Fallout 3 crowned 'game of year'

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Redemption80, Oct 31, 2009.

1. GabrielSans

GabrielSans Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
    OMG, thanks man. Not even in my entire lifetime I could have realized that by myself!!

Now, I can continue to play, I suppose.

2. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Haha, how much money did they get for this list? Fallout3 - CMON!??!

- Fallout3 helped me to get into bed early on a saturday evening because it was so bloody dull. It's not even a NEW game, it's just a mission disk for Oblivion, but without any fresh ideas.
    - Forza3 isn't even on the list??
    - best PC game this year is BATMAN, everybody knows that
    - ok they are right about GTA:China town wars, its awesome

What a waste of digital space :p

3. Meta|Gear

Meta|Gear Pretty Hate Machine

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 Dual-X 3L
    It was fun when it actually worked, which was almost never.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Gamespot: Editors choice.
    Critic Score: 9.0
    Users score: 8.9 (11,000 users)

IGN Rating : 9.6 "Incredible"

Gamespy rating: "Outstanding"

Gameplanet: 9.5/10

I dont believe any other game this year came as close to the high praise by top game sites and users as FO3. So it was a logical candidate for 'game of the year'. Your personal views on it simply happen to be that of the minority.

I recall several people here dissing HL2 which had an even higher score and was voted greatest game of all time. No matter how good a game is, there will always be a few who whine and moan and wonder what all the fuss was about. Its almost a law of nature. ;)

5. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    I don't really get your point?

And on topic: I thought FO 3 was boring, had much more fun playing through FO 2 and countless other games.

6. GabrielSans

GabrielSans Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
    OMG, what a mistake!!! I was reading the IGN review and the name "Game of the Year" is because the company publishing the game released a new edition containing the original game plus 5 expansions (which were already downloadable to buyers of Fallout 3). So, NOBODY stated that Fallout 3 is the Game Of The Year "yet". It is only a special edition just like, for example, Unreal Tournament GOTY edition was a kind of golden edition of the original game. I was afraid of that, but I had to check it by reading a review.

My God, we are still in November, guys. Wait a little more, till January 2010, to debate about this game. Yes, somebody told that it is the best game between April 2008 and May 2009 or something. Well, I never heard of such a crazy thing like that one before, lol! Generally, it is in January.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    i wonder how borderlands will end up on this list. i surely am having more fun with it than FO3.

8. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Super Jetstream
    in my case, i enjoyed FO3 and other similar sandbox style games (approaching an objective ona different manner etc.). The consolitis part of it is quite annoying tough, good thing the mods can cure it a bit.

9. exiled_soul

exiled_soul Member

GPU:
    XFX-GTX275
    Fall out 3 is crap..like other i lost my interest after play it 3hr.

10. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    Second that +1

11. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    How could it be GoTY as it came out in 2008?

deltatux

12. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Well, it was me who said it and beleive me or not, I never heard of this before and I only mentioned it because I read the article stating

Craziest idea ever. It should be May to Apr to avoid overlap still.
    So, FO3 could be the 'game of the year in some really strange calander system unknown to the world'.

FO3 isn't a bad game, it could be fun but it's just too Oblivion and the storyline is too shallow. The interface is crap (everything is too big, luckily we got modders to give us a better interface for PC).

13. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Definitely deserved it. You have a very short attention span if you thought the game was "too boring" because you have to take a 10 question test and shoot bugs with a bb gun.

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I loved Fallout 3. I finished it a while back on the 360 and now I just picked it up cheap for the PC last week. Started playing it again last night.

15. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    I loved Oblivion, and got soooo much time out of it. I guess that's why FO3 bored me to tears. It was so similar to Oblivion, but it was ugly and boring.

16. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    For me and few others Call Of Duty 4 Modern Warfare is the game of the year. Afterall the real king doesn't needs to be crowned. O and before i forget i simply hate Fallout 3.

17. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    LOL I was definitely in a good mood when I posted that... Anyways, to follow up: for me, the best part by far of Fallout 3 was the beginning Vault sequence, after which the game just got very boring and repetitive. IMO, Oblivion was much more interesting, and there was more to do in Oblivion as well -- the game mechanics were more complex. IN FO3, there are very few side-quests by comparison, and while the main quest was very 'epic' and nice, I couldn't appreciate the fact that the game only served 50 real hours of game time before I had exhausted all the game had to offer. Oblivion, by contrast, offered me 200+ hours for just one character, and I re-played the game several times; something I've never felt the urge to do with Fallout 3.

IMO, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. should be crowned king.

18. AMD4Sho

AMD4Sho Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    ^^ Definitely agreed, owning both Oblivion, and F03, I do agree that there aren't probably half as many quests to do in F03 that there are in Oblivion, but for me it was nice to get away from all the cheesy spells, and shoot some semi-realistic looking weapons with bullets!

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I always went for Fallout3, as i like apocalyptic themes, and hate fantasy stuff, so knew Oblivion would make me dull, and make me cringe and laugh, but Fallout3 disappointed me, story could of been better, and dialogue was kinda weak.

I've barely played Stalker, but for atmosphere and visuals it definetly beats Fallout3.

20. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Oblivion was ok I guess. Some of the Guild quests are annoying. Especially the Thieves Guild. Fallout was just a clone of Oblivion with guns but I enjoyed it much more. I hate the fantasy crap with Elves and stuff like that.