1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fallout 4 - Part 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Jul 26, 2016.

1. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    @dsbig I did not know about that weapon debris stuff. Even on Maxwell and Pascal I'm pretty sure that option being on was causing me trouble. Anyway, I'm long done with this game

@AsiJu I certainly had more crashes with the HD texture pack. On both my old 980Ti and my current 1080Ti. I could literally load right before a crash, reproduce it several times with the HD pack installed, uninstall the HD pack and have that same load not crash. I ended up using a bunch of packaged texture mods from the NEXUS with the NEXUS mod manager and I was able to get through the end of the base game and all the DLC's with few issues. Oh, and the weirdest thing about having the HD pack installed was that after the camera did its VATS zoom thing in combat, 50% of the time the game would go down to 1 FPS and be stuck there until I quit. Changing video options didn't help, FPS caps on/off, Vsync on/off in the game .ini, reloading without quitting. Nothing would solve it other than quitting and loading fresh. It was super odd, never figured it out but was 100% down to the HD pack since it *never* happened in vanilla or with texture mods.

Also, if you don't care so much about graphics and want a good story, give Fallout 3 and New Vegas a look. I had way more fun in the Fallout universe of 3 and NV than I did in 4. :)

AsiJu likes this.
  2. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    4 was barely any role to play and really there were only like 2.5 endings period most of them were copy paste and have someone else read the lines.

If the shooting was not ID or whoever improved, and the map was decent, so it was an ok looter shooter.

But an RPG it was not this it todd howards vision of RPG. The man who always wanted to make action games, and bethesdas titles have gotten more action and less RPG every iteration since morrowwind.

a 6 game with the CC. breaks script extnender for NO good reason, CC is a pile of trash half baked lazy mods with out a select few exceptions, but there are free alternatives that either are almost as good or better than the pay ones on CC. no roles,, no depth, no decent story.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Yeah Nexus is brimming with mods so have quite a bit to try out, gfx and otherwise. Now that the game seems to be stableish.

Read CC was a lazy attempt to monetize mods and a potential source for crashes too. Many fixes involved deleting all CC related files from Data which I did too to be sure.
    No idea how any cc files even got there...

Vivid Fallout AIO was nice but it seemed to only improve ground textures outside, leaving objects and buildings untouched.
    So I disabled it until I find complementing other texture mods, the gap in texture quality was immersion breaking (which was why I thought about HD textures as an option).

Also it seems having Gsync and Vsync On in NVCPL will actually uncap the framerate.
    Needless to say a vast improvement over 60 fps cap but dialogue breaks for example (timing and animations don't match).

If I set Vsync to app controlled then the game has capped fps again but monitor keeps 144 Hz refresh causing pretty nasty motion judder.

I'll likely switch to fixed refresh next time and either use 60 or slightly higher cap if possible.

@cerebus23

Yeh I'm thinking of this as a single player story driven open world looter shooter more than an actual RPG and enjoying it so far as such.

Even without being a Fallout fan before I see what the criticism about dumbing down choices and dialogue was about.
    Already talking to Codsworth after getting out of the Vault was a weird one where the reply I got was clearly written as a response to the most likely dialogue choice, instead of the one I chose.

Factions and base building apparently don't matter that much either but fine by me as I don't intend to invest time in either really.
    Just loot and shoot stuff!

Although I will use base building mode to scrap stuff for materials to use in crafting...
    see, not just a hat holder *points to head* :p

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    fantaskarsef and cerebus23 like this.
  4. Celcius

Celcius Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 380X
    From a performance standpoint, this game is a mess. I can't think of another game I've played that has anything remotely close to having as many issues. I played this at a friend's place on an old system with just 6Gb of DDR2 system memory and a 2Gb R7 260X, a combination that doesn't even meet the minimums, and as long as one avoided downtown Boston, it was "sorta playable" at 1080p. At the other end of the spectrum, I've seen a i5 7600K system, with a GTX 980Ti, have an absolute heart attack around Faneuil Hall, and in the lobby of some Gunner-controlled downtown high-rise whose name I can't recall. I don't know if Bethesda's Creation game engine utilizes anything akin to Unreal's anti-portals, but, if it doesn't, it desperately needs them. If it does, somebody didn't do a competent job optimizing downtown Beantown. I haven't touched Fallout 76; I hope it's better, but I get the impression it isn't.

