Fake / virtual monitor in Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by delatroy, Nov 5, 2013.

1. delatroy

delatroy New Member

GPU:
    12gb
    I have a 1440x900 monitor and I want to do some video capturing at to 1080p, WQHD, 4K, etc using my same setup without having to fork out on higher resolution monitor.

One idea is to extend the desktop in windows 7 to a second, "fake" monitor with the desired resolution. I would then drag the application into the extended, faked monitor, maximize it from the keyboard and start recording via a hotkey. It would be unseen but capturing at the higher resolution.

Wondering if anyone has any insight into if it's possible? Is there a way to fake windows into showing a second monitor where I can extend the desktop across?

What about using a terminated VGA plug (see http://www.overclock.net/t/384733/th...ond-dummy-plug) and then VNC into the machine to set the 2560x1440 resolution on the primary display?

Any help appreciated. Many thanks

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You can try and force higher resolutions on your current screen with modified edid.
    Or do same with "Custom Resolution Utility" / "Downsampling GUI" / "Power Strip".
    Then there are commercial solutions which virtualize desktop size:
    "360 Desktop" / "infinite Screen"
    And for D3D9 applications you can use: SoftTH which is capable to tell application that you have any resolution available and do any kind of resizing/transforming/cutting to your real outputs.

Another way is to connect more outputs into same monitor if that have such inputs (You will see only one input in time, but have accessible all as you switch inputs on monitor.)

And last is virtual machine. In such case there is "Oracle Virtual Box" (is free) which is for free, supports OpenGL and you can use "D3D to OpenGL" wrapper to enable good D3D support.
    (If you have trouble with high resolutions there being too high for your screen, connect to it via "Ultra VNC" / "TeamViewer" which provide good compatibility with OpenGL/D3D applications and are free.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You can't record the desktop at a higher res than your display supports....your monitor only has xxxx many pixels....

4. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Mmm seem to recall that Windows XP had a tool called Virtual Desktop did just that.
    But I think MS discontinued it for later Windows releases.

5. ultraelf

ultraelf New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 5500
    Hello,
    Exactly, we have to work was the situation in which we had to use a program to administer. We used Ultra VNC, Teamviever and LiteManager - remote control software. Monitoring was done perfectly! It is suitable for Windows and free.
    Thanks!