1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fallout 4 - Part 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Celcius

Celcius Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 380X
    If you have the double-barrel shotgun, (and starting out, it's likely you do), get the longer barrels on that ASAP.

You'll probably accrue as much or more .38 ammunition than most anything else, especially early on. In the vanilla game, the only weapons that use the .38 round are the various "pipe" guns. Some players seem to ignore the pipe weapons, but, a wisely-modded .38 pipe rifle will give you a decent return for your investment in those mods. When you are positively awash in .38 ammo, (and, you likely will be), you can again mod that rifle over to an effective .38 sub-machine gun. If I recall, Level 2 on the Gun Nut perk will allow you to fully modify pipe-class weapons, or very nearly so. Obviously, the Rifleman and Commando perks help make you a legitimate threat in the Commonwealth wasteland.

V.A.T.S. is your friend, especially when searching for land-mines. And, I'm sorry to report, some asshat enjoys scattering them around in the most unlikely places. Just sayin'...

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Yep, shotgun with long barrel, glow sight and powerful receiver :)

Yes, .308 have lots and a pipe pistol with auto receiver. Been thinking of modding it differently but so far focused on 10 mm pistol and shotgun as have been short on screws and adhesive.

Now activated the perk that may give you rarer materials when scrapping weapons, incl. screws.

Gun Nut lvl 1 atm and next will go lvl 2 (and craft Advanced receivers for pistol and shotgun).

I also have a Hunting Rifle but only a handful of ammo for it so haven't modded it yet.

VATS is quickly becoming a second nature but I like the standard gunplay too. Use VATS in pinches or to try and get a crit on an unaware enemy etc.

Yes have run to that asshat's mines on occassion, blew me leg off that sob...

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Shotgun with explosive bullets is best shotgun.

[​IMG]

AsiJu likes this.
  4. Celcius

Celcius Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 380X
    Good choice on the Scrapper perk. I rarely leave a desk fan, hot plate or handcuffs behind simply for the screws they contain. Certain improved armor pieces you'll recover will sometimes yield a screw or two when scrapped. As for V.A.T.S., I mostly use it for my "Early Warning System" while sneaking about. And, I sneak everywhere, whenever I'm outside the warm embrace of a friendly, or at least neutral, settlement. After all, it's the only way to become aware that someone/something is about to rip you apart or put a round in your dome. It may look a little silly in 3rd-person, but I mostly find myself in 1st-person mode anyway. (And, always for combat.) The only thing to master when engaging in combat crouched, is realizing when things have taken a turn for the worst, and it's now time to get up and bolt!

It's not a bad idea, I think, to keep a decent melee weapon on tap, if just as a "finisher." For example, that final, surviving wild dog in the pack of three who just wanted a hug. The baton from Vault 111 is a little light for that task. There's the tire iron you probably grabbed Southeast of the bridge to Sanctuary, but, if you check behind the front door of the nearest house adjacent to the Red Rocket in Concord, you'll find a nice baseball bat, free for the taking. (There's also five gourd plants in the backyard that Preston's brood in Sanctuary would appreciate. Both the bat and the gourds magically return, too.)

Can't disagree. It's almost seems like 15 points of additional damage per pellet. (9 X 15, 12 X 15?) With the advanced receiver in play, you can drop a Deathclaw in seconds. The only problem with this beast is remembering that if you hit anything close-by, you will most definitely FUBAR yourself to Hades and back, about six times.

AsiJu and KissSh0t like this.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Getting deeper in the rabbit hole... I can feel this game slowly sinking its (death)claws on me, lols.

Loot loop is addictive and somehow striking a balance between freeroaming and doing quests feels natural.

The world is believable as far as a sci-fi post apocalyptic wasteland goes and consistent.
    Eg I haven't run into any constantly respawning enemies, you kill something and it remains dead. Or at least the game makes it seem so.

Combat is fun and combining VATS with regular shooting is enjoyable.

I ran into my first Legendary enemy, one of those shelled creatures, can't remember the name now.
    Expecting a tough fight I lobbed a frag at it and when I was about to use VATS an XP counter popped up.

Didn't expect the frag to insta-kill it but not complaining!
    Got a Frigid Machete as reward.

