Fake Samsung 980 Pro SSDs on the Rise: Beware of Counterfeit Drives

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 20, 2023.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    fantaskarsef and mbk1969 like this.
  2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It's pretty peculiar it even fooled Magician. The software must not have very robust algorithms for recognising genuine drives, then. I wonder what happens when you update the firmware through Magician, haha. Best case scenario would be an immediate error message with nothing else happening, the worst case would be bricking the drive permanently.

3. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    In the UK I REGULARLY see fake SSD's on Amazon. Someone bought one into the shop the other week, sold as a 5TB external SSD but when I opened it I found effectively 64GB SD card and adaptor.

What's worse is that it was a sponsored item, and was still available a week after I reported it to them.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    LimitbreakOr and Brasky like this.
  4. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    The company i work at buy things from China in bulk, once we got hundreds of fake "Kingston" SSDs

5. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    In fact, I just checked and it's still on there, (or back on there) for £55.99 as a sponsored item.

6. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    I guess as long as your check clears for advertising, you can put anything on Amazon you want.

7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    What do the user reviews say?

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I don't get it... why would you buy such a drive used in the first place? If I'm buying a used drive, it's either from someone I personally know/trust or because I'm on a very tight budget, in which case, I'd get a lower-tier model.

Buying a used SSD is like buying used underwear - with good hygiene and a good washer, maybe it's fine, but you're taking a lot of unnecessary risks for something that is kinda designed to be used by a single person/PC for its usable life.

Airbud and DirtyDee like this.
  9. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    You can report bootlegs. it's rare when they do anything about it. The story is the same on ebay if the seller is big enough.

10. k37chup

k37chup Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 4070
    Amazon only removes items that are not politically aligned with Amazon.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I never buy anything used. Just hope counterfeit items dont end up being sold as new by Amazon one day.

12. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Funny thing is this is not a hackjob SD ...the drive seem like an ok performers midrangers , at least usable!

schmidtbag likes this.
  13. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    avoid Amazon

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Its probably the safest place you can buy from on the internet. If something the least bit out of place with your purchase, you get your money back. If Amazon not safe, no other place will be.

15. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming
    ahaha, that's a good analogy...when it comes to buying something used it tends to be a temporary solution for me until a major upgrade. i still wouldn't risk buying a used drive though.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023

16. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Google isn't any better than Scamazon, your search results can easily pop up with scam advertisement coming up on top. Google has been cannibalizing its own search results more and more.

17. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Never ever had a problem with Amazon. People are just stupid and don't know how to shop. When buying anything that costs more than 50€ I make sure it's sold and shipped by Amazon directly. Never got scammed, never got bad product, never got delayed shipment.

[​IMG]

18. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Amazon does give your money back on smaller purchases but be very careful about stuff that's a bit more pricey.
    I once bought a TV for about 1200$, the box came damaged and they charged the wrong credit card on the account (not mine) on purpose automatically because i had forgotten that i put a limit on mine.
    I contacted amazon a few times and they refused to refund and charge the correct card, they told me to return the Tv and purchase another one to correct it. I had to take the giant TV to the post office my self. They wouldn't refund the card until they receive the item first and verify it at their warehouse which took about 5 weeks...

GoldenTiger likes this.
  19. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Ive been buying from Amazon since 2008, and ive spent an absolute ton of money on PC equipment and never had an issue. I recently hjad to return a 32" monitor that died a couple of weeks after i bought it, the process was so simple and i had my money back within 10 working days. Mobo's GPUs, CPUs, RAM and SSDs/NVMes the lot, never an issue but i wouldnt buy 2nd hand ever.

Brasky likes this.
  20. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    True, people are definitely stupid for falling for scams most of the time, Amazon has some amount of responsibility to protect people who are "stupid" when they allow randoms to sell under their banner, but that would probably not be as profitable as ignoring the problem.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023