1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook could be forced to pay you nearly $8G after ‘disaster’ hack attack

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by airbud7, Oct 4, 2018.

1. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Hacked Facebook users could be owed as much as 6,000 pounds ($7,800) in compensation as a result of the security breach revealed last week.

Legal experts have told The Sun that damages could run into the "thousands" for anyone affected by the hack — if you can prove you felt distressed.

[​IMG]

Last Friday, Facebook revealed that hackers gain access to 50 million accounts

The breach was possible thanks to several bugs in Facebook's systems, which were exploited by hackers.

Facebook logged 90 million users out as a safety precaution, but the bugs had been live in the website's code since June 2017.

[​IMG]

The Sun spoke to legal experts at U.K. law firm Slater and Gordon, who revealed that affected British citizens could make a claim against Facebook.

more...https://www.foxnews.com/tech/facebo...aster-hack-attack-that-left-50m-users-exposed

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    No judge would give that ruling in the US. At most they'll be required to pay for some credit/identity monitoring program.

3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    Perhaps a class action payout of one dollar and nine cents each.

4. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    50 million hacked accounts, $7800 each? That would mean they'd be in for up to € 390.000.000.000 (390 billion).

Anybody thinking they'll see money from this is either very optimistic or outright naive, sorry. There's no way they'll pay out every account, and to prove that you were distressed is near impossible.

6. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    The article linked by the Verge talking about having a case based on Identity Theft makes more sense to myself.

Account Security Questions/Answers etc , Passwords that people don't often rotate Personal Information like DOB, address (location information from the app) - Metadata.

7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Yes they should be but with what number / sum? Nobody knows what your data is worth, when Suckerberg was at the EU to "answer their questions", they even asked him if he knew what a FB profile was worth, so that there could be any compensation for loss of personal data or getting hacked. Even though he wasn't able to answer all the questions in the little time they gave him, I'm fairly sure he can't even name the proper worth of an account.

airbud7 likes this.
  8. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX1080 Ti
    As soon as i saw Foxnews in the URL i was out.

Dynarush_333 likes this.
  9. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1 Gaming
    Try proving that you were distressed by the hack and maybe you get a "sorry" but no way everyone is getting 8G.

10. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080
    I don't remember exactly where I was distressed. Or exactly when. Or how I got to facebook in the first place. Or left it.
    But I remember Facebooks laughter when they held me down and tried to steal all my facebook stuff. Facebook and Twitter just laughed and laughed. It's indelible in my cerebrum. Facebook distressed me.

airbud7 likes this.

11. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Do they not have a risk assessment team of litigators at facebook? Jesus... Guy isn't prepared to answer anything it seems

12. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    [​IMG]
    :p

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Can I sue FB for spaming my "suggested friends" page with profiles of half naked asian chick that seem to all lead to profiles link to adult content? majortiy of the recommendations are coming from asia or some place on that side of earth. lots arent even in english, and this been going on for months, I clear that crap out daily just have 50+ more in an hour. all though when I went in to the app on my phone today intresting enough that whole sections was removed and not showing, makes me wonder if FB is actual dealing with that now that this happening too.

If it wasnt for fact I need FB to save my FFBE game so i can play it on my iphone and ipad, and have same data, I would deleted my fb page again, so far I had one made twice cause of friend wanting me to be on it I delete the page once before cause this crap was issue then too, and it starting to happen again.

I dont FB recommending/suggesting or even thinking about telling me about "friends to be added" if they dont know my id which is private I dont want any notification of friend suggestions one from them. and people been going about about FB need have an options to turn off suggested friends and or people you might know for years.

If my profile is "private" why is FB even recommending or suggesting friends to me in first place? it private for reason only people that know of my friend that is it, no else need to know and sure as hell shouldn't be getting suggestion or recommendations for friends let alone spammed by obviously hacked accounts profiles that going to adult content which last i check is against there own policys

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  15. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    No one even noticed my Jerk reference... :( Mark, Mark, Mark!

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah i didnt geting and i still don't, I just want my FB to not be spamed to hell with thise friend suggestions and people i may know that people

at this point the moment I find way to save game data for FFBE to something other then FB like Game Center I am deleting my FB page again, my friend can get over her want of me being on that.

17. Celcius

Celcius Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 380X
    If Facebook can be shown to indeed be negligent, they certainly should be held accountable, and suffer some meaningful penalty. (Question: Why does any rational adult still have a Facebook account?)

However, I think a far better use for the sum fantaskarsef mentioned, would be to offer it as a reward for the apprehension of the hackers, or, to fund a Rainbow Six-style effort to introduce the element Pb into the hacker's domes at a velocity exceeding the speed of sound. Trust me, I have absolutely no affection for Facebook, but, to be fair, they are also a victim here. Once again we seem to be overlooking dealing with the source of these problems.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  18. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
  19. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    afaik, they were attacked via a quad security vulnerbility, which they supposedly fixed rather quickly. The question always is, what other breaches could be possible now, what other hacks are in the making, what other holes are in their defense.
    While I do agree that the imaginary, huge sum would be better used on something else, they might as well spend $300 billion on projects like bringing clean drinking water to remote regions, or supply medicine to poorer regions of our planet, it doesn't even have to end up yet again spent so that their CEO has another opportunity to try and convice people how sorry he is...