Then ran into my first super mutants as well. Again when in doubt, frag out and first one was killed. Second was taken care of with a meaty shotgun headshot.

Oh and came over a mutated bear too. It killed me first but I returned the favor quickly. Finisher was a VATS crit headshot with the shotgun and I felt so badass I had to check my ass to see if it really was bad xD

6. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Ahh the old fallouts when super mutants and death claws were deadly, even new vegas first time you ran into a super mutant trying to sneak to vegas at under level 10 yikes, and the death claws, that is why i save scrummed that run :p. it was hard to try and fight a super mutant it was death to meet a death claw.

I am sure there are mods for that but last one i dld for 4 was umm i think the xenomorphs for death claws mod :p, but bethesda broke my game with their CC updates and not been arsed to sort it. I might just nuke the whole bloody thing till some of the total conversion mods come out. Seems every project is now porting to 4 because why not, better stability overall with the 64 bit support. and x-01 bethesda armor is choice in 4 nm how they animated the enter and exit of pa props on that. Plus yea the better shooting mechanics that id or bungie helped with i guess.

think fo3 f0nv fo2 and imagine at some point someone will announce a fo1 rework project. Long wait though lest that what project california is out and hopefully patched up can play that in vegas for a bit.

7. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    I did that for a bit, but then found the explosive SMG/Tommy Gun to be more of a destroyer of worlds. Give it a try, watch the whole world explode. :)

Yes! Finally somebody who plays the 3D Fallout games *exactly* like I do! At least, on my first playthrough. 2nd playthrough, knowing where everything was and all the "trigger" points, was an incredibly hilarity inducing max Strength Pain Train Power Armor romp. Good times...

I understand what you mean about the loops of loot and questing. Fallout 4 was very odd for me. I wanted so badly to enjoy it, so I kept slogging through while telling myself that the great moments were just around the corner. Granted, there were some sprinkled about, especially Far Harbor, but most of the game felt more like a checklist and cheap Minecraft wannabe. As far as a single frag killing stuff, you need to up the difficulty. I went to the highest after about 1 hour in the game and never came back down. Yes, it is super annoying that "difficulty" in this (and many modern) game just means more bullet sponges and no actual increased skill on the opposing side, but it sure made me scared of enemies some of the time.

I hear ya. Some of my most fondly remembered gaming moments are from Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics when I was growing up. Yeah, I love Tactics, so what. :p I very much enjoyed 3 and NV as well, except for the final NV expansion where I could tell they were using too many "oh, you stepped over this imaginary line so JUMP SCARE!" kind of crap that would make its way into Fallout 4. Totally ruins all the time and effort you put into being a stealthy character with specialized sneaking equipment.

Looking forward to The Outer Worlds from Obsidian. Crossing my fingers that it is more Fallout NV than Borderlands.

cerebus23 likes this.
  8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I have an..... off the top of my head I think it's a gamma gun... and if it hits nearly any enemy the arms pop off / enemy dies in one shot... lol.. not for big things like Deathclaws, things like super mutants and mercenery / ghouls.

My personal favorite weapon is the gauss rifle when it is fully upgraded, just the sound of it charging is so cool.

9. Celcius

Celcius Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 380X
    On one play-through, I elected to go full "native" and limited myself to *only* pipe-weapons, the two original 10mm pistols and baton I recovered in Vault 111, the ubiquitous double-barrel shotgun, and the found laser-musket from the Museum of Freedom. So, I eventually had one each of a semi-auto and full-auto 10mm, a .38 pipe SMG, a .45 semi-auto pipe rifle, a .308 and .50 pipe bolt-action, the single laser-based weapon and shotgun, plus the baton. I'd sell any ammunition I'd recover that I had no weapon for, and either sell or give my settlers any weapon that I had chosen to black-list. Which 10mm and bolt-action I'd carry was solely determined by ammunition availability. Ultimately, all of these shooters were refined into absolute killing machines, along with the help of the Rifleman, Gunslinger and Commando perks.

Also, it was just leather, metal, or Raider armor; no high-tech combat or Synth stuff. "Lightweight" at first, "Ultra Lightweight" when I could manage it. Power armor was Raider-style only. If welded-plate didn't cut it, well, then too bad for me. I won't spoil the game for AsiJu, but this forced me to carry around a boatload of Rad-Away on a few journeys.

