Fallout 4 Performance Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RexOmnipotentus, Nov 9, 2015.

1. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    No prob bro, i did worst myself with AB and CFX before, nobody is perfect and 100% right all the time.

:)

This is the new AMD drivers policy:

Before: They used to advice users to disable CFX in case of bad CFX performance.

Now: They label it "improved and optimised" and silently disable the CFX and call it a day!

Simple remember as a rule of thumb: Don't rely on the AMD drivers changelog when they said a generic "improved and optimised", you are using CFX.

2. DavidGX

DavidGX Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Fury X
    I can't wait until I get my Fury X. I'm pretty much done dealing with Crossfire. Too much trouble.

3. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    It may be too much trouble sometimes, but no single card can match the performance of two r9 290s.

A fury X would be a downgrade for me in games that support CrossFireX. However, it's a nice upgrade for two hd 7950. Same/better performance without CrossFire problems.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  4. DavidGX

DavidGX Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Fury X
    Yeah, I have two 7970s so I think it would be a good buy. Maybe in the future when/if games start supporting the multi-GPU features of DirectX12 I'd try CF again.

5. nexxusting

nexxusting Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980 SC /w EK-FCGTX980
    Just an FYI we probably wont see any fix for low fps in cities anytime soon.

It's linked to draw calls. Boris "ENB Boris" mentioned up to 12,000 draw calls in one direction at times, as we know DX11 cannot handle that. Ugh.... DX12 FTL right now. So weak.

I wonder how hard just updating the API would be? From what I can tell this will fix ALL performance issues and allow some insane amount of modding to go on.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  6. Spartan

Spartan Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Ain't gonna happen.

7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It's most likely just a lower maximum tessellation level.

8. db87

db87 Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 1070 @ 2025
    Bethesda is to blame for the lack of multi-gpu support. Their game engine is a pile of junk.

9. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    It's a know fact that CFX doesn't work properly due to Bethesda but at least in 15.11 the driver default CFX profile provided some kind of CFX usage.

New 15.11.1 CFX profile for Fallout 4 is simply CFX turned off and this is not Bethesda fault.

10. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Turned off because some users have their systems unstable or something.
    Its not disabled because of Amd.Nvidia still dont have SLI enabled,even in ACS.

11. sammarbella

sammarbella Ancient Guru

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Obviously they know there is a problem caused by Bethesda bad multi-GPU support (or none) and they disable it in driver 15.11.1.

I think you are righ and that's the reason but....

....Why it's named in 15.11.1 changelog under a generic "Performance Optimizations" and no word about the disabled CFX is included in the "Know issues" section as it use to be in case of CFX problems?:

It could be a new improved PR technique in regard of CFX performance.

After "disable it" in "know issues", now "hidden it" under "default" instead of the real "off".

:D

12. someonelikeyou

someonelikeyou Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R7 260x
    The game is almost unplayable for me, drops from 60 to 30, fluctuations from 27 to 35 all the time in the city which completely ruins immersion, nothing in the settings solved it, literally tried all the so called performance fixes, low settings and ultra settings are pretty much the same thing, setting tesselation to 4x, disabling godrays, setting the number of cores manually in the .ini, ENBoost, latest AMD driver, nothing works.

What the **** was bethesda thinking when they released this? I can play pretty much all games on high at 60 fps, including the newest battlefront in the biggest map at 60fps but not this last-gen looking game, what a joke.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  13. RexOmnipotentus

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Shadow distance is set to medium?

14. someonelikeyou

someonelikeyou Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R7 260x
    Yeah, shadow distance seems to be fDirShadowDistance and fShadowDistance in the .ini, medium is 3000.0000, I even changed it to 2500.0000 but didn't notice any improvements.

15. Zweite93

Zweite93 Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 290X Core Edition
    Overclocking your ram can improve fps in cpu heavy areas of the game.

16. RexOmnipotentus

GPU:
    Vega 64
    The game may look last-gen, but it surely isn't. The distance view and the amount of objects on the screen (alot of trees with alot of branches, brushes, barrels, buildings etc.) is nothing a last gen game would have had. Ever since the Xbox One and the PS4 got released the games did get a much better view distance and did have alot more stuff going on on the screen.

People tend to only look at how objects and everything in the world looks, but often forget that more objects on the screen means that you also need alot more rendering power. Did you see the amount of trees you can see and how far you can see them? There is really much stuff going on on the screen.

I don't mean to say that this game is perfectly optimized and that the performance couldn't be better. I just want to say, don't let the last gen look of the objects and textures fool you. ;)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  17. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Member

GPU:
    Giga GTX 980Ti Xtreeeme
    Yeah I agree Rex, once I got the enhanced Reshade to reduce the brightness, I think the game, for the most part, looks amazing. Yes there are definitely some low res/detail textures in there, and the actor detail is not so great, but still, to me, it looks great and totally immersive. Even at 1440p with the Crysis 3 CF profile I've had to use!

And yeah if it could be optimised to work worth CF properly, to allow 2160p, it will be the icing on the cake!

18. RexOmnipotentus

GPU:
    Vega 64
    These kinda games really can benifit from 4K. There is alot of stuff and especially the stuff in the distance is so much sharper. I can only recommend using AFR-friendly mode with my brightness fix. Sure, you character might have a black face (i use a gas mask :p) and you may have some flickering (really not that much), but in return you get 4K image quality. Really worth it! But maybe it's just me. :p

19. AMDFreeSync

AMDFreeSync Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB
    The reason why it's lock @ 35fps because Fallout 4 do not like you using custom res. if your monitor is non 16:9 & try to use custom res, the game will lock @ 25fps or 30fps or even 35fps. hope they patch it.

20. Sharoth

Sharoth Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RTX 2080 OC
    Do you really get 4k image quality when the textures are not even 1080p?