1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fable 3 (PC)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by JC[UK], Mar 12, 2010.

1. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    You cant yet, maybe if they release a patch.

As for Vsync, if you turn it off in game you can just force it from the control panel and you'll get 60fps instead of 30fps. Also anyone with a 120hz screen can use Nvidia inspector and change the Fable 3 profile so that the game will use highest refresh rate possible and you can get 120fps Vsync. That is if it runs well enough for you. A single 580 or 3 in SLI and it still generally runs like turd for me.

Very impressed with the game so far though. I completed the game and started a 2nd play through right away. For a game i was wanting to hate it was pretty damn good imho. Its a real case of haters gonna hate because its far better than some people have been saying.

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I was playing on Fable 3 for about 30 minutes this morning and didn't encounter the freezing or performance dip issues even with Shadows set to Very High.

And why?

Well, I re-enabled the game's v-sync option to cap the framerate at 30 fps!!!

If I allow the game to run at 60 fps with the in-game v-sync option disabled and v-sync forced via the driver or D3DOverrider then every time I open a chest or dig for treasure then the framerate plummets to 20 fps from 60 fps and I have to press START twice to fix it.

Whatever the bug is it doesn't seem to like being forced to 60 fps but it seems at 30 fps. Sure, the game feels a little laggy and unresponsive and the smoothness you get from 60 fps is gone but at least the game is playable. For now I'll leave v-sync on in-game until the developers patch the game (somehow though, I don't think they will...)

Anyways, performance issues and console limitations (all the loading screens) aside I think the game is good; funny, entertaining and nice to look at/listen to. It's certainly not a disaster but coming out the same week as Witcher 2 it does look shallow and simplistic. I've currently fallen in love with a crate guy and just need to find a wedding ring so we can marry and have sex (seems he won't bite until we're married, the prude!). A silly and very British game for sure but definitely enjoyable and, gasp, even addictive! Who'd have thought?

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    I did the whole romance thing during a subquest to the game (Taking a break from Ravenscar keep which in contrast to the main game and story is actually challenging.) but due to my high attractiveness, good nature and equipment I accidentally pushed a guy (prostitute) a bit too far and now he's waiting for a ring too, I'll likely sneak back there someday to assassinate him.
    (F3/Backspace toggling "friendly fire" on.)

Close to 50 quests done but I've barely explored the map outside of the smaller settlements though there's little need to as the in-game sanctuary map teleports to every location you can access if you've been there once, and you cover most of it (Minus some areas - three or so - and said DLC's.) during the main story.

Need to finish off the remaining silver keys, gold doors and "demon doors" though with some exceptions.
    (Certain areas need two players to function, one area going as far as requiring you to kiss, hug, dance and stuff - another that you have a child, though maybe a NPC relation would suffice - whereas many other functions rely on the infinite world mechanics so for example with certain weapons you need to go to other players and browse their world's stores as only a part - 21 to 28 out of 50 for weapons - is generated for you, goes for nearly every item in the game though you can usually find the more powerful stuff anyway and skip this.)

4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    still waiting steam to UNLOCK my game :(

5. DireBadger

DireBadger Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1070 AMP Extreme
    Yeah, gamespot gave it 7/10.

6. PhantomCracking

PhantomCracking Master Guru

GPU:
    7970 Ghz
    Set shadows to normal and everything else to v-high, running perfectly fine now.

So far, It's really good. I love the over-head hammer swing. Braveheart style!!

7. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    The sword killing animations are great, as are the pistol ones, you can do so many different and unique kill poses.

8. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    I like the sword and pistol ones best myself, hammer (squish!) and rifle (I like it how he holds it depending on how you aim and what you are targeting such as firing over the shoulder behind him or other directions.) are neat but I really laughed when one of those "hobbe" goblin enemies jumped at my character during such a kill animation and in response my hero shoves the pistol down it's throat and launches the "hobbe" off the screen by firing it inside him. :D
    (Slow-motion execution move with the pistol is pretty cool also with how he empties a entire clip into legs, arms, groin and finally the head.)

(I think I posted some such screens in the screenshot thread.)

EDIT: Only found this sword one for now.
    http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4748/fable32011051916522606.jpg
    (The fog makes the image pretty washed out unfortunately.)

EDIT: A hammer one.
    http://img52.yfrog.com/img52/6392/fable32011051818114635.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  9. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Yeah, Witcher 2 could learn a thing about proper kill animations from this, or Assassins Creed.

