Fallout 4 at E3 exciting rumours

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ramthegamer, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I find it interesting that Bethesda gets a free pass for a passable looking title that is buggy as **** on release (that's yet to be seen, but I'd be shocked if it isn't considering their history) compared to other AAA developers. After all, this game is being released at a AAA price. You'd expect it to be a finished game, rather than a half arsed one with an ancient engine.

It seems to me that people are happy to throw away credence for the sake of a potential developer toolkit release. Slop is fantastic because the community can fix it!

People are also willing to overlook the fact Bethesda shat all over the lore and workings of the original Fallout titles, then ****ed over Obsidian for the sake of a 0.1 metacritic score. A score which was a good chunk higher than their own for Fallout 3, with a small deadline, a far better story, and was way more consistent to the original content.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  2. Teisco

Teisco Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    Wow, not even out yet and the guesser reviews are pouring in.

3. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I've followed Bethesda since Daggerfall.

Thanks for the elaborate rebuttal however, it really shows your stance and how strong it is.

1. Are you saying the visuals are AAA level?
    2. Are you claiming the past titles were not buggy?
    3. Are you claiming Fallout 3 had a good story?
    4. Are you claiming that they're not using the same old piece of **** engine?
    5. Are you claiming that they didn't lore-crap the series, starting with Fallout 3? And this title, considering the screens.

Etc.

This game might end up being fantastic, although I'm sure it will do well even if it isn't. I hope it works out well, I'll continue watching to see if it does. Then again, Skyrim was hugely popular and I wasn't fond of that either. Releasing a half finished game at a AAA price point, so that the community can finish it off for you? No, just no -- I'll never agree with it.

4. Teisco

Teisco Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    Out looking for an argument are you? Lol, grow up man it's only a game.

5. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I'm on a forum of debate, I'm debating. You're acting like a child (who misread my statement before making a response) with short responses, congratulations! You're one of those very special people that want those very special head-pats.

If you don't want anyone criticising you, you should probably run away from anything public.

PS: Switch and bait tactics? Really?

6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Bethesda tends to "get a pass" on their games visuals and stability because of the amount of fun and the joy of the gameplay.
    I will gladly overlook a games issues and shortcomings if the game itself is fun to play.

I had zero issues dealing with the many bugs and problems in Vampire: Bloodlines and Dark Messiah because they were an absolute blast to play.
    I did the same with STALKER. Buggy as hell, but it was so fun to play it was worth the effort.

And it's the same with Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Great games, yes they were buggy, but I had so much fun with them I didn't care.
    And, yes Obsidian did get screwed on the bonus/review score bulls***.

But, lets not forget that New Vegas was far worse stability wise then Fallout 3 was. And, you can't just be like "Oh... they didn't have enough time..."
    It's Obsidian. Saying an Obsidian game has bugs is like saying a book has pages in it.

Alpha Protocol, an absolutely amazing game. But dear god is it bugged up the ass.
    South Park was the most solid game they've ever released... and, that was most likely because at it's core, it was the most simple game they had to code.

7. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Bloodlines had a very short timeline for development and it was on a much smaller budget compared to anything made by Bethesda. On the other hand, it's the game that killed the studio. Please try to remember that we're discussing one of the most prominent development studios in the industry today. Every game company you've mentioned worked on far, far smaller budgets and they were not AAA studios.

Obsidian games have had bugs due to a history of deadlines and budget issues. New Vegas worked better for many than FO3 -- had a shorter deadline and was a far, far better game. A game built upon the shoddy Gamebryo engine they were forced to use. Again, not a AAA studio given the budget and time constraints.

Alpha Protocol I will give you to an extent, but again -- time constraints. Sega were pushing them like there was no tomorrow.

We're talking about passes being given, but most of the titles with those 'passes' you've mentioned have killed studios or have come close.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  8. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I'm not talking about the reasons behind the game's problems. That's not a part of my judgement.
    I'm talking about the fun and joy of the game, how entertaining the gameplay and world is. Being able to give the game a pass on it's issues and stability because the game itself is fun.

Yes, a lot of the time there's a valid reason behind the problems. But, I'm not taking those into account. I'm talking solely on the enjoyment people find in the product itself. And that's why most people overlook the issues of a lot of Bethesda games. Because they know, bugs or not, they'll find a lot of fun in the game.

9. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RTX 2060 S
    I'll never mod any fallout or elder scrolls game again, it runs terrible all the time or i didn't do it right lol.

I think Fallout 4 looks fantastic, it'll be the only fallout i'll probably enjoy a ton cause of the improved gameplay done by the makers of Doom.

10. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I agree with you regarding how fun a title might or might not be. That's not entirely my point here. My point is, and I suspect you will agree with it, is that when you have a AAA studio with a massive potential budget behind it such as Bethesda -- you should really be seeing a higher quality game in terms of visuals and quality control.