While I know it's been the norm to beat on Bethesda as to how this game turned out, and I certainly have a few gripes of my own, I actually do think Fallout 4 does too many things well to dismiss it completely. (Here I'll admit to having an embarrassing amount of hours invested in this game. I'll probably wish I had all of that time back at some point, but I suppose that can be said for a lot of indulgences.)

What I did quite sometime ago was to start a new game, loot every single thing that wasn't nailed down in Vault 111, and just before reaching the elevator to leave, save the game. I then could always revisit that same save, proceed to the point where one can change your name, appearance, and SPECIAL distribution, and then try something different as a totally new character, perhaps with a new set of mods in use, and/or emphasizing a new collection of perks.

The very beginning of each of these new playthroughs are always the most exhilarating for me. When you are this very fragile individual with almost nothing in terms of weapons or apparel to protect yourself. My latest excursion was to exit the Vault, immediately push North, and then East all the way to the Atlantic as a Level 1. Made it to Mahkra Fish Processing without dying, although I came pretty close. Looting the Raider corpses outside Mahkra, and then selling some items at the trader South of Coastal Cottage, I was feeling pretty good about things. As you might guess, that feeling didn't last too much longer.

It's all the scripted events that trigger this or that quest that make this game feel more "rail-like" than I would prefer. For example, I've been avoiding the Museum of Freedom in Concord in playthroughs for the last year or so. I've almost forgotten what Preston looks like. Nor have I felt the need to ever return to Sanctuary; there isn't anything for me there. (Save, perhaps, for that S.P.E.C.I.A.L. book in Shaun's room.) I get the fact that the developer's feel the need to nudge one along to tell their story, but I'd much rather randomly stumble into fragments of this story, and then try and piece it together on my own. Having said that, I don't envy the task of trying to tie all the possible permutations of any RPG, or even RPG-like, production into some reasonably coherent package.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    I see what you mean, just getting started and I'm at the point where you are 'supposed' to reunite with Preston in Sanctuary, probably so the game can teach you about base building and nudge you along, but I've rather mucked about in the switchyard and Red Rocket Stop.

6. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Well said, on all counts. I had the same experience as you, using a Q6600@3.4GHz with 6Gb of DDR2@1066MHz and a 6970 that was also OC'd and it played fine at 1080p with medium settings. None of the extra stuff like APEX of course, and Godrays disabled. Then decided to play it on my (at the time) 4670k@4.2GHz with a 980Ti@1450MHz and I was blown away at how much trouble the game gave me.

Dozens of hours of troubleshooting and tweaking later, I just decided to put up with the lackluster performance and get through the story. I did have some enjoyable hours, but having played all Fallout games since the first, I just felt that Fallout 4 could have been so much more.

All of the stuff you mention about new playthroughs and different paths is exactly how I felt in Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I played enough to get every outcome in both of those games and enjoyed almost every minute of it. Not so much in Fallout 4, where it was more of a drudge that I had to push through. I won't spoil anything here, but the House path in New Vegas ended up being my favorite even though I thought I had it all figured out and it would be boring. :)

7. Celcius

Celcius Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 380X
    If you've completed the Tenpines Bluff quest, my advice would be to go back to Sanctuary, report to Garvey and collect your XP. It's really only after Tenpines Bluff that Garvey presses you to join the Minutemen, but you can refuse his offer without any negative ramifications, and that "door" will still remain open if you change your mind, later. My gripe with the Minutemen path is that you're not only tasked with being the Commonwealth's resident troubleshooter, but you also wind up on the hook for improving, and defending, over two dozen settlements. If that sounds like a drag, then even when you're freelancing, free from any faction ties, I'd still skirt clear around any obvious settlements as you'll still be solicited by the residents to undertake a quest that will, upon completion, leave you responsible for that settlement's needs and safety. But, if you have the itch to get your hands dirty with settlement building, and most importantly, the time and patience to chase down the raw materials you'll need, that's cool, too. It's one way to rack-up a lot of XP pretty quickly.

