Facebook's Libra banned in Germany and France

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by anticupidon, Sep 21, 2019.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Source:
    PARIS (Reuters) - France and Germany have agreed to block Facebook’s Libra cryptocurrency, the French finance ministry said on Friday.

In a joint statement, the two governments affirmed that “no private entity can claim monetary power, which is inherent to the sovereignty of nations”.

Nobody asked for it, nobody wants a proprietary cryptocurrency engulfing your private spending and having even more control over your life.
    Let's be serious here, this is a wake-up call-the Orwellian dystopia is getting closer than you think and some people are greeting it with open arms and closed eyes and brains shut off.
    Your opinion?

Disclaimer: This thread wants to discuss the cryptocurrency status in everyone's life and future impact. Political agendas, name-calling and stupid posts will not be tolerated.

386SX likes this.
  2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    With the size the large corporations have reached, the sci-fi notion of "Megacorp" is slowly coming closer to reality. Facebook wanting their own currency is an indication of that. Governments might be trying to regulate or stop them currently, but who knows how far these corporations will be able to go with increased lobbying and getting even more involved in lawmaking. One day, "Megacorps" might even achieve sovereignty with private armed forces and crap.

The Megacorp Dystopia is coming, I tell you.

Edit: pair that with the weird identity politics we have where some people think they're Elves and Orcs and want their own pronouns, and there you have it: Shadowrun :p (No dragons though.)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Neo Cyrus and anticupidon like this.
  3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    The day this BS becomes legal tender will end the global economy forever.

I wish he would just stick to running a website for teenagers seeking validation

anticupidon likes this.
  4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    should be banned in the whole EU lol

Alessio1989, 386SX, Neo Cyrus and 2 others like this.

5. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    So this is the cryptocurrency which controlled by a company? That ruins the whole meaning of cryptocurrency of being private.

Choke on dick, facebook.

Neo Cyrus likes this.
  6. Clanger

Clanger Master Guru

GPU:
    igpu
    if farcebook(sic) suggests something then they will make a fukton of money and users will end up with a royal buttfuking as sure as my arsehole points south. :D

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Facebook already knows who their audience is and will do everything to coerce and manipulate feeble minds and what they consider as targets.
    Empowering influencers, make regulations favouring their agenda and the infliction point is done. The rest is just keep it going.

Neo Cyrus and Clanger like this.
  8. Clanger

Clanger Master Guru

GPU:
    igpu
  9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @Clanger some people just love their Matrix.
    That can't be helped. The reality is harsh as it is, why think freely (or thinking for real) and add more suffering.?
    Just put on my digital handcuffs and give me my sweet convenience.

10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    He went about this the wrong way, he should have attached lootboxes and MT to the currency, then by the time anyone noticed it would be too late. lol

Loobyluggs likes this.

11. Clanger

Clanger Master Guru

GPU:
    igpu
    :rolleyes:

12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    That's rich! What do they think the Federal Reserve is? It's a private company that's in charge of the US's money supply. In fact, in most of the world's advanced economies, monetary power is in the hands of a private entity, with the government borrowing money from them.

Facebook being in charge of its own currency is nothing special. Private companies already issue their own money or company credit. Libra being a cryptocurrency is also ironic, since the very idea of a cryptocurrency is money that's not controlled by a central authority - as such, I don't see it as a real cryptocurrency.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    I think that key word here is: "Power"

anticupidon likes this.
  14. <Glances over at his stash of gold, silver, guns, and bullets>

No thanks, I'm good.

airbud7 and anticupidon like this.
  15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    Please add Canada to that list. The Zucc already monitors me when I'm on the throne, and I don't even use Farcebook, never have.