Fake 8800GTX?!! 396 core? 1400mhz memory?!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by iamtukm, Jun 15, 2007.

1. iamtukm

iamtukm Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTX 768MB
    Bigpipe, you mention the previous owner might have modified it...wouldnt the clocks return to stock/default if he sold it to me? or are you saying he modify the bios or whatever...I AM TOTALLY CLUELESS if thats the case...how do i check the card bios and restore everything to how they should be. I would really appreciate it if i can get this thing to normal without having to maybe DEPEND on rivatuner to get the clocks right...

In system tweaks in rivatuner, i havent changed the clocks and they are indeed defaulted at 396mhz/700mhz (1400mhz effective) for all the mode (2d,lowpower,performance).

2. iamtukm

iamtukm Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTX 768MB
    imimmfn, its not the psu....it meets the requirement easily. The card require around 450w with at least 29A on 12V rail. I dont know why people have the habit to overestimate the amount of power they need..I aint running no SLI with a gazillion harddrives here...the issue here is the gpu clocks are wrong. I had a 8800GTS before and it was fine and that thing doesnt hog way more than a gtx...besides with my components the total system comsumption is probably about 350watt..i dont got much stuff.

Anyway, please someone look at my post above and see if its the bios problem and tell me how to fix it. thanks!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  3. Dil-Tech

Dil-Tech Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 4850 1gb
    First, try upping the clocks to the standard 575/900 and run a few benchmarks to verify it works properly.

It sounds like the guy tried to bios flash it to consume less power in idle and set the 3d clocks as well as the 2d clocks.

If it works fine when you clock it up, merely flash the bios to a standard one.

4. ultimate360

ultimate360 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7900GT KO 256MB
    I think it's your PSU. I rec. getting atleast a 500watt PSU because I never seen a GTX owner running their card with a PSU under 500watt of total power.

5. iamtukm

iamtukm Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTX 768MB
    K will try up the clocks. how to flash bios back to standard? show me how. Pretend like i know nothing >< (which is probably true :p)

6. AccordTR

AccordTR Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 8800GTX
    If you could read... which it seems you can't, I clearly stated its the same antec psu, expect the 480w model, it therefore runs at the same 32A on the rails as his does. My point is not the HD's, my point Is the highend MB, CPU OC, 8800GTX, 5 HD's (Raid 0, so they spin cont), Full water cooling, Xtreme Music, all on the 480w antec version. But hey as you stated, 'seriously' i guess I dont know anything.....

7. Dethred

Dethred Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD/ATI HD4870x2
    Why are you even posting this. If you bought it from Ebay, and the product is not as described, ask for a refund or submit for a refund via Ebay or Paypal.

I wouldn't be surprised if the previous owner screwed it up via overclocking and modded the bios to those clocks to make it run without crashing or artifacting. If you can overclock it to standard specs and have it run 30 minutes in ATiTool 100% artifact free, then look into flashing the bios back to the correct clocks.

8. jcarlin123

jcarlin123 Member Guru

GPU:
    xfx 7900gs 256mb @650/1900
    iamtukm, here's a link to nibitor - an nvidia bios editor
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-Tweak/NVIDIA-BIOS-Editor.shtml
    Nibitor is able to read the current bios from your card. Then it is simply a matter of changing the default clock speeds (and default fanspeeds) back to normal. You do not have to enter any code to edit the bios. It is all laid out simply ;)

9. jcarlin123

jcarlin123 Member Guru

GPU:
    BTW, the bios information you displayed showed that the bios had been modified. So like Dethred said, if you can run it with any hitches at the default speeds, then you should go ahead and flash it back to normal. Good luck :)

10. iamtukm

iamtukm Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTX 768MB
    First of all, to everyone who said it was psu...YOU ARE WRONG :smoke:

WOOT! Ok, i pump the clocks to what my 8800gtx should be (575/900) and ran 3dmark05 again without any problem. Results: 17,000! :p so its fine. The best thing of all of this is i bought the card on ebay for 365 USD ><

Thanks for everyones help. So do i use the nvidia bios editor or flash it...flashing and bios edit is different thing right? how do i flash or is bios editor better for my problem. Ive looked at the editor and i have no clue how to use that thing. And as for bios flashing...i dont think i will do it until someone explains it well cause i know if i do it wrong my card is trash. I need to make a floppy disk with dos on it to flash right? i dont have a floppy drive btw. and do you save the bios file to another floppy or something? ><

For now im just going to depend solely on rivatuner for clock control :/ ...i guess

11. jcarlin123

jcarlin123 Member Guru

GPU:
  12. jcarlin123

jcarlin123 Member Guru

GPU:
    If you're not too confident with flashing, then I would suggest that you just use rivatuner for the time being, and make sure that you tick the 'automatically apply settings on startup' box. Anyway, good to know that you haven't been ripped off on ebay ;)

13. iamtukm

iamtukm Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTX 768MB
    are you saying i need to edit the bios first AND/THEN flash it (the edited bios)? or possible to just edit the bios in windows with the bios editor and not need to flash. If its possible to edit the bios easily with the editor then i will spend more time searching on how.

