1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

facial recognition by the government...your thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by airbud7, Jul 8, 2019.

1. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    Did you consent to them using your Driver's License photo to be used in this broad manner? I know I did not and I'm not aware of any State that has any disclaimer like that.

So no, I am not OK with them abusing power, once again. This ultimately leads to people coming into our homes with no warrant to search for a crime. But hey, you have nothing to worry about if you aren't a criminal, right? (or whatever nonsense people tell themselves to justify losing your freedoms and liberty) :rolleyes:

2. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Wow pointless response almost feel like buying a tin foil hat what has email go to do with facial recognition stopping criminals moving about great idea unless you are a criminal

3. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    Meh, if you have a driving license and a vehicle that is registered under your name you can already be tracked via your vehicles regie plate any way, so yeah nothing new!

I have less of an issue with the government doing it than I do with big business using the tech to do a Minority Report style custom ads that pop up as you walk about the place. It's already enough of a pain with the systems we have in place just now with cookies and data mining sticking so called 'ads you may be interested in' on to everything you view online but having it constantly in your face the entire time would get real old, real fast.

*Yes am aware that the system in Minority Report used retinal scanning rather than face recog, but I am guessing the results could be the same*

airbud7 likes this.
  4. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    hey thanks bro...you just brought a new perspective for me to ponder.

5. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Email is private. Where and when I am and are, are also private.

So again, if you have nothing to hide, well, just hand over all of your private infomation to me immediately...

See how silly your point is yet?

6. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    that is really something....thanks for sharing!

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Not really.
    Our behavioural heads honchos told us to follow some pointers, and some basic Intel cross reference.
    When a subject is calm, smiling composed no alarm is triggered.
    When subject sweats, twitches and does a lot of anxious gestures,all wires are tripped, even if subject is "innocent" of any crime.
    So, the key is combine a clean crime record and a Zen calm state.
    It's nearly rude and impossible so suggest that subject is suspected in any kind of crime.
    But you didn't heard this from me.;)

fantaskarsef and airbud7 like this.
  8. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    haha...well said...I love reading your post...your crazy/cool/smart.....:D

9. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4375
    I think they're working on gait recognition as well. So even if you'd try to travel incognito they'll pick you up by your gait which is kind of insane.

10. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I gave my view on facial recognition as requested by the author of this thread, I see no mention of email what is your view on facial recognition. I suggest you start another thread about your email worries and your desire to have other users private information. I complete agree with governments improving security and facial recognition will be a good option if implemented correctly and is part of other security measures used in the UK, but I believe we a several years away from 100% trusting facial recognition to get it right every time hence the need for checks and balances but anything that makes terrorism and criminals lives harder is something I would vote for.

XP-200 likes this.

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Thanks for sharing.

The sad part is, though, me as a law abiding citizen, in a country which's police force is NOT as rigid and authoritarian in approach as, say, the US's, cops are still persons of respect... that's how I was raised.

So when I get picked out of the line at the airport, I'm bound to be nervous, clean conscience and criminal record aside. Even when I know I haven't done anything wrong it's perfectly normal for the average person to become nervous. And then, especially if you are nervous even though innocent, to be asked further and in more detail only worsens the situation for the one questioned. That's pretty normal for most people I believe, and only shows how such problems come up. If people just stand in line at airports and get a "false positive" from facial recognition it's a self fulfilling prophecy that there's bound to be further questioning.

12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    It's too easy....

You are being foolish and your point makes you a proponent of a totalitarian regime akin to 1984.

If you are so concerned about security, then you should only support an increase in police numbers, and reintroducing 'stop and search' and you should really like stop n search, because if you have nothing to hide...

Anyway, my point is this: your claim is that (in general) people should not be concerned if they have nothing to hide. Sorry if that went over your head, but that is the lynchpin of your argument, and it is beyond fallacious.

Also, who decides what 'implemented correctly' means? YOU? How is that determined? Oh, lets spend a few million quids of taxpayers money for a think tank on what the definitions are, shall we? And who should be in that think tank? Good people? And who should decide what the definition of 'good people' actually are? Well, lets get a think tank together to define what that definition should be...Oh wait, you point in now spiralling down a drainpipe of taxpayers money being burnt just so you can decide the simpliest of your points.

And there is more; 'improving security' is yet another loose term, only in that it would require an analysis of the current security, and to further the discussion, where the improvements can be made....more tax payers money being spent just to define your statements.

You sir, should run for office, the civil service will love you throwing money into think tanks, when all you really need to do is reintroduce stop and search, and increase the number of police officers.

Criminals love this country! The police do not carry firearms! The police are not allowed to stop citizens at random! There are less per capita police officers needed to combat crime! You can walk down the street with a concealed weapon, drugs, knives, acid, lockpick and the police cannot stop you - if you can even see any on the streets!

That should be your concern, because facial recognition cannot see inside someones pockets, inside someone's mind and, cannot stop people wearing a disguise!

Have you not played Hitman???

airbud7 likes this.
  13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Wait till it becomes "thoughts recognition"...

14. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Recognize my ass.

I suddenly have a second thought about it....

user1, mbk1969, airbud7 and 1 other person like this.
  15. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB ❤ 144hz
    It's in the early stages, but it probably will improve with better AI, cameras and I read somewhere there's some manual intervention (which is good)...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    In reality, it improves with more spying done on the population due to more input pictures to train the AI. Which in itself is hilarious and self fulfilling at the same time.
    As for manual intervention, this is always the last straw. I agree that such a system too needs a human to control it, but then again, who watches the watchers etc.

17. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Well, this went well, i am glad i never mentioned the dirty spoon. lol

18. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    hahahaha!....you crazy sverek you know that!.....:D

19. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    You walk by a chemist and the personnel Airbud advert for pile cream or 'personnel enhancement' pops up (ps not suggesting anything here dude just giving an example ;) )

You want to worry about what the government is doing I can bet you any money you want that what the government does with it will be far less embarrassing and annoying in a day to day environment than what private business would do.

fantaskarsef and airbud7 like this.
  20. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    haha!....yea, dog food commercials in my face.....that is one big cookie for sure.