Far Cry 2/9800gx2 Drivers?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by mofo65, Oct 23, 2008.

1. usher

usher Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 superclocked
    I am using 178.13 & getting 60FPS, using XP32 tho

2. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    9800GX2 - 24" Dell 2408WFP
    Ive been looking forward to this game for ages but Im having problems now! I recently got a new computer and have been looking forward to testing it out but like I say its not going so good.

I got the latest drivers from the Nvidia website, 178.24, and the game can run fine for ages but then all of a sudden drops to around 5PS for no apparent reason?

Any ideas?

Im not interested in constantly changing drivers for minimal differences as I beleive my PC is good enough to run this game pretty much maxed out.

3. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    FC2 has major problems with the 9800GX2. I sold mine and got another 280 for my second rig. Im so sick of NV touting SLI and not supporting it properly.

E

4. usher

usher Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 superclocked
    No it doesn't, that's completely wrong & gives the impression that you can't play Farcry 2 with a 9800GX2 when nothing could be further from the truth.
    I read the benchmark that was done on this forum & began looking at new cards simply because of that whereas the truth is it works perfectly well as long as you don't use the latest driver which borks sli on several other cards as well.
    the game runs like lightening with my GX2 with everything on max 60fps+

5. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I didnt say you couldnt play it. Learn how to read. I said it has serious issues, which it does.

6. jimpsar

jimpsar Active Member

GPU:
    6900xt MERC 319 XFX
    I have ~30fps in 1920x1200 ultra high no AA :3eyes:

7. dsurbi

dsurbi New Member

GPU:
    XFX 9800gx2 Black Edition
    @usher...
    Do you play in DirectX 10? Wich Driver and Driver Properties in Control Panel do you use?

8. meds

meds Master Guru

GPU:
    now I can't even play this game at all. I have no ****ing clue what is going on but no driver seems to work with crysis for me.. :(

9. meds

meds Master Guru

GPU:
    With what ****ty resolution? 1280x1024 and the 180.42 drivers?

10. meds

meds Master Guru

GPU:
    FC2 definitely has issues with this graphics card for the moment with any driver I seem to throw at it installing and uninstalling drivers properly. At least I can play deadspace and maybe some more civilization 4 beyond the sword until a better driver or patch comes out.

11. usher

usher Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 superclocked

I did read your comment correctly & I also read the benchmark correctly as I said. I suppose I did snap at your remark because I think that just like the benchmark it does give the impression that the game won't run on a 9800GX2, as I recall the benchmark gave 5FPS or something similar & there was widespread panic amongst GX2 owners on various forums because of this.
    It's obvious that some are indeed having problems same as many did trying to play Crysis.
    I am not running it at high res because the monitor I am using is 1280X1024,other forums with GX2 owners report that higher res are no problem, just widescreen & a fix is on the net for this already
    I am using DX9 XP32, driver 178.13 which was already on my system, I steered clear of the 180 drivers
    The Farcry 2 benchmark gives me 60 -65 FPs with all setting on max ( no AA)

12. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I put on 178.13 (XP32) and while the overall fps is better, enabling AA still causes trouble and the FPS drops for no apparent reason after anywhere between 10 minutes to 1 hour of gameplay.

I stand by my comment, this game has serious issues with the 9800GX2. Mine is being picked up this evening and will be replaced with a 280 GTX. I had kept the 9800GX2 in my second box because in some cases it is faster than the 280 but the heat and the endless problems with SLI working properly have finally caused me to throw in the towel.

Im sick of all this "The way it's meant to be played" nonsense. SLI is too problematic, even years later, this is the 2nd game in as many months that has serious trouble with SLI and yet Nvidia still insists on touting it as the best solution.

I suppose it is is if you don't mind waiting serveral months to play a game most other gamers have finished while you wait for 100% stable and working drivers.

SLI 4TL IMHO.

It will be a long time before I use a multi GPU solution again.

E

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  13. weebeast

weebeast Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 9800GX2
    1680-1050 DX10 AA full 15-25 fps with a old driver i dont remember what it was:p

The heat isnt a problem your airflow isnt good:p

14. usher

usher Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 superclocked
    My GX2 never goes over 60c when playing games like Crysis, all down to good airflow, additional fans & rivatuner :banana:

15. weebeast

weebeast Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 9800GX2
    Lol is your GX2 fanspeed 100%? and in summer it doesnt past 60?

You got better airflow then me LOL

39 idle 55 degrees loaded in crysis,cod 4 now but in summer it reach 62 degrees

16. jimpsar

jimpsar Active Member

GPU:
    6900xt MERC 319 XFX
    I believe the game is not worth all this fuss, but I agree that is not so good optimized as I see the benchmarks regarding other much less powerful cards.
    (4630 faster than 9800gx2???!!!?). Crysis and Warhead are by far better.
    However using 180.43 & vista x64, I can finally get ~50fps in 1920x1200 AAx2 Ultra High --Except Shading & Shadows in Very High--.
    Doent matter, enjoying Dead Space atm.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  17. usher

usher Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 superclocked
    My PC is silent when browsing, I have 5 stepped fan profiles with Rivatuner, the highest is 90% & lowest is 43%,
    FC2 doesn't raise the temps as much as Crysis

I added two more fans to the side panel of my case, one is directly opposite the side vent of the GX2 & is sucking hot air out, another is positioned above which blows air in so it creates a circular airflow, added to that I have a CPU fan which blows hot air straight at the rear case fan so none of the hot air goes into the case, CPU max temp recorded is 45c.
    I do live in UK so summer temps won't be like parts of USA

18. Foreword

Foreword Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 OC SLI
    Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1680x1050 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(None), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Custom), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)

Average Framerate: 36,95
    Max. Framerate: 60,16
    Min. Framerate: 24,44

SLI enabled.

Nvidia drivers for FC2 isn't good for dual GPU's. Wait for WHQL Drivers.

19. Thyrifing

Thyrifing Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970
    its working fine for me, everything on max, including AA and 1400x1050. never under 40fps

20. cole2109

cole2109 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080TI
    Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1680x1050 (60Hz), D3D9, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(4x), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Optimal), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)

-Average Framerate: 42,97
    -Max. Framerate: 67,45
    -Min. Framerate: 26,17