Falsely Advertised Core Clock Speeds?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by wafflezfire, May 25, 2008.

1. wafflezfire

wafflezfire Active Member

GPU:
    Diamond Radeon 5850
    I downloaded RivaTuner v2.09 to check if my graphics card is overheated. Well, it's perfectly fine when comparing to the temperatures other people get. Anyway, so I checked the core clock speed, and RivaTuner reports it is at 632.57 mhz. Now, on the box it says that the core clock speed was 640mhz.

If I overclock it to 640mhz and it becomes dysfunctional, will I be able to receive a new one from the warranty? And is there a considerable difference between the current clock speed and 640mhz, 650mhz, 660mhz, 670mhz?

2. surrealX

surrealX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Nothing is always entirely perfect. They try to get up to 640 but 632 is still good. You could OC it and test it out. If the card does die on you, you could send it back and they'll send you a replacement card.

3. TurboPenguin

TurboPenguin Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX480 SC
    You could ask XFX about that, but my bet is they are going to have some BS answer for you as to why it does not run at 640MHz... XFX's customer service is shady like that...

4. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    No, it's probably set to 640.
    It comes in steps. For an example, my shader clock is set to 1826, but it shows as 1836.

5. wafflezfire

wafflezfire Active Member

GPU:
    Diamond Radeon 5850
    GPU-Z reports it's at 640mhz. So now, I'm really confused, but as long as I can play my games nicely and smoothly(Crysis demo at 1680x1050 High settings, no AA is at 25-45 fps;it's playable for me) I'm happy.

Anyway, would there be a good FPS increase if I overclock to maybe, 670mhz core clock?

6. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    Not much. It would represent roughly a 6% speed increase. You might notice it, you might not. Personally, I wouldn't bother for such a minimal overclocking. I prefer to keep my video card in good shape... it likes to overheat :). By the way, you should start looking at the GPU temperature and get an idea of its idle and under load values before overclocking.

Welcome to the Guru3D forums! :D

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  7. Lethal Abz

Lethal Abz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    i dont see how 6mhz will make a big difference to you! Call them and ask about it if your really worried about 6mhz

8. RandomUserName

RandomUserName Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 8800GT 720/1740/950
    yeah my gpu-z and rivatuner show different speeds in different places, too.

gpu-z shows as i have it set, rivatuner also on the sliders, but a look at the hardware monitoring graphs in 'tuner shows a 678.86 core clock rather then a 680, and a 1674 shader clock rather then a 1700. also a 950.40 memory clock rather then the 950 its set at.

small (very small, even) differences but inaccurate nonetheless. i figure some might have more or less...

so far as overclocking...well i think your card already came overclocked so idk how much further you want to push it. perhaps check around and see where others have their XFX 8800GT cards safely clocked to, and stable. better yet next time get a regular clocked card and overclock it to the same specs as the "overclocked" version of the factory overclock card. you save money and feel like you're doing something, too :p

thats what i did. same hardware so i feared not. then i pushed the core 30mhz further. i did the initial overclocking all at once, too. no increments. set it and forget it....

ok ok first i pushed the core up by only 30mhz the first week. but then i took it up another 100mhz and the memory 150 (300 effective) all at once. i might not recommend doing that, however...

oh, and if you registered your card as another poster pointed out, i'm pretty sure XFX covers you for overclocking. so knock yourself out. if you see artifacting and such just dial it down some, rinse, repeat, etc....

Last edited: May 26, 2008