Fable Legends is cancelled, Lionhead Studios to close?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by HonoredShadow, Mar 7, 2016.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Will never forget your wonderful game Black & White (1)

2. Mysteryboi

Mysteryboi Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX TITAN SC
    Black and White series hands down 1 of best games i played as a child and always wished they would of made a new 1 its a shame to see them close down black and white was such a unique and awesome game

3. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Im not surprised, i had the PC beta of Fable Legends, its abomination of a game for low IQ teenage gamers: go forward through corridors and kill mobs.
    And the previous Kinect Fable was even worst abomination.
    They ruined the franchise with these crap games instead of doing proper Fable 4 they wasted millions on this F2P crap.

4. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    ".ro" is Romania

5. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Typical, the one game we still had on PC from xbox is cancelled.

I reckon this is damage control to stop xbox rot. PC doesn't get xbox exclusives...period.

From this news I'm willing to say something is going to happen to Forza 6 Apex...don't be surprised if the PC release is cancelled.

6. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Really?

What is Ryse or ROTTR or GOW UE or.....?

Is MS shutting down games studios or cancelling PC versions to be "fair" with Xbox fanboys?

You must live in a parallel world where MS doesn't want to unify Xbox and PC gaming in his own Win10 ecosystem selling DX12 "exclusives" in his universal store (phone, xbox, windows 10).

Microsoft recommits to PC as place for new video games

7. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    You really consider GOW:UE as an exclusive? Sorry, I don't count re-releases and you probably don't remember it first time round. Where's GOW 2 and 3 etc? Where's Halo 3, 4 etc? What do you have left? Ryse? That's a Crytek game. Tomb raider? lmao. Got anymore?

You really think the "unification" would've happened if x1 did well? The only reason they're having to use this strategy is because it's not doing as well as they'd hoped. W10 adoption isn't what they'd hoped (despite "free" and dx12 being the initial selling point) and so this whole thing has to now be joined together as a united front.

8. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Quantum Break the Xbox One exclusive game, also exclusive on Windows 10.

Quantum Break is only really exclusive where Microsoft decides it is as the owner of the trademark.

Each part has his own reasons:

Independent publishers (third party) don't want exclusivity for Xbox One because they know sells are not going well enough to compensate and agreed only to be timed exclusives in some cases.

When MS is the publisher (first party) the interest is the unification of Win10 ecosystem, benefits are secondary.

Locking his "exclusives" to his universal store is limiting a lot of potential sales on PC.

If game sells were a MS priority Steam will increase these sells DRAMATICALLY.

I don't think it will be easy to see a multiplaform game locking itself to Windows 10 store on PC if the publisher or owner is not MS itself.

Do you really think MS expect to make HUGE benefits from GFWL "second edition"?

9. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I'm sorry, your point is?

10. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    My point is: you are completely wrong on this:

There is no such thing as "Xbox exclusives" anymore since MS decided to unify his ecosystem.

3rd party are timed exclusives at best and future 1st party MS games will be MS "exclusives": Xbox One and Windows 10.

11. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Repost from the Fable Legends game forum;

quote "These changes are taking effect as Microsoft Studios continues to focus its investment and development on the games and franchises that fans find most exciting and want to play."

This is maximum bs.

The games we want/ed to play we wanted years ago. GOW 2,3 etc, Halo 3, 4, 5, Forza etc etc etc. You don't need high iq to figure this out. You had full control of the situation to makes these games happen and did nothing so as to protect your xbox business.

You give us nothing except a re-release of the first GOW. We don't trust you anymore. Deal with it.

PC doesn't get xbox exclusives...period.

Epic's Tim Sweeney knows the score...

12. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Do you realize Xbox One is VERY tiny fraction of MS business...right?

Future MS DX12 exclusives will be on Xbox One and Windows 10 store.

MS long term OS strategy is to reach phone/xbox/PC unification in the same Windows 10 ecosystem.

Particular interests or desires of some Xbox customers means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in this strategy.

13. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    It's not going to happen dude. What they tell you and what actually happens are two different things.

Imagine the next Halo game is ready. Do you honestly think it'll release on both x1 and w10 simultaneously? No dude, dream on.

I've been watching this situation develop for years, nothing changes. Keep watching...

14. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Yes, i think so and Phil Spencer (Head of Xbox) too.Watch it yourself.

Something changed: MS ecosystem unification.

Halo comments from Phil Spencer March 1, 2016 Engadget interview start around 1 minute 40 seconds...:

Engadget:

The future of Xbox looks a lot like PC gaming

- Windows blog:

The Best Franchises are Coming to Xbox One and Windows 10 This Spring

- gamingbolt:

Xbox One Boss Phil Spencer On Halo PC And Improving Windows 10 Store Games Experience

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  15. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080

16. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    quote "we're not announcing anything right now."

Don't hold your breath.

17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    sad news...

black and white and fables series are like zelda and tetris... pure classic that where inovative when everyone else copying idea.

sadly the heart of Lionheart studio were Peter Molyneux (with all of his extravagance indeed), without him... well... we see now.

18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Rare seems to be making a decent new game. Last ones were Viva Pinatas.

But I am disappointed now, I really wanted to play Fable Legends.

19. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    I think you are correct that this is the strategy and what MS wants. I think MS has seen that PC gamers that have a console too are generally going for the PS4 over the XB1 because of Sony exclusives and Japanese games that never see the light of day on the PC. So they see an opportunity to sell more games to a market that was unlikely to buy their hardware anyway.

The question is, will it work? Will PC games be ok with buying Windows Store games or will they hold off for hope of Steam releases? Time and sales numbers will tell. If their first few releases bomb and don't sell well then we could see MS abandon ship on this idea.

I think MS should release games on Steam too, but lock out the ability to play those bought games on the XB1 unless you buy them in their store. That would give incentive to buy from them, but flexibility for gamers that don't care about the XB1 and would rather have the game in Steam.

20. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    MS wants to use the synergies of his ecosystem and improve the unification, one step in this direction is the PC gaming experience "consolization". :(

I'm not buying the whole MS strategy but...Who knows?

If we look at the GFWL precedent we can think MS will fail again for sure with this GFWL 2.0 but MS count on a simple fact:

- The major part of gamers are casual, console fanboys and PC gamers enthusiasts are a minority.

Sometimes we forgot that because this site has a lot of members with PCs in the medium-high end hardware range or are die-hard enthusiasts and savvy ppl.

Hopefully MS is very prone to abandon his own ideas after a few years of disasters like GFWL, Vista or Windows 8.

We can only hope their abandon waiting time is now faster than before.

As i said MS game sells is not their priority at all, the ecosystem integration is their top priority right now.

If game sells were a MS priority all Windows 10 DX12 exclusives will be on Steam (and others...) too and none will be a gift for Xbox One owners of the same game.