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    This game is fun. I just found Understone last night under Bowerstone and liberated the underground city which had shades of BioShock about it (mind control of the workers by an ominous voice) which was fun especially fighting skeletal enemies. The combat isn't that deep and does get a little repetitive at times during the quests but I like that there are lots of enemies and they aren't afraid to all attack at once. As Jonas mentioned the slow-mo deathkills are a hoot to see.

No more performance issues (hitching and framerate drops) either with v-sync enabled in-game and the framerate capped to 30 fps. The motion-blur does get hard on the eyes at time and the controls feel somewhat laggier than at 60 fps but the game is far more playable than it was before.

Last edited: May 25, 2011

11. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Witcher 2 animations r like DA2. Unrealistic. Sword swinging too..its sht and crap. FABLE 3 animations r good. best is Asssions creed.

i think i know why people love TW2. because their pc stresses and it has options like uber sampling, ssao etc..then they call it PC GAME..oh not forget nude scenes..just way to fool people.

anyway these r my opinions and cant represent facts.

12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    [​IMG]

13. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    lol..i smell too much RAGE on this now. and as i see this time there r dogs too...

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    Apparently the PC version is supposed to come with the DLC. So how do I get a new dog? Google and Fable 3 wikis didn't seem to want to give me an answer.

A lot of things are bugging me about the game:
    1 - No inventory menu. - Absolute insanity
    2 - No health bar. - Annoying
    3 - Not optimized at all (neither the game or drivers). - Inexcusable, both MS and AMD should be flogged
    4 - All NPCs have a chance of giving you an STD (or so says a Fable 3 wiki), even Elise as I found out. 2/5 times STDs, 2/5 times children, from an NPC as clean as the game allows. So the lowest odds of getting an STD are apparently about the same as having children. - Absolutely retarded
    5 - They even managed to screw up the child system. My first was born white but grew up to become black, whoever programmed that was lazy as it gets. - Retarded

Oh and there is no way to get rid of STDs though I'm not sure if they're actually anything on the character that can be spread or not.

Despite all the game's flaws it's actually still fun. Anyone who enjoyed the original Fable will enjoy this game. I can't comment on Fable 2 because MS decided to be dicks and make that one an XplodingBox 360 exclusive.

15. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    The first Fable was definitely better, but this is fun too.

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    You misread or something like that Neo.

PC version supports the DLC but need them purchased separately. :)
    (I'm glad I had a thousand or so points remaining so I could grab the two quest related ones and then a variety of others though two or so were actually free, not all X360 DLC are available either but it's all item related aside from these two quest DLC and the dog appearance changing one.)

17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Finally STEAM unlocked my game..set everything to MAX and game runs awesome and looks great..whats the AA method they use here..so good..no jaggies and no performance hit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

50-80 FPS all the time!

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Press START/Esc to go to the Sanctuary and to your immediate left where Jasper is standing is the dog basket with the dog asleep in it. Walk up to it and press A (or whatever the keyboard equivalent is) and you can change the dog type from the menu on the left as well as give the dog a name/rename it. I bought most of the DLC so I have around 8 dog types including an amusing clockwork one!!! The free one is a boxer I believe.

Check the Marketplace as there's a lot of free DLC there, samplers basically from the full packs.

@Mr.Bigtime - How can you stomach the screen tearing from playing the game without v-sync? When I tried it it was ghastly and made me nauseous, more so than the overdone motion-blur at 30 fps!!! :3eyes:

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    P.S. I chose the white outfit from the palace when I started the game and didn't try on the one shown in Mr.Bigtime's screenshots. Is it possible to still return to the palace and collect it as it looks nice and even though I have some dozen outfits now - my favourite being the soldier's - I'd like that as well.

Just got married last night and had a bridge wedding which was cute. I returned to my house and went to bed but my partner did a runner. How do you actually have sex (as I assume there's an Achievement for it)? I thought there'd be an option when selecting the bed but I only had the option of Sleep which brought up a menu that allowed me to select the time and whether I wanted protected or unprotected sex (I think I found a condom during my looting).

Also I bought a house and rented it out but when I search the cupboards I'm told that I'm stealing. How? I'd just bought the house so all the contents must be mine technically as the new tenant wouldn't have had time to move in!!!

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    According to the video options file in the game install folder the AA is Temporal AA similar to that used in some PS3 games such as Devil May Cry 4.

I believe it works by blending two alternate frames together with a slight offset and it may be the reason for the game's 30 fps cap (could be rendering internally at twice that to apply the temporal AA effect). I think it works well but I have seen a few jaggies here and there on chests and stuff but nothing to get annoyed about. The game has so much post-processing and motion-blur anyway that even without any AA at all I doubt you'd see many jaggies outside of static screenshots.