Fan profiles disappearing!

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by James01, Apr 17, 2008.

1. James01

James01 Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTX @ 621/1566/972Mhz
    I believe I mentioned this several weeks ago, when 2.07 was released. It's still happening. Since then, both my HDD and graphics card have been replaced. It's a fresh Windows install with the latest drivers and RivaTuner version. No previous RivaTuner or driver versions have been installed on this Windows install.

Seemingly randomly, I'll get a popup from RivaTuner saying something along the lines of "fan profile not found". When I go to check, all my fan profiles have vanished, so obviously my thresholds no longer work.

I'm running Vista 32 bit, RivaTuner 2.08, and ForceWare 174.74 (it happened with earlier drivers as well). Vista's UAC is turned off, and I'm an administrator. I have had both a standard MSI 8800GTX and a factory OC MSI 8800GTX in the time this has been happening.

Hope someone can shed some light on what's going on. :)

EDIT: It just happened again. Here's a screenshot of the exact message:
    http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/3535/capturekx4.jpg

And the follow up message if I click "yes""
    http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/1619/65019065un5.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  2. pxmm

pxmm Member

GPU:
    AMD 280X
    Mine does this occasionally too, sometimes it says there's no fan profiles when there are so when I click yes they're there. Other times the profiles have actually disappeared so I just recreate them.

I run Vista x64 with UAC in silent mode (auto elevates)

3. James01

James01 Member

GPU:
    So I'm not alone at least! I really hope there's a fix for this. It gets quite annoying as you can imagine.

4. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Check your settings, Rt is telling you that you've made settings that conflict. Start over.

5. James01

James01 Member

GPU:
    What settings? These are my scheduler settings:

60% - 10-69C
    80% - 70-76C
    100% - 77-100C

I can't see anything wrong with that.

EDIT: And I assume doing a clean Windows install counts as "starting over"?

6. orgnlprankster7

orgnlprankster7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTS 512
    im getting the same error, every once in a while when i start a game the error message will pop up in the background and i don't see it until my game crashes because the card overheated. also running vista 64 sp1, with UAC off. i read the Riva tuner guide and im 100% sure everything is setup correctly so im not sure what is causing it.

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Yep, I'm also getting the same error, but only in Vista32. Got tired of it so I exported RT's reg settings under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unwinder\RivaTuner so if it happens I just merge the reg file and the fan settings/profiles reappear and work fine.

8. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Starting over means deleting all launcher/scheduler items and starting over. Also, give yourself 2 deg between changes and see if that's it.

9. James01

James01 Member

GPU:
    Thanks, I'll try that. Not holding my breath though.

(I did 1C differences because that's what the Vaguesoft guide suggested by the way)

10. James01

James01 Member

GPU:
    OK, I tried what you suggested boogieman. Re-created everything, and had 2C differences between scheduler items.

My fan profiles just vanished again :(

It seems to happen primarily when I'm gaming (when there would be a lot of profile switching and threshold triggering).

Here's something else I just noticed. Low-level fan control is actually disabled after this happens. Don't know if that helps.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008

11. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    I don't have Vista. Suggest you read through RT's documentaion. Key word search "Vista".

12. James01

James01 Member

GPU:
    I really don't know what to make from that. Are you suggesting I set that registry entry to 1?

"By default NVAPI fan control interfaces are used under Vista or under 167.xx and newer drivers only, however Windows XP owners can also force RivaTuner to use Vista specific fan control interfaces with older driver versions if needed by setting NVAPIUsageBehaviour registry entry to 1."

That may as well be french to me.

EDIT: It's happened 3 times today, this is really starting to get annoying :bang:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  13. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    started getting this today originally my fan profiles was driver level but i had to remake them under lowlevel tab. but its still happening also noticed some of my speed profiles eg 100% have changed to 30% fan speed. my setups been working fine since 2.08 came out and before then

Update: looks like all my fan profiles are screwed wasnt able to set a fan profile to 50% kept chaning to 35% even when i was able to save it at 50% it decided to drop down to 40%

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  14. Louike

Louike Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 1gb
    Yeah i think this is nvidia's fault...

15. Dospac

Dospac Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 3870X2 512MBx2
    This happened to me before, the active/primary GPU on my 3870X2 inexplicably switched and wiped out the fan profiles. Deleting them and re-creating the profiles worked, but now I still am noticing an additional problem. RT seems to be randomly switching which GPU loads as the primary and which as the secondary(The first and second in the dropdown box). This may not be the fault of RT, but the way in which it isn't able to keep track of this switching(caused by system or ati driver?) is indeed a problem.

The problem is the fan is controlled by only one GPU, the second GPU sensor lists what I assume are false/dummy readings.

So, whereas before my temp control was operating normally before, just tonight I now notice this:

I have one GPU pegged at 72C, 23% fan speed(presumably the default auto%?), and the 'fake' 2ndary GPU is what RT is controlling. The fan speeds in the hw monitor for this 'fake' GPU sensor are changing per my rules, but the fan on the board isn't changing speeds. To make things worse, this first GPU(it's positioned physically at the end of the card and receives better cooling from the card's heatsink) normally idles at the target temp of my fan control profiles, so the only way for me to tell is to go into RT and switch gpu's and check the hw monitor.

Intended behavior here is for RT to detect the correct GPU for the card whos temperature the fan control is based on and monitor that.

OR we need a workaround or fix to keep the GPU order in RT from switching inexplicably.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008

16. Dospac

Dospac Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 3870X2 512MBx2
    My fan profiles ceased working again and corrupted, it happened just after bootup, the hardware sensors weren't working for the card in RT at the time and then the profile errors began. This is possibly because I checked the "apply fan settings at startup" box and chose a profile before rebooting last. Will test more and see if I can reproduce that..

17. James01

James01 Member

GPU:
    Well, It hasn't happened again since I installed 2.09. Could be a coincidence though.

Hopefully it will stay this way!

18. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

I'd say that it's just a coincidence. There are no internal fan profiles related changes in 2.09 at all. The only thing that potentially could indirectly affect it is a set of synchronization protocols added in 2.09 and aimed to prevent multiple tweaking tools from conflicting in case of simultaneous usage. But in this case you must have something else hardware monitoring related besides RT installed in your system.