97 and see if it helps :) and wait for the new driver.

by the way, LET me clearify this thing that its not related with my hardwares....

ım saying that my system is stable because I upped the voltages my cpu and ram a bit even though they are stable and test the system with the intel burn test for 20 cycles at maximum ram. is it enough to say that my cpu and ram is stable ?

and also did memtest86+ but only 2 cycles without any erros because it takes so long to complete.. so I can say that I have no faulty hardware in my new build. of course my gpu is in a good situation too, it never failed with other games or benchmarks and its not OCed, so its stable too.

so what do you think guys ? do I have to do more tests ? but dont say me run this test for 12 hours :D :D ı would never do tests more than 50-60 minutes

11. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    Can we get ManuelG here ?

12. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Your card is running TOO hot. Insufficient cooling perhaps? Otherwise INCREASE your gpu fan speed from MSI Afterburner, for example.

My old GTX 580 idles at 41 & the HIGHEST temps I've seen were low to mid 70's. And that is when stress testing...

In gaming I get temps of 60-65 which is AMAZING...

13. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    my runs idle at 51 and farcry pushes it to 70-80

if I use afterburner to auto control the fan. it idles at 40 and highest temp is 65

I think if the fans on mine blew out the case instead of in. it probably be cooler.

14. Zhyr

Zhyr Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX770 SLI
    nVidia chips are designed to be able to run at 90 for extended periods of time... and not everyone lives in lovely warm London.

Some people's ambient temperature in winter is warmer than your summer temps... and we won't even mention the summer temps.

In saying that, up the fan speed earlier. It may help.
    My Farcry 3 crash is after you rescue the 2nd girl, escape in the Jeep, and then stops at the loading screen. No idea why.

15. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    Yeah it crash sometimes in the first loading too... Its not related with the heat issue. Gonna try 306.97.

16. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    I had where it crashed while playing

restarted game and it crashed while loading

I had to restart the pc to fix the problem

17. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    just finished a alot of stress test on cpu gpu and ram no errors whatsoever.. I can say that my system is 99% stable and there is no faulty hardware.

Im downloaded 306.97 right now and going to test it.. will post result soon. I hope its better than 310.70 as guys in the nvidia forums said.

@dsbig: well I dont know that if it makes a difference in my situation.

18. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    looking forward to hearing how 306.97 work for you. im on 310.70 and my cards hit 80c and i have no crashes except in MP. i solved that by running in DX9 or DX11 with "single gpu" selected in the CP.

19. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    running on 306.97 for 10 mins @ far cry 3 ultra 1080p and everything is fine like they said in nvidia forums.. no crashes yet..

really 310.70 s**ks, going to stick with 306.97 until new driver comes..

Note: the reason 310.** s**cks is that its suspectible to system overclock more than the other drivers as a guy said and reducing the gpu speeds even though its not OCed solves it but reducing speeds hurt performance, so go with the 306.97 and hope that nvidia solves this issue with a better driver soon..

I hope ManuelG and AndyB heard me :)

by the way, Im familiar with "suspectible for overclocks" thing because now I remembered that when I use gtx 460 long ago with the 900 mhz gpu clock speeds at that time new driver came out and it was reducing my speeds unlike the old driver I have used. so nvidia made the same mistake again.. it is not acceptable for me.

20. Donny_uk

Donny_uk Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 Classi 4095Mb
    Are you getting any stuttering with 306.97? I tried that driver version after reverting from 310.70 after uninstalling and using drive sweeper but I got crazy stuttering on Far Cry 3. No idea why! I reverted to check whether I could overclock further as I saw a few users mentioning that 310.70 has Oc limits.

By the way, what is the best way to check whether my VRAM is ok? I haven't seen any game use more than 1gb of VRAM and the benchmarks don't go over 1gb either. I'd like to test whether my full 4gb are working fine.

Thanks!