Fan control on the 6800's!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Saeid, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Connect3D X800 PCI-Express 256MB
    Ok from what i know based on the 5800 that was haulted... the fan would automatically increase RPM when the GPU heats up, and decrease in idle mode! Correct? Just like a CPU fan and motherboard fan... they have sensors that monitor the temps!

Well from the impression im getting based on the 6800 vanilla's and/or the GT and ULTRA's, is that the fans are not automatically controlled...

Take Leadtek for example, the fan on all three GPU's (NU/GT/Ultra) run at a stead RPM. MSI has a FAN control on the side of the card... which is kind of MANUAL... if the card heats up u gotta open ur computer case and increase the RPM of the fan... not very useful!

My question is... are all the 6800's from different manufacturer's (Leadtek/MSI/Gigabyte/eVGA/XFX/BFG/etc)... like that, or are there some out there that automatically monitor the temp of the GPU?

I heard that the MSI 6800 Ultra, whistle's while ur booting up windows (as in the fan makes a high pitched noise) and then it goes quite. So i get the impression that the MSI ultra card does get monitored since it increases while boot up?!?!

Thnx! ;)

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    i know with my card i can't adjust anything, and i never hear it getting faster or slower, but the cooling if rather well.

3. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Connect3D X800 PCI-Express 256MB
    its not that i want to hear the card getting louder or running faster...
    Its that i will feel more comfortable knowing that the card can monitor and automatically adjust the RPM of the fan accordingly... rather than just running steady when the card is at its maximum load!

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    what i ment by hearing it get louder or softer, was that i don't hear it changing to the temp of the GPU.

5. JulienD

JulienD Member

GPU:
    eVGA 6800NU
    fan speed on my eVGA is controllable and dynamic. there was a thread here a few days back about a tool to control it. search for EXPERtool. I think it's by chaintech maybe? anyhoo, u can use it to control fanspeeds on pretty much any 6800 card and overclock also.

J.