Fake 8800GTX?!! 396 core? 1400mhz memory?!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by iamtukm, Jun 15, 2007.

1. ru'

ru' Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 7800GT SLI
    Two reasons I can think of;

1) He didn't know what he was doing, thought he'd screwed it up so sold it on eBay.

2) He screwed it up, knew what he was doing so changed the BIOS to hide the damage and sold it on eBay.

Let's hope it's number 1! :D

2. iamtukm

iamtukm Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTX 768MB

Hey can you tell step-by-step on how you would edit my gpu bios to match yours with the nibitor 3.4a?? i look at the program and it looks so confusing. Does the program also let me change the 1.2v to 1.3v? And is there a 2d mode speed in the bios? i dont see one

also, Whats the difference between editing the bios and flashing the bios? what im trying to get at is if you edit the bios, do you still have to flash it.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  3. TV addict#2

TV addict#2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EvgaGtx680+HPLP-3065
    you could possibly download a proper card bios from your manufacturer web site

4. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    I have to agree, i wouldn't be happy with the card even at that price, personally i would send it back and get a refund.

Something is very wrong here.

5. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Sorry, my bad, i just read the techpowerup review, the PSU should be able to drive that no hassles

actually i had the page open and was away from my PC mid post so i didnt see your post, nice one, enjoy

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  6. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    For the record, just because a low wattage PSU can power your system, doesn't mean it was intended to run at that load for extended periods of time.

The wattage quoted on any power supply is the peak wattage, and no PSU is designed to run at its peak wattage for any sustained period of time. So just beware, your system might run fine now, but expect your PSU to fail a lot sooner than the mtbf quoted on the box.

7. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080

I wouldn't be the best guy to help you, jcarlin123 sounds like he knows his stuff.
    Jimmor is a guru I think highly of also, he really knows that program well.
    Here is his contact info http://forums.guru3d.com/member.php?u=65617

8. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    i had a helluva scare a few months ago. Playin a game... think Test Drive Unlimited, when all of a sudden the screen went one solid color, and i heard a loud squeal coming from my computer. At first i couldn't tell where it was coming from.... and didn't really know if i should have tried turning the computer on again or not.... but i decided to anyway. Turned out that the squeal was coming from my 8800GTX, because the card wasn't getting enough power. This was when i was running an Ultra X2-Connect 550w power supply (along with my two hard drives, two optical drives, an AMD X2 3800+, 2GB of DDR2 800, and an Audigy 2 ZS). Took the supply out, rigged it up in the typical fashion used for testing for leaks in a watercooling setup prior to installing hardware. Turned out that the two PCI-Express power connections completely lost voltage..... i mean ALL of it. hooked up my volt meter and it didn't even show a tenth of a volt.

RMA'd the video card just in case it took a hit (which was also nice cause the card i got in return has a black PCB), bought my current Tagan 700W power supply.... all has been well so far.

9. TheRevern

TheRevern Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780GTX OCC 3gb
    On the topic of powersupplys , mine just caught fire at my hdds. thankfully the Hiper power supply is great and nothing else even took a fluciwation in voltage. The fire was caused i think from a faulty hdd in my other pc and when i put it into my new one ( the one listed in specs ) it just took out that line. Im running right now on a 560 watt silverstone. I must say I havent had any power issues with my pc running Crossfire , cept for that fire , but that was partilay my fault. But anyway on topic , i was reading it , I hope you get that card back up to spec , and if you do. Damn hella of a bargin!

10. jcarlin123

jcarlin123 Member Guru

GPU:
    xfx 7900gs 256mb @650/1900
    I'll try and give you a walk through. To edit the bios, startup nibitor, go to tools\read bios\select device. Select your 8800gtx (should be the only one on the list). Now go tools\read bios\read into nibitor. Now all your bios info should be loaded up into nibitor. Now go to 'clockrates' (first tab) and change the 3d clock speeds back to their default (as long as your confident they work). Now go to the 'voltages' tab and make sure that the default 3d voltage is 1.3v. If it isn't, you should be able to change it to 1.3 from the drop-down menu. If you want you can also change the default 2d and 3d fanspeeds, by going to the 'temperatures' tab. But again, as long as your happy with what you set. If you want good cooling and don't care about the noise, 80/50 would work nicely, but if you like a quiet system it's probably best leaving them as they are. Now once you're happy with all the changes you've made, go file\save bios. Save it as something simple like 'work'. That's the bios edited :)