I generally take on the Red Rocket outside of Sanctuary, Tenpines Bluff and Abernathy Farm as settlements and then I'm done. The truth of the matter is that some of the settlements are a real chore to do much with, and some of the settlers, (Greentop Nursery comes to mind), aren't too invested in their own self-preservation and simply choose to wander around and act stupidly. As MXR on YouTube is fond of pointing out, that's not immersive.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I would just like to say Preston Garvey is one of the most annoying characters ever.

That is all.

cerebus23 likes this.
  9. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    The whole settlements-related fluff in the game is (I guess) meant to be artificial fluff for endgame (just like Skyrim's "infinite" quests). It adds nothing but chores, but the game can say that it has content. What displeased me the most about F4 was how watered down it was (even compared to Skyrim).

I get it, Todd doesn't want to do RPGs, but then why bother with an IP associated with RPGs? F3 had (and has) issues, but even back then I've felt that you can make a good Fallout game in 3D and in first person (as opposed to the 2 isometric originals - Tactics doesn't count) and New Vegas cemented that feeling for me. F4 was just a bland (but ok) shooter with a forgettable story and characters. The RPG mechanics were mostly thrown out, dialogues were overly simplified (most of the choices are the same), you couldn't really roleplay a different character, most of the points systems were taken out as well, leaving only S.P.E.CI.A.L. intact (but again watered down), and the perks were just kinda there, being simple.

I find it funny how it sometimes seems that Bethesda is really enamoured with the "Vault Boy" art-style and silly 50s space age doodads of the series (look how more and more prevalent they got with each new instalment by Bethesda), but it feels all the more soulless - like a theme park.

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Thanks for the tips, yeah I won't bother with settlements for now as it indeed looks like busywork.

I'll spend that time exploring and crafting stuff instead. Especially as the world is ripe with things to find, seems there's something around every corner.

Edit: did the Tenpines Bluff quest and well.. the game certainly took a turn towards action. At times I wasn't sure if I was playing Fallout or Rage, heh.

Not that I mind, shooting is quite fun and solid and being the over-leveler that I am in RPGs not too much bullet-sponginess either, yet (and it's fine as stats determine weapon effectiveness).

Next step: find more 10 mm and shotgun ammo...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019

11. Celcius

Celcius Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 380X
    If you have the double-barrel shotgun, (and starting out, it's likely you do), get the longer barrels on that ASAP.

You'll probably accrue as much or more .38 ammunition than most anything else, especially early on. In the vanilla game, the only weapons that use the .38 round are the various "pipe" guns. Some players seem to ignore the pipe weapons, but, a wisely-modded .38 pipe rifle will give you a decent return for your investment in those mods. When you are positively awash in .38 ammo, (and, you likely will be), you can again mod that rifle over to an effective .38 sub-machine gun. If I recall, Level 2 on the Gun Nut perk will allow you to fully modify pipe-class weapons, or very nearly so. Obviously, the Rifleman and Commando perks help make you a legitimate threat in the Commonwealth wasteland.

V.A.T.S. is your friend, especially when searching for land-mines. And, I'm sorry to report, some asshat enjoys scattering them around in the most unlikely places. Just sayin'...

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Yep, shotgun with long barrel, glow sight and powerful receiver :)

Yes, .308 have lots and a pipe pistol with auto receiver. Been thinking of modding it differently but so far focused on 10 mm pistol and shotgun as have been short on screws and adhesive.

Now activated the perk that may give you rarer materials when scrapping weapons, incl. screws.