I'm not basing this off Fallout 4 as I've not played it. But I can base it on every title released between Daggerfall and now -- Morrowind being spectacular but still buggy. I'm not saying this will be a bad game. I'm saying it should be more than it looks to be, and given my experience with their other games? I expect it to be less than that.

I would love to be proven wrong.

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I would agree there is a level of quality you'd expect from a more well known studio or publisher. But, such levels of quality are not universal across the industry... and with each studio, publisher... you know what to expect.

With Ubisoft most people know they may find a game they enjoy, but they'll also most likely run into a PC release riddled with issues and optimization issues.

Most people also probably felt very secure with Warner Bros in terms of PC releases. From the FEAR series, previous Arkham games, Shadow of Mordor and Dying Light. Then Arkham Knight's issues.
    AAA means nothing to me. Just because a game is supposed to be a certain level doesn't mean anything.

With Bethesda, yes, I expect a certain level of "issues" with each game. And, thankfully I found Skyrim to be, by far, a much more polished experience then previous releases. I hope that trend continues with Fallout 4.
    Specially since they didn't announce the game until it was basically finished.

I for one am absolutely stocked for Fallout 4. I'm hoping it's a new level of quality and polish for the studio, but if it's not... I don't care. :) I know fully well what I'm possibly getting into.

12. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    You're right, with Ubisoft people know what to expect to an extent. You also see the complaints thick in any gaming forum or place of discussion.

Bethesda seem to quite literally get a free pass in that regard, over the release of what amounts to a toolkit. To me that is them saying... "Finish the game off for us! But we'll charge the same!" -- It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I love the fact they support the mod community, I do not like that they seem to take advantage of it.

Skyrim was buggy as hell on release, there were literal memes regarding it. It's one of the reasons I'm concerned.

I am however, willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and see how things turn out. I'm just not entirely convinced that any trust I give will be well placed.

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I'm putting my trust in the idea that the game will be fun. Fun to play, fun to explore... just... fun.

The stability or condition of the game is a mystery. Given how they handled development, it could very well be a great, stable wonderfully made game.
    Or, it could run into the same types of issues their games normally do. It's something I have no idea of.

But, it's something I'm aware of. And, it's not going to be like Arkham Knight or Dead Rising 3. Going in expecting the best, and getting completely shafted.

14. Feed_Bucket

Feed_Bucket Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Speaking of Bethesda it has never been that extreme where they expect us to finish the game for them. I've always seen it as improving what they did wrong or make the game look like how you want it to look. Be grateful you have that option to fix the things you don't like. Plus Bethesda never touts their games as graphics powerhouses.

When it comes to price I can't see how they justify giving AC: Syndicate the same $60 price tag as FO4 when the measurement of content for FO4 is astronomically greater, potentially infinitely. Instead of whining over something subjective as graphics you should be complaining about true disservices to the gaming community.

I wonder if that irks developers too. Does Bethesda, who spends years developing, instantaneously vomit into their mouths when they see Ubisoft's Annual Repackaging is selling for the same price?

15. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Where have I complained about graphics, specifically? I've pointed out that their games tend to be lacklustre in those areas for a supposed AAA studio. I'm not big into visuals, I've post history that proves this.

You don't see Bethesda as releasing half finished games, that's absolutely fine. I do, and I've watched them do it for a very long time now. Ubisoft has no excuse, but that doesn't mean Bethesda does.

PS: "Graphics" are not subjective, design and art direction is.

16. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 XC Ultra
    People were losing their **** over TW3's graphics before release. It looked fine, and the game play was even better. FO4 looks fine, and I bet the game play well be even better.

I'm a graphics whore, but I don't see anything 'wrong' with what I see from FO4. It looks like an improved Creation/Skyrim game.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=183681329&postcount=2101
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=183684449&postcount=2252
    Looks great IMHO. Considering it's the ps4 version, I'll take that at 60 FPS.

I love my graphics, but I don't play a Bethesda game for the draw distance. I play these games to get lost, forget real life for a few hours at a time.

As for preordering on steam, don't feel bad that maybe you could have saved $15. There ain't many companies left making engaging, singleplayer only, story driven games anymore. Bugs and graphics aside, these people are pros at making a fantastic world.
    My point is, getting your game off of key sites is fine and dandy. But sometimes a game deserves direct support. $60 will be worth the 300+ hours you will get out of it.

17. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    No, its at 30 on consoles.

18. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    It looks pretty bad, when I first saw it announced I figured they were going for 60fps, and even then it didn't look great (Metro Redux looks better and is at 60fps on PS4). It really doesn't look much different to New Vegas IMO. I won't be getting it as I thought New Vegas was pretty bad and I've never understood why it's so popular.

19. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I think he's saying he'd take those visuals at 60fps on PC and still be happy.

20. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    Welcome to 2015...
    The year when refund became a new word at Steam...
    :banana::banana::banana:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.