Fallout 4 Performance Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RexOmnipotentus, Nov 9, 2015.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Probably because you have a more than capable PC :)

2. fr33jack

fr33jack Maha Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @JonMS,
    first of all, could you pls set your pictures to something like medium thumbnails or so? Or "spoiler" them at least. You f@cked up page layout for people who reads this page. I won't be even mentioning forum rules on this (ops, I just did) :p And second, you do realize that forcing 2x adaptive MSAA in CCC does nothing in dx11 games which don't have build-in hardware MSAA support, right? ;)

3. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon VII 16 GB
    Cann't this be adressed/redirected at a driverlevel? Offcourse it would be a hell of a job sometimes.

It's allmost unbeleavable when seeing the beautiful The Talos Principle in action running smooth as glass @5K on CF Fury in contrast.

As far as CF is conserned; I tried some other profiles, but only AFR scales quite a bit, but with errors ( SSAO artefacts and HDR).

One thing to note is Boris is working on an enb mod for the game, so lets hope besides a working CF-profile, for many mods :)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  4. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    every game is going to be different, each has its own workload idiosyncrasies.

to some extent, yes, but you can only do so much to mitigate any hardware deficiencies.

It was just the road they chose. AMD tends to be more forward thinking, its architectural choices will pay dividends when DX12 becomes mainstream.

CF is a different animal.....

There are already some reshade/sweetfx mods

5. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
  6. guerrilla

guerrilla New Member

GPU:
    Crossfire Sapphire HD6870
    Fallout 4 HD6870 crossfire

Hey Guys,

Could someone help me out with some advice here.

I have 2 x HD6870 with crossfire bridge.

I realise my cards are very old but they play all my games great so I don't really want to upgrade just yet.

Inside a vault I can run at 1080p but as soon as I step outside it drops under 5fps.

I dropped the res to 720p and then in a vault it will run everything at ultra at steady 60fps which although not clear is playable for me and looks OK.

Soon as I step outside the vault though I get same issue and fps drops so much it is unplayable.

Right now I am running on low settings at 720p and I still get random freezes and slow downs when above ground, then soon as I am inside somewhere I am at max fps.

I tried running crossfire in all different modes but game refuses to start with it enabled. I tried using the skyrim profile but the second GPU has a little bit of activity when game is loading but then goes to 0.

I have been reading through various threads but everyone is mainly talking about 970s or 390s etc..

Can anyone help me get this game playable on my old cards?

7. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    What settings do you have?No Ultra,because Gameworks.
    If you put all on Medium,no God Rays,1080p,its ok?
    Crossfire & SLI not working,officially.

8. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega64 Nit
    Thanks for the tip. It helps a lot.

9. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    According to the system requirements a HD 6870 is simply to weak. You need a HD 7870 with 2GB of Vram to play this game.

CrossFire might make the game playable for you, if both of your cards have 2GB of Vram.

10. Ipak

Ipak New Member

GPU:
    2x290@1050/1500
    I bet it's not enough vram for fullhd ultra settings

11. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V64 LC
    For me 15.10 is much better than 15.11. With 15.10 I have a few fps more. No shuttering, may be because FreeSync is working (with 15.11 not). 54-75 fps when running to VAULT in intro. (75 is set as maximum in Catalyst.)

12. dasa2

dasa2 Member

GPU:
    XFX 290@1200 MCW60
  13. Rambo

Rambo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 560 w8 4 Vega 56
    @dasa2, dude, pclab is not faithfully. Jizz them lie as hell. One of my friends (from Poland) sent me their bench when 750Ti was better in overall than R9 270X, though even 7850 beat this GPU. You have no any better IT portal?

14. dasa2

dasa2 Member

GPU:
    XFX 290@1200 MCW60
    they show fury x winning at higher res and loosening in a cpu limited test i think thats in line with what others have shown so far
    considering there running a driver nvidia has released that apparently improves there fallout 4 performance by ~25% and amd still has yet to release anything tweaked for fallout 4 i think amd is doing fairly well at 4k in there review

they sometimes show in a review how amd can lose in one level but win in another
    i rather like there tests as they are one of the few review sites that take the time to find cpu\gpu limited parts of a game instead of just running a timedemo from a section of the game thats on rails or a built in benchmark

it will be interesting to see how amd can tweak there drivers and how long it will take

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  15. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    @PR and not "blinded" minds around...

I always found funny when someone has his mind "blinded" by his own decision and try to convince everybody that there is point black everywhere when the fact is he has folded his eyes himself.

It's like the emperor when nobody wants to say he is nude.

:)

When cold facts demonstrates AMD DX11API overhead sh*t performance he calls it bs and name it "less efficient at serialized work load".

Well there is an easy solution for this:

Ask 3DMark to rename his "API overhead test" as "serialized efficience test" and call it a day!

:D

16. DayGlow

DayGlow Member

GPU:
    X2 Winforce R9 290x
    I'm running 15.10 drivers and CF works fine. Just have to make sure full screen is turned on in the .ini

With 290x CF I gave a solid 60fps at 1080p. (frame rate capped)

If I turn down shadows and God rays to high I get around 40fps in eyefinity. Now just need a fix for the horribly stretched HUD.

17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    These numbers look very very wrong to me. I can get AMD being slower than NVIDIA in this game, but I bet that the Fury X somehow doesn't get 33 fps at 1080p. I've heard other people calling this site crap, multiple times.

On Hilbert's test the Fur X seems to be getting triple the performance of what the Polish website is saying. It's still behind the 980Ti by a wide margin, but it's not struggling along with the 7970 at 1080p...
    [​IMG]

18. OneB1t

OneB1t Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290X@R9 390X 1050/1325
    CPU bottleneck

19. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Do you have a shot of this CPU bottleneck (any core)?

Like in AB monitoring graph of CPU cores.

I bet there is no CPU core maxed and no GPU maxed.

That lead us to the very possible "driver bottleneck" commonly know as "AMD DX11 API overhead driver bad efficiency" or rarely reffered as "AMD GPU less efficient at serialized work load".

:D

20. dasa2

dasa2 Member

GPU:
    XFX 290@1200 MCW60
    it depends on the part of the game tested some parts are heavier on the cpu\gpu than others
    the pclab review linked above tests different parts of the game in one of there tests the fury x gets much closer to 90fps just like the one you linked
    [​IMG]
    you cant compare different reviews when they are not testing the exact same part of the game