And yea i didnt get rip off >< more like i rip him off cause he set a buy it now price of $365 and was newly listed so i bought it right away. i can actually sell it back for $500 but with these bios clocks, i would have to mention it in the auction which is bad >< now im wondering maybe the previous owner didnt know how to fix/change clocks so it was slow and wanted to sell >< which probably mean there was another owned before that changed the bios maybe >< who knows

14. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon R9
    I just noticed you upgraded from the 6800's. Looking back, did they perform well in SLI?

15. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    970 GTX

^Sounds like good advise to me.^
    I would suggest you run the card for awhile on the REAL stock clocks with different games using rivatuner before you use the bios editor to fix it.
    the second clock they show in the highlited string I posted is the shader domain clock but who ever flashed that card set it and also tried to make it the 3d clock.LOL he also lowered the voltage in 3d mode.
    Anyway as you see your PS is fine, your card is probably okay and those people that think you need a 600 watt ps are, well,....
    If the engineers at Nvidia state a reccomended watt and amp rating then I would believe them not some unknown poster on a forum.

And for someone to see the bios info you posted and to still say it's your PS and that everyone else is full of crap to think otherwise please remove your foot from your mouth now:approval:

16. Solinari

Solinari Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    NBitor won't flash the BIOS for you, all it does is allow you to edit it. It sounds very dubious to me, why someone would do this to a 8800GTX then sell it on without restoring it to default settings is beyond me.

By the way, the other clock is the Shader Clock and that also seems a little low compared to other 8800GTX cards i have seen. The voltage is lower as well, 1.2V instead of 1.3V.

17. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    970 GTX
    agreed it is wierd.
    Iamtukm in the string you posted
    $1100010000 Performance level 0 : 396MHz/945MHz/700MHz/1.20V/100%
    396 core clock
    945 shader domain clock
    700 mem clock
    1.2vdc 3d mode voltage
    100% fan ratio
    That 1.2vdc 3d mode volts could be a problem when you load up the card with a game as stated before it needs to be 1.3vdc.
    that string should look like this
    576mhz/1350mhz/900mhz/1.3v/100%

18. keldererik

keldererik Active Member

GPU:
    2x 3870X2 1GB Crossfire X
    Take a Wattmeter im sure it is well below 400. Look at my system, it runs great and it's only an OCZ 420Watt. Note the 2900 takes more power too.

19. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    Guru review already did it http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/401/3/ peaked at 365 watts and recommend a 450 watter as a bare minimum.Even if that 420 watter does truly give 420 watts that means he has 55 watts spare.That psu is running flatout 24/7 when i first got my gtx i ran it for a while with my tagan 480 watter and although it ran ok when i upgraded my psu every benchmark i had increased just a little.The psu is the most important thing in a pc without it nothing works.If you are going to penny pinch the psu is not the component to do it with.To run a 8800 gtx with a 420 watt psu is maddness.If it pops its caps it could destroy the pc.If someone can afford a 8800 gtx then they can afford a decent psu to run it.In the guru review of the ati 2900 when they measured the wattage that peaked at 400 watts http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/431/13/ so you have a full 20 watts to play with and you run a overclocked cpu.This is a quote from the 2900 review.In my view the Radeon HD 2900 XT requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system, and I think that's barely on the safe side. Also recommended is 35 AMP's on the 12 volts rails for stable power distribution.

20. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    970 GTX
    John as the article states 363 watts for that system but that is measured at the wall plug not the PS outputs. Most PS run between 75 to 80% efficency depending on load so that means the system is pulling around 277 to say 300 watts from the PS under a high load condition and most of that is from the 12vdc rails.
    Now I am not reccomending someone should buy the bare minimum PS but in this case his PS is not the problem.
    The antec has very good protection circuits so it will not be destroying any components if it fails. Which brings up another point if it can't supply the load demand of the card it will probably just shut itself down due to overcurrent or overtemp sensors kicking in. At the least he would see reboots, BSOD's or shutdowns.

Now trying to get back to on topic, I wonder why anyone would set the bios to those clocks and voltages??