Gun Nut lvl 1 atm and next will go lvl 2 (and craft Advanced receivers for pistol and shotgun).

I also have a Hunting Rifle but only a handful of ammo for it so haven't modded it yet.

VATS is quickly becoming a second nature but I like the standard gunplay too. Use VATS in pinches or to try and get a crit on an unaware enemy etc.

Yes have run to that asshat's mines on occassion, blew me leg off that sob...

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Shotgun with explosive bullets is best shotgun.

[​IMG]

AsiJu likes this.
  14. Celcius

Celcius Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 380X
    Good choice on the Scrapper perk. I rarely leave a desk fan, hot plate or handcuffs behind simply for the screws they contain. Certain improved armor pieces you'll recover will sometimes yield a screw or two when scrapped. As for V.A.T.S., I mostly use it for my "Early Warning System" while sneaking about. And, I sneak everywhere, whenever I'm outside the warm embrace of a friendly, or at least neutral, settlement. After all, it's the only way to become aware that someone/something is about to rip you apart or put a round in your dome. It may look a little silly in 3rd-person, but I mostly find myself in 1st-person mode anyway. (And, always for combat.) The only thing to master when engaging in combat crouched, is realizing when things have taken a turn for the worst, and it's now time to get up and bolt!

It's not a bad idea, I think, to keep a decent melee weapon on tap, if just as a "finisher." For example, that final, surviving wild dog in the pack of three who just wanted a hug. The baton from Vault 111 is a little light for that task. There's the tire iron you probably grabbed Southeast of the bridge to Sanctuary, but, if you check behind the front door of the nearest house adjacent to the Red Rocket in Concord, you'll find a nice baseball bat, free for the taking. (There's also five gourd plants in the backyard that Preston's brood in Sanctuary would appreciate. Both the bat and the gourds magically return, too.)

Can't disagree. It's almost seems like 15 points of additional damage per pellet. (9 X 15, 12 X 15?) With the advanced receiver in play, you can drop a Deathclaw in seconds. The only problem with this beast is remembering that if you hit anything close-by, you will most definitely FUBAR yourself to Hades and back, about six times.

AsiJu and KissSh0t like this.
  15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Getting deeper in the rabbit hole... I can feel this game slowly sinking its (death)claws on me, lols.

Loot loop is addictive and somehow striking a balance between freeroaming and doing quests feels natural.

The world is believable as far as a sci-fi post apocalyptic wasteland goes and consistent.
    Eg I haven't run into any constantly respawning enemies, you kill something and it remains dead. Or at least the game makes it seem so.

Combat is fun and combining VATS with regular shooting is enjoyable.

I ran into my first Legendary enemy, one of those shelled creatures, can't remember the name now.
    Expecting a tough fight I lobbed a frag at it and when I was about to use VATS an XP counter popped up.

Didn't expect the frag to insta-kill it but not complaining!
    Got a Frigid Machete as reward.

Then ran into my first super mutants as well. Again when in doubt, frag out and first one was killed. Second was taken care of with a meaty shotgun headshot.

Oh and came over a mutated bear too. It killed me first but I returned the favor quickly. Finisher was a VATS crit headshot with the shotgun and I felt so badass I had to check my ass to see if it really was bad xD

16. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Ahh the old fallouts when super mutants and death claws were deadly, even new vegas first time you ran into a super mutant trying to sneak to vegas at under level 10 yikes, and the death claws, that is why i save scrummed that run :p. it was hard to try and fight a super mutant it was death to meet a death claw.

I am sure there are mods for that but last one i dld for 4 was umm i think the xenomorphs for death claws mod :p, but bethesda broke my game with their CC updates and not been arsed to sort it. I might just nuke the whole bloody thing till some of the total conversion mods come out. Seems every project is now porting to 4 because why not, better stability overall with the 64 bit support. and x-01 bethesda armor is choice in 4 nm how they animated the enter and exit of pa props on that. Plus yea the better shooting mechanics that id or bungie helped with i guess.

think fo3 f0nv fo2 and imagine at some point someone will announce a fo1 rework project. Long wait though lest that what project california is out and hopefully patched up can play that in vegas for a bit.

17. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    I did that for a bit, but then found the explosive SMG/Tommy Gun to be more of a destroyer of worlds. Give it a try, watch the whole world explode. :)

Yes! Finally somebody who plays the 3D Fallout games *exactly* like I do! At least, on my first playthrough. 2nd playthrough, knowing where everything was and all the "trigger" points, was an incredibly hilarity inducing max Strength Pain Train Power Armor romp. Good times...

I understand what you mean about the loops of loot and questing. Fallout 4 was very odd for me. I wanted so badly to enjoy it, so I kept slogging through while telling myself that the great moments were just around the corner. Granted, there were some sprinkled about, especially Far Harbor, but most of the game felt more like a checklist and cheap Minecraft wannabe. As far as a single frag killing stuff, you need to up the difficulty. I went to the highest after about 1 hour in the game and never came back down. Yes, it is super annoying that "difficulty" in this (and many modern) game just means more bullet sponges and no actual increased skill on the opposing side, but it sure made me scared of enemies some of the time.

I hear ya. Some of my most fondly remembered gaming moments are from Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics when I was growing up. Yeah, I love Tactics, so what. :p I very much enjoyed 3 and NV as well, except for the final NV expansion where I could tell they were using too many "oh, you stepped over this imaginary line so JUMP SCARE!" kind of crap that would make its way into Fallout 4. Totally ruins all the time and effort you put into being a stealthy character with specialized sneaking equipment.

Looking forward to The Outer Worlds from Obsidian. Crossing my fingers that it is more Fallout NV than Borderlands.

cerebus23 likes this.
  18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I have an..... off the top of my head I think it's a gamma gun... and if it hits nearly any enemy the arms pop off / enemy dies in one shot... lol.. not for big things like Deathclaws, things like super mutants and mercenery / ghouls.

My personal favorite weapon is the gauss rifle when it is fully upgraded, just the sound of it charging is so cool.

19. Celcius

Celcius Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 380X
    On one play-through, I elected to go full "native" and limited myself to *only* pipe-weapons, the two original 10mm pistols and baton I recovered in Vault 111, the ubiquitous double-barrel shotgun, and the found laser-musket from the Museum of Freedom. So, I eventually had one each of a semi-auto and full-auto 10mm, a .38 pipe SMG, a .45 semi-auto pipe rifle, a .308 and .50 pipe bolt-action, the single laser-based weapon and shotgun, plus the baton. I'd sell any ammunition I'd recover that I had no weapon for, and either sell or give my settlers any weapon that I had chosen to black-list. Which 10mm and bolt-action I'd carry was solely determined by ammunition availability. Ultimately, all of these shooters were refined into absolute killing machines, along with the help of the Rifleman, Gunslinger and Commando perks.

Also, it was just leather, metal, or Raider armor; no high-tech combat or Synth stuff. "Lightweight" at first, "Ultra Lightweight" when I could manage it. Power armor was Raider-style only. If welded-plate didn't cut it, well, then too bad for me. I won't spoil the game for AsiJu, but this forced me to carry around a boatload of Rad-Away on a few journeys.

No burdensome lugging around of 15, or so, duplicative weapons. Every weapon had it's application; served a specific purpose. Between the limited arsenal and feather-weight apparel, I traveled lithe and lean. I was positively svelte!

Life was simple. Life was good. A little chaotic, at times, but good.

AsiJu likes this.
  20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Just joined the Brotherhood of Steel. Promise of military grade hardware and own power armor lured me in though I don't believe their motives are so noble as they make you think...

still, means to an end and all that. Whatever effect this choice has on the story remains to be seen.

Now I'm off to clear out Cambridge station from whatever 'calls that home'. Ghouls at least are aplenty so far.