Faith shaken in AMD..

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Unfettered, Nov 5, 2011.

1. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Okay, I understand your point about R and D costs but how does that affect the prices of cpu's for example?

It takes intel the same R/D cost to make top of the line Xeon for 2 grand a piece, any of the i7 X for over a grand, and say the good old 920/930 that costs like 250 bucks.

You can argue that the difference from xeon and i7 ***X for example is the fact that ***X didn't pass some tests the xeon passed, which is true. the extreme edition chips are those. To manufacture they cost exactly the same, but xeon costs a whooping grand more because it was more stable.

Then they test xremes vs regular cpus so for example if you avoid the whole 6core difference, and stick to say older 4core extreme edition, you'll see that if it passes certain tests, its an extreme edition, if it fails, its rebranded to lower i7. Same price to R and D but very different consumer prices.

I don't want to start a discussion about monopolies here because it's not related to the thread but seriously? No markets in the US are monopolized?
    Monopolized market isn't a market with 1 and only 1 company. It is a market of what could be 10-20 corporations which keep the market to themselves and eliminate anyone else smaller than they are who is trying to enter the market.

Remember what happened to ageia? They made a product that wasn't even directly targeted to compete against amd/nvidia but even then, still, they were offered to be bought out, or forced out of business ;)

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    AMD cpus are much faster and cheaper than intel. P2s are the fastest see-pee-uuus evar

/closethread before unfettered makes over 9000 accounts

3. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    I feel the Maleficrus within him. I believe it to be so.

4. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    So, the farce is strong with this one?

5. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I thought maleficarus was anti-amd, or are you referring to his AMD fanboyism.

6. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I am not an Intel fanboy, I loved my Althlon 64 and then Athlon 64 x2 rigs but I had an objection to that statement:

If you've seen i7 920 and etc benches when they turned HT on and off in multithreaded apps, you'd see it's not a "bogus tech" It only helps in certain tasks but its better to have it rather than not to have it ;)

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Ageia was never prevented from succeeding in any way. In fact, Ageia did in fact succeed. Their goal was to start a company, develop a product, then be bought out by a larger company....which is exactly what happened. In fact, Ageia was up for sale for it's entire (though rather short) existance. The founder of Ageia was even actively shopping for a buyer.

BTW....the term "monopoly" is used because it implies a single entity.
    What you're referring to is a cartel (or oligopoly)....which is also illegal in the US....
    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011