11. jcarlin123

jcarlin123 Member Guru

GPU:
    To flash the bios, you'll need to create a bootable floppy. Then just copy nvflash.exe and cwsdpmi.exe and your newly edited bios (work.rom) to the newly created bootable disk. Then restart your computer and make sure that the floppy drive is set to no.1 in the boot sequence. Restart again, and type a:nvflash.exe at the command promt. From there on in it is pretty self explanatory. good luck ;)

12. iamtukm

iamtukm Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTX 768MB
    ahh so i still would need to flash the bios, right? i cant just edit it in windows with the program and everything is all set. nibitor only gets me a copy of the bios the way i want to flash, yes?

Whats a bootable floppy? is that a floppy that has the dos operation system on it?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  13. jcarlin123

jcarlin123 Member Guru

GPU:
    Yeah that's right. Nibitor allows you to edit the bios so that it is how you want it, but you still need to flash the bios to make it effective. To create a bootable floppy, just put the floppy disk in the drive, go to my computer, right-click the a drive icon and select format. When you get into the format window, tick the box that says something like 'make bootable'. That's it. Windows does the rest for you ;)

14. iamtukm

iamtukm Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTX 768MB
    i dont have a floppy drive, guess i have to get one >< wouldnt it be easier if i get the original evga bios somewhere and use that? Do you know where i would download original bioses? i didnt see any on evga's site.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  15. jcarlin123

jcarlin123 Member Guru

GPU:
    Regardless you would have to flash the bios :( I'm not too sure where you could get the original bios. Perhaps someone from here who owns an evga 8800gtx could lend you it. But the nibitor stuff is really quite easy. It's the flashing that can get a bit difficult.

16. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    well if it exists:
    http://www.mvktech.net/
    its there. Plus you can email evga tech and they will gladly give you a new bios if you explain the situation to them.

17. ntfx

ntfx Guest

they do have a new gtx bios in the drivers section on the evga site..

18. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    Surely you can flash a BIOS with a DVD/CD Drive? I would of thought it will be possible to use the DVD/CD DRive, even if you have to emulate a floppy drive.

Don't ask me about emulation though, cause i don't have a clue about that, i haven't had the need to try it.

19. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Most BIOS updates still use floppy drives, although some companies have started releasing tools that let you use a USB memory stick.

20. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    look at my hardware.

600w OCZ Powerstream SLI...
    hard drives and dvd roms dont mean a god damn thing, dont let anyone tlel you they do, they run MINIMAL power draws on a psu, and make no difference for this type of a system.

with my system, i draw over 600w and 700va when under full 3dmark load..
    my psu will handle it even though i have a feeling its why my GTX cant overclock very far.. its ran out of power.

and your trying to do this crap with a piece of **** antec 400 watter ?

jesus dude gimmie a break,

even with my 7800 GTX i was pulling 400va. ad the volt/amp reading is what you have to look at. wattage is important too but volt/amps is where the psu gets killed.

you sir have absolutely no clue wth you're talking about. (unless i missed somewhere that he went and got a big 'ol power supply

i tell you all what,,, go get yourself a Killawatt device and find out the truth about what kinda power draws are happening with your system.

ANYTHING, i dont care who makes it,, ANY psu uder 600w isnt going to power an 8800 GTX properly,, i give a rats ass who you think you are, or what you wish you have done with your hardware,,, you aint got enough power to handle that card... END OF STORY.

not to mention that 98% of the psu's out there cant even handle the wattage they are rated for and have HORRIBLE droop on the 12v rails where that video card draws its power from.

p.s.

those who would deny the truth think about this, overclocking a cpu will double and triple its power consumption, so a 65w cpu can EASILY pull 130+ watts under load.
    a conroe running 1.5v into it will yank 150+w out of a power supply, then the ram, the mobo, hard drives, fans and then slap on a 8800 series card,, yup you best have a 600w psu sitting in there or higher.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007