No burdensome lugging around of 15, or so, duplicative weapons. Every weapon had it's application; served a specific purpose. Between the limited arsenal and feather-weight apparel, I traveled lithe and lean. I was positively svelte!

Life was simple. Life was good. A little chaotic, at times, but good.

AsiJu likes this.
  10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Just joined the Brotherhood of Steel. Promise of military grade hardware and own power armor lured me in though I don't believe their motives are so noble as they make you think...

still, means to an end and all that. Whatever effect this choice has on the story remains to be seen.

Now I'm off to clear out Cambridge station from whatever 'calls that home'. Ghouls at least are aplenty so far.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    The Load Accelerator mod is godsend, loading times were driving me crazy.

Plus it allows to set a different fps cap ingame too. Which is nice given you can't use RTSS cap with LA or it won't work.

I also recommend Boston fps fix:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26286

that combined with dropping shadow distance to Medium allows for good fps in urban areas too, 60+

KissSh0t likes this.
  12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Hey can you guys recommend any YouTube playthrough or let's play videos of FO4?

Given my limited gaming opportunities I'll likely never get to do multiple playthroughs so would like to see a bit of how others played the game, for ideas on what the game has to offer.

So I may, or may not, do that stuff on my current playthrough.

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I used to watch content from this channel after I was done with the game https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrbdVuw_4Tt0zBE5Gmo4TwA/playlists?view=50&sort=dd&shelf_id=9

If it helps, I enjoyed my Institute playthrough significantly more than my BoS playthrough. They're really dull.

AsiJu likes this.
  14. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Oxhorn provides some good lore videos, which covers most aspects of the game.

I put most of my focus into the settlements and base building. On the latest playthrough, I spent countless hours gathering junk and crafting to give my settlers a unified look (ballistic weave, combat armor, assault weapon, and gatling laser for defenders). I was overencumbered most of the time, carrying around thousands of pounds of stuff for the sake of my settlers.

AsiJu likes this.
  15. Celcius

Celcius Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 380X
    While I'm certain you undoubtedly already realize this, since you'll very likely spoil whatever the game is hiding behind the curtain that you haven't already glimpsed, I'd give any playthrough videos a pass.

I've always felt like my first time through any game *should* be the most memorable. And, at least in some ways, the most enjoyable. If I were to already know what was around the next corner, or over the next hill beforehand, I'd be already subconsciously trying to "game" the game. Embrace this event, avoid that one, and so forth. That approach is for subsequent playthroughs. Go through this game based on what you've experienced, rather than what someone has shown you. It can get complicated. While some of the inter-factional relationships can, and almost certainly will, require either some delicate diplomacy or back-stabbing treachery, there is still sufficient latitude along that narrow path that permits you to pretty much experience the entirety of what the Commonwealth has in store for you.

Remember that very little, if anything, quest-related is time-sensitive; there should nearly always be plenty of opportunity for you to follow your own agenda(s) and explore. For example, if Scribe Haylen or Knight Rhys sends you all the way to a Far Harbor location on a mission, there isn't any rule you'd be breaking if you chose to sink 100 hours or more into exploring that locale. Haylen won't be annoyed if you spent a few weeks there, and Rhys won't be any friendlier if you hurried back as fast as you could. Of course, nothing says you have to return at all. Ever.

Just keep your active quests and map-markers sorted, save often, and follow your own path, at your own pace. And, remember to watch where you step...

AsiJu likes this.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Yeah of course watching lp's is likely spoiling whatever event / location / quest there is at least partially, but I'll try to avoid spoilers whilst getting some idea of what's where, so to speak.

Currently going after Kellogg and then I think I'll have to ponder whether I keep Dogmeat as company or switch to Piper or Valentine.
    Valentine seems to be helpful storylinewise but I dunno... also I'd kind of like to stick with Dogmeat.

I've played about 26 hrs, taken my time. Though I haven't done settlements or even that many side quests, instead exploring and doing crafting (weapons / armor) as much as possible.

Diamond City security keeps pestering me about my arsenal: "I like guns too but ain't that a bit much?"

No, it's the perfect amount. Every weapon uses different ammo you smart-pants!

17. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 970 SC
    i gave up on this game a while back and never finished it. had the same problem with loading times
    on a modern hardware and even after i found that vsync fix.. its just felt like a passable experience.
    iv heard Far Harbor was worth it, but the core game has so many flaws i just can't see that happening.

Fallout NV is one of my all time favorites games, the older games and also Fallout 3 were a blast.

so when i bought the game on release and started it, instantly i felt its a ripoff. the dialogue system
    and the attempt to make it more of a Mass Effect\Dragon Age style was a disaster in my opinion. it fits
    other titles, not Fallout.

the buildings... were the worst part of it. instead of filling the world with interesting\engaging story-wise
    quests\characters Bethesda decided for some reason to fill the world with stuff to collect and build.
    for me it was the shortest way to make players grind like maniacs and build things like crazy instead
    of spending hours on interesting quests. i honestly have no idea what the hell were they thinking.
    im not saying the entire crafting system was bad, but the settlements themselves felt like a lie.

the power armor... Jesus. in a nuclear wasteland, the progress should be very slow ( on high difficulty )
    and even on mid level with that shitty power armor i felt like Superman. and it was simply handed to me
    early on in the game. i understood the mistake of using it since its killed the entire idea way
    after.

its only my opinion on it.. i wish i was not salty about Fallout 4. like many many others, i was very
    optimistic and excited to buy it and spend hours on it.

cerebus23 likes this.
  18. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Don't mind Diamond City security - they say that to everyone ;) (I have a single gun and they still say it).

Dogmeat is okay when starting out, but he doesn't have any dialogue or quests associated with him. The human NPCs can provide some perks when you max affinity with them (and building up affinity can take quite a while) so I would recommend switching. Be careful about giving them weapons and ammo though - they'll likely use them and deplete the ammo.

IMO, watching let's play videos won't convey a meaningful sense of the game. There are so many things to do and so many ways to play that a single playthrough won't cover all of them. Of course the choices aren't as varied as previous Fallout games, but you'll want to at least do all variations of the end-game (depends on which faction you side with). The expansion packs also provide some more choices - on my last playthrough I specifically did the Nuka World missions first so I could maintain good relations with Preston.

The perk system also allows you to build characters for a certain play style, such as a long-range sniper, or sneak melee. On most of my playthroughs I exclusively used the Overseer's Guardian for sniping, but on my last one I also went for sneak bonuses and used a VATS-enhanced Disciples blade when I wanted to get up close and personal. There are also VATS and non-VATS builds you can do, based on how you want to play.

The settlement and base building system also adds another layer of complexity. In my later playthroughs, I focused on the settlements and built them up as much as possible. I spent countless hours gathering junk for crafting so that my settlers could have a unified look with standard armaments (assault weapons + combat armor) and I also armed my provisioners to the teeth (ballistic weave + heavy combat armor + gatling laser). I also armed the base with rocket and laser turrets, and attackers often times get eliminated before I can fire a single shot. I like management games so this aspect of the game appealed to me.

And finally, there is survival mode, which adds thirst, hunger, disease and exhaustion. IMO, this is the best mode and I found it impossible to play the game on any other mode afterwards. Of course running around the commonwealth can be very time-consuming so it might not be applicable to you, but it provides a greater challenge and has better rewards.

AsiJu likes this.
  19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Thanks for the insights!

I am now with Piper and indeed having a companion you can talk to is refreshing for a change, heh.
    I'll offload extra stuff like with Dogmeat but keep ammo to myself I think, it's weightless after all.

Must say that even for its flaws I really like this game! Granted, not least because it can be played as a looter shooter kind of game but I'm liking it overall anyway.

20. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    That's another thing I forgot to mention - in survival mode, ammo has weight. It's the reason why I only carried one gun with me (couldn't afford to carry around more than one type of ammo).

Another huge aspect of this game is the mods. Nexus mods has a ton of 'em, some of which can radically transform the game. I typically play with high texture mods (including 8K skin textures, which look amazing on a 4K monitor), as well as the unofficial patch (which fixes a ton of bugs that Bethesda was too lazy to fix) and, of course, CBBE ;). It's because of the mods that I've sank almost 2000 hours into the game.

However, I would recommend completing the game before playing with mods (don't want to ruin the vanilla experience, plus mods will disable achievements). They're an option if you want to replay the game.