F1 2012 thread

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Anarion, Jan 25, 2012.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah he will but he'll need a strong car. Which he won't have.

2. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    yeah.. that's definitely true to make it easier and more probable for him. I genuinely hope they develop a good car for him, as this could be a very exciting season. Otherwise, it would just be the McLaren and Red Bull drivers battling for WDC.

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Hard to say anything about who's car is the strongest. I hope that qualifying is dry.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Lotus will not have a strong enough car to challenge for the title. An occasional podium should be possible, with fairly regular points finishes. Looks like Kimi is still not happy with his power steering, they had to change his steering column halfway into P1. From what I've seen so far, Mercedes seems fairly impressive and I have a sneaky suspicion that McLaren will be strong as well. My prediction is McLaren>RedBull>Mercedes atm. tiny margins. Problem is McLaren and RedBull have by far the best drivers out of those 3 teams.

Edit: I will stay up for P3 and Q tomorrow morning I think, might as well. Also have to say that I was not impressed with SKYs ad breaks in P1. Something that would never happen on BBC. Plus the SKY team seems a bit amateurish compared to last year BBCs line up of commentators. SKY is trying to put too much emphasis on flashy graphics etc, lacking content though.

BTW, the official F1 Timing app costs £19.99 on Android market, what a rip off! Thank god for .apk. Nice app, don't get me wrong, but £20 for something that used to be free (without the fancy graphics) is a joke.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

5. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    there's no question that McLaren has a strong car this season, question is how strong it performs relative to the RB8. For in my mind, the RB8 is still the best car on the field, followed by McLaren, then maybe Mercedez. 4th spot would be a contest for Ferrari and Lotus.

6. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Oh yeah Hamilton takes pole. :)

7. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
  8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Really happy for Grosjean, Lotus is indeed strong. Shame about Räikkönen. **** happens, bad luck. HRT is a big joke.

So far it looks like McLaren is fastest, then Lotus, then Mercedes and then RedBull. After that it's hard to say. Ferrari is extremely poor.

9. timSR3

timSR3 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 480
    Enjoyed quali. I can't help but break a smile when seeing RBR struggling and even fighting to keep their car on the black stuff. I don't dislike the team, or their drivers, but to see a difference in the top 4 drivers is welcome change. Its early days, and this formality may not continue, but either way it's going to be an interesting and exciting season. Roll on 6am tomorrow morning :D

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Gutted for Kimi but hey, such is life and it'll make for interesting racing tomorrow (I have this feeling that he'll wipe in the first corner though). Lets see now how good vettel is, mr. untouchable will be making mistakes because for once in his life he will be pushing the car to the limit. I had a feeling about Hamilton, he's my tip for this season, the car seems strong, he seems level headed and when you get a happy Hamilton in a fast car, he's unbeatable. Hate to say that but it's true.

11. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    eclap, I'm hoping for rain, Hamilton rock in rain conditions.

Ok, I've got my clock set for 5:30am tomorrow (I must be mad).

12. swISS

swISS Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX980 Ti
    Perhaps Lotus and Mercedes can mix alittle with McLaren and RedBull. I usually dont find the time trial that interesting as alot of things can happen the next day in the actual race. (Rain, Injurys, Crashes)

I do hope that it wont be as boring as last year though, it was just ****ing dull. I could barely be arshed to watch it.

13. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    it's good to see Lotus has a good car to start with, and Mercedes too! It means Kimi and Schumi would be at it again! Romain is a surprise though for me.

this would be the season for SV to prove himself, when he races with a car that isn't miles ahead with the other teams. we'll have to see, it's just the first race.. i know Newey wouldn't let this go out of hand. plus there's still these "DRS activated F-duct" from Merc that everyone's noses are on.. so plenty more of drama to unfold.

lastly, HRT better get their act on. both them and Marussia don't have KERS (the only teams who don't have KERS afaik). but at least marussia is closer to caterham, which is the best out of the rookie teams last year.

14. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Webber Qualified without KERS.

15. swISS

swISS Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX980 Ti
    And there Grossjean goes, long way to go for him :)

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Great race for Kimi. Very happy. McLaren so far ahead it's a joke.

17. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Yup, Kimi did good. And Button was totally invincible today. Too bad Grosjean from Lotus was out so early. Hamilton wasn't too happy after the race, he looked so pissed, I don't blame him much. For what ever reason he didn't have enough pace today to take the win, 3rd place isn't too shappy though. What a rip off Vettel took advantage of the pace car by pitting and securing 2nd place that way. :)

I thought the race was a little too static in the front places today, I don't think Hamilton and Button did a single overtake, except for blue flag traffic.

Looking forward to Sepang in Malaysia next week, that's a proper race track. Melbourne is a little boring track.

18. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Reading the Australian F1 race i say that McLaren are quick but how quick ? Buttons car was good but it was running in front with clean air. When Hamilton was behind Vettels car both the Redbull and McLaren looked even. Webber was catching the front when he had clean air ahead of him but couldn't really get close to Hamilton after the safety care to make a pass. So im reading between Redbull and McLaren who is in front with clean air has the advantage over the other.

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Not really, McLaren easily dominant.

20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Nice race for Kimi. If only there wasn't that qualifying cockup. One week before Malaysia.