Fan speed wideness

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Nuke, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Nuke

Nuke Member

GPU:
    Zotac GeForce 9600GT 512M
    I got Zotac 9600GT Synergy Edition.
    The problem is that changing fan speed value in Afterburner is impossible bellow a 40%.
    But it is possible in RivaTuner.

So please fix it in Afterburner. Thanks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  2. Nuke

Nuke Member

GPU:
    hello?

3. msi-afterburner

msi-afterburner Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    The minimum fan speed is controlled by BIOS. Even you want to set the lower fan speed, it will not work. Just looks like 25% but still works at 40%.

4. Nuke

Nuke Member

GPU:
    I could clearly hear the difference in noise with every 1% from 25% to 40% when using RivaTuner

5. Sutura

Sutura Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GT210 0.5/1680x1050
    Nuke, the support-guy is right. I had until yesterday a Galaxy 9800GT and Msi afterburner didn't allow me to lower the speed less than 30% - which is the BIOS setting. It's not possible on a stock fan to do that, no matter what RivaTuner says.

6. Nuke

Nuke Member

GPU:
    What is reason for me lie to you?
    I have ears and eyes, and I tell you - the cooler on my video card is a bit noisy at 40%, acceptable in 35%, normal at 30% and silent at 28%.
    GPUz also shows 40% while in rivatuner setting is less.

Here's proof that the speed is different between 25% and 38% - the temperature decreased slightly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Nuke

Nuke Member

GPU:
    Still no changes in new 2.1
    By the way, rivatuner can not set values lower than 40 from the driver settings, but can through low-level settings.

8. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    Stop being abusive to peeps helping you !

Ok here is my advise !

Some GPU's let you lower the fan as much as you like because they are controlled by software, like my older Nvidia 6000/7000/8000 series GPU's.

Now I cannot comment on your GPU but for the newer Nvidia 200/400/500 series GPU's they were controlled by the Bios so you need to mod the Bios to lower more than default in software allows you.

If you try to do it without Bios mod even though EVGA Precision/MSI Afterburner say its lower in actual % you can see the actual RPM is exact same i.e. 1500rpm stays 